Re: [soapbuilders] Round 4 "Fault" test endpoint

    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 7, 2002
      Re: "simple-rpc-encoded"

      Operation "echoMultipleFaults3" has two string input parameters, and the
      possible fault messages consist of a single string. Which input parameter is
      to be echoed in the fault message for the different "whichFault" cases?

      RC

      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 7, 2002
        Re: complex-rpc-encoded

        There is a discrepency between the prose specification and the WSDL
        definitions for operations "echoMultipleFaults1" and "echoMultipleFaults2".
        I am proceeding on the assumption that the WSDL is correct and that control
        parameter "1" results in ComplexFault1, and so on.

        RC

        > I've updated the WSDLs and the test specifications at
        > http://soapinterop.java.sun.com/soapbuilders/r4/index.html.
        >
        > I've restructured some of the tests and removed a not-so-realistic use
        > case from complex-rpc-encoded/doc-literal. Let me know if it needs
        > further clarification.
        >
        > Have a nice weekend!
        > -Arun
        >
        > Bob Cunnings wrote:
        >
        > > I think it's a good idea, it would be easy to do. In the case of arrays
        > > how about having the input message specify the number of items in
        > > the returned array as well as the value to be used for the items?
        > > (one value would be repeated n times) Otherwise the array size will
        > > have to be fixed in the spec or left to the whim of the receiver.This
        > > expands the size of the input messages, e.g.
        > > "echoExtendedStructFault" would require 6 input params, one for
        > > the size and 5 to define the struct members. However, like you
        > > say, it's always satisfying to see the request data echoed in the
        > > reponse for validation purposes.
        > >
        > > RC
        > >
        > > > All simple-rpc-encoded tests pass. All complex-rpc-encoded envelopes
        > > > look fine on the first glance. I'll be doing a detailed analysis
        later.

        > > > Do you think it makes sense to have an input parameter that can be
        used
        > > > to populate the fault detail element ? For instance, if it's a
        > > > StringFault, then echoStringFault will have the method operation as
        > > > echoStringFault(String param) and then "param" is used in the detail
        > > > element of fault. That way I know what exactly I'm expecting in the
        > > > fault detail.
        > > >
        > > > This will need another update to your endpoints but will validate the
        > > > data contained within the fault. What do you say ?
        > > >
        > > > Thanks,
        > > > -Arun

        > > me know

        > > If so,

        > > env:Server is the

        > > construct

        > > is out of

        http://rd.yahoo.com/M=229441.2336363.3766536.2225242/D=egroupweb/S=170570101
        4:HM/A=1189560/R=0

        > > Service

        > > <http://members.tripod.com/%7Eapgupta/index.html>

        > > http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/ya/yahoo_geocities/lrec2b_1_01.jpg >

        http://rd.yahoo.com/M=212804.2303158.3720906.2225242/D=egroupweb/S=170570101
        4:HM/A=810327/R=0/

        > > *http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info?.refer=blrecs >

        > > http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/ya/yahoo_geocities/lrec2b_2_02.gif >

        http://rd.yahoo.com/M=212804.2303158.3720906.2225242/D=egroupweb/S=170570101
        4:HM/A=810327/R=1/

        14:HM/A=1189558/R=0/*http://www.bmgmusic.com/acq/ee/q6/enroll/mhn/9/>

        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 8, 2002
          Ok, the WM endpoints and test clients are updated to match the new
          definitions. An endpoint and test clients are available for the "soapfault"
          tests also, linked to from the round 4 page [1].

          Something to bear in mind when looking at wire dumps:
          In "complex-rpc-encoded", operations "echoSOAPStructFault" and
          "echoMultipleFaults1" differ in the way the SOAPStruct value is passed in
          the request message. According to the WSDL, message
          "echoSOAPStructFaultRequest" uses a part (parameter) of type
          "SOAPStructFault" to carry the struct value whereas message
          "echoMultipleFaults1Request" uses a part of type "SOAPStruct" to do the
          same.

          RC

          [1] http://www.whitemesa.net/r4/interop4.html

          > I've updated the WSDLs and the test specifications at
          > http://soapinterop.java.sun.com/soapbuilders/r4/index.html.
          >
          > I've restructured some of the tests and removed a not-so-realistic use
          > case from complex-rpc-encoded/doc-literal. Let me know if it needs
          > further clarification.
          >
          > Have a nice weekend!
          > -Arun

        • Arun Gupta
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 9, 2002
            I've updated the test description to be in sync with the WSDL for
            complex-rpc-encoded.

            Re: simple-rpc-encoded, SimpleFault1 needs to be thrown when
            "whichFault" is 1 or not 2 and SimpleFault2 when "whichFault" is 2. This
            was also mentioned in the document. Do you want me to clarify it any
            further ?

            Thanks,
            -Arun

            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 9, 2002
              Yes.
              The input message for "echoMultipleFaults3" contains 2 string
              parameters. The Faults that may result, "SimpleFault1" and
              "SimpleFault2" each refer to a fault message containing a single
              string. The question is, what is the connection between input string
              parameters and the fault messages? Which of the input strings,
              param1 or param2, is expected to be echoed in the fault message
              when "whichFault" is 1 (or not 2), and when "whichFault" is 2?

              RC

              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 10, 2002
                I've updated the document to clarify this.

                Couple of issues with WM's endpoint:

                1). Faults with array elements are not getting serialized correctly.
                Here is request/repsonse message for StringFault.

                Request message
                ---------------
                <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
                <env:Envelope xmlns:env="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/"
                xmlns:enc="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
                xmlns:ns0="http://soapinterop.org/types"
                xmlns:ns1="http://soapinterop.org/wsdl"
                env:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/">
                <env:Body>
                <ns1:echoMultipleFaults2>
                <whichFault xsi:type="xsd:int">3</whichFault>
                <param1 xsi:type="xsd:string">Hello SOAPBuilders!</param1>
                <param2 xsi:type="xsd:float">2.14748365E9</param2>
                <param3 href="#ID1"/>
                </ns1:echoMultipleFaults2>
                <ns0:ArrayOfString id="ID1" xsi:type="enc:Array"
                enc:arrayType="xsd:string[14]">
                <item xsi:type="xsd:string">Now</item>
                <item xsi:type="xsd:string">is</item>
                <item xsi:type="xsd:string">the</item>
                <item xsi:type="xsd:string">time</item>
                <item xsi:type="xsd:string">for</item>
                <item xsi:type="xsd:string">all</item>
                <item xsi:type="xsd:string">wise</item>
                <item xsi:type="xsd:string">men</item>
                <item xsi:type="xsd:string">to</item>
                <item xsi:type="xsd:string">raise</item>
                <item xsi:type="xsd:string">for</item>
                <item xsi:type="xsd:string">the</item>
                <item xsi:type="xsd:string">country's</item>
                <item xsi:type="xsd:string">help</item>
                </ns0:ArrayOfString></env:Body></env:Envelope>

                Response message
                ----------------
                <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
                <SOAP-ENV:Envelope
                <SOAP-ENV:Body>
                <SOAP-ENV:Fault>
                <faultcode
                xmlns:ns="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/">
                ns:Server</faultcode>
                <faultstring>
                Fault in response to 'echoMultipleFaults2'.
                </faultstring>
                <detail>
                <d:part6
                SOAP-ENC:arrayType="nsa:string[0]"
                SOAP-ENC:offset="[0]"
                xmlns:d="http://soapinterop.org/wsdl"
                xmlns:nsa="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"/>
                </detail></SOAP-ENV:Fault></SOAP-ENV:Body></SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

                2). Enums are not getting echoed back correctly. Here are the
                request/response messages:

                Request message
                ---------------
                <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
                <env:Envelope
                xmlns:env="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/"
                xmlns:enc="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
                xmlns:ns0="http://soapinterop.org/types"
                xmlns:ns1="http://soapinterop.org/wsdl"
                env:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/">
                <env:Body>
                <ns1:echoMultipleFaults4>
                <whichFault xsi:type="xsd:int">2</whichFault>
                <param1 xsi:type="xsd:int">23532</param1>
                <param2 href="#ID1"/></ns1:echoMultipleFaults4>
                <ns0:Enum id="ID1" xsi:type="ns0:Enum">1</ns0:Enum>
                </env:Body></env:Envelope>

                Response message
                ----------------
                <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
                <SOAP-ENV:Envelope
                <SOAP-ENV:Body>
                <SOAP-ENV:Fault>
                <faultcode xmlns:ns="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/"
                ns:Server</faultcode>
                <faultstring>Fault in response to 'echoMultipleFaults4'.
                </faultstring>
                <detail><d:part9
                xmlns:d="http://soapinterop.org/wsdl">0</d:part9>

                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 10, 2002
                  Arun,

                  Ok, it looks like the service is falling down on the id/href resolution,
                  I'll get this fixed.

                  Thanks!

                  RC

                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 10, 2002

                    The id/href problems are fixed now.

                    Thanks for the report,

                    RC

> [...]
                    > <whichFault xsi:type="xsd:int">2</whichFault>
                    > <param1 xsi:type="xsd:int">23532</param1>
                    > <param2 href="#ID1"/></ns1:echoMultipleFaults4>
                    > <ns0:Enum id="ID1" xsi:type="ns0:Enum">1</ns0:Enum>
                    > </env:Body></env:Envelope>
                    >
                    > Response message
                    > ----------------
                    > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
                    > <SOAP-ENV:Envelope
                    > xmlns:SOAP-ENV="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/">
                    > <SOAP-ENV:Body>
                    > <SOAP-ENV:Fault>
                    > <faultcode xmlns:ns="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/"
                    > ns:Server</faultcode>
                    > <faultstring>Fault in response to 'echoMultipleFaults4'.
                    > </faultstring>
                    > <detail><d:part9
                    > xmlns:d="http://soapinterop.org/wsdl">0</d:part9>
                    > </detail></SOAP-ENV:Fault></SOAP-ENV:Body></SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

                  • Arun Gupta
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 11, 2002
                      I ran Sun client on WM simple-rpc-encoded endpoint. All tests pass.

                      Thanks,
                      -Arun