RE: [soapbuilders] Q: VB6/Web-service/SOAP?

  • Matt Long
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 5, 2002
      You get the executables and source for a VB6 processor + client + docs,
      here:

      http://www.topxml.com/code/?p=3&id=v20020620100238&ms=50&l=&sw=All

      If this may help.

      -Matt Long
      Phalanx Systems, LLC

    • pprussak@econium.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 5, 2002
        You don't really need the Soap toolkit. The minimum you'd need would be
        and HTTP component, and something that could create/parse XML.

        The simplest thng to use is MSXML, and with a "known" soap
        implementation you can hand craft your SOAP messages, and then, parse
        them back.

        Your basic SOAP package looks like:
        <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
        <Envelope xmlns='http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/'>
        <Body>soap message goes here</Body>
        </Envelope>

        Your message is whatever your SOAP.WSDL would tell you it is. For
        example, a UDDI message which would go in the "soap message goes here"
        above...:
        <find_service generic='2.0' xmlns='urn:uddi-org:api_v2'>
        <tModelBag>
        <tModelKey>uuid:e731da8b-bd96-4511-9b42-becac0fd2ad4</tModelKey>
        </tModelBag>
        </find_service>

        You'll need to tweak the headers in your request...
        ----
        Set objHTTP = CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")
        objHTTP.Open "POST", address, False
        If Err.Number <> 0 Then
        ' handle connection error
        Else
        objHTTP.setRequestHeader "Accept", "text/xml"
        objHTTP.setRequestHeader "Cache-Control", "no-cache"
        objHTTP.setRequestHeader "Content-Type", "text/xml; charset=""utf-8"""
        objHTTP.setRequestHeader "SOAPAction", """"""
        objHTTP.send msg
        ----

        And then, if there are no SOAP/HTTP specific errors, the web service
        would return:
        Set objDOC = New MSXML2.DOMDocument30
        objDOC.loadXML (objHTTP.responseText)

        Where the response text, after stripping out all of the nice soap stuff
        would be something like (just look at the objDoc and use Xpath to select
        appropriate "xml element" you're expecting, in this case "//serviceList"
        node):
        <serviceList generic="2.0" operator="Blah" truncated="false"
        xmlns="urn:uddi-org:api_v2">
        <serviceInfos>
        <serviceInfo serviceKey="fb9ed6be-0a4c-42ec-bd0c-eb60227565cb"
        businessKey="9431dade-f700-439e-8c02-953f850c6ae2">
        <name xml:lang="en">Test</name>
        </serviceInfo>
        </serviceInfos>
        </serviceList>

        SOAP toolkit is better though, because it allows you to get rid of this
        extra processing. It is also fairly easy to install with your VB
        installation (documentation is on the MSDN site, but don't use the .msi
        package).

        Piotr

        I just realized that i can't rely on SOAP toolkit in my VB6- application
        as it makes an impact on other users (they too need the
        toolkit on their machines or so i guess anyway).

        Is it possible to develop an application in VB6 (not .net) that
        construct it's own soap request and responses and just 'fires away'
        against a webservice (with standard components and without no
        involvment whatsoever from the SOAP toolkit)?

        I found an interesting article on this matter
        (http://www.devarticles.com/content.php?articleId=186&page=3)

        Couln't i just replace the .asp-file with the actual webservice and
        make it run ok?

        Thanx & Best regards,

        Paddy

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to