Q: VB6/Web-service/SOAP?

  • ihadtohaveanid
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 5 6:33 AM
      I'm kind of stuck again it seems!

      I just realized that i can't rely on SOAP toolkit in my VB6-
      application as it makes an impact on other users (they too need the
      toolkit on their machines or so i guess anyway).

      Is it possible to develop an application in VB6 (not .net) that
      construct it's own soap request and responses and just 'fires away'
      against a webservice (with standard components and without no
      involvment whatsoever from the SOAP toolkit)?

      I found an interesting article on this matter
      (http://www.devarticles.com/content.php?articleId=186&page=3)

      Couln't i just replace the .asp-file with the actual webservice and
      make it run ok?

      Thanx & Best regards,

      Paddy
    • Matt Long
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 5 6:34 AM
        You get the executables and source for a VB6 processor + client + docs,
        here:

        http://www.topxml.com/code/?p=3&id=v20020620100238&ms=50&l=&sw=All

        If this may help.

        -Matt Long
        Phalanx Systems, LLC

      • jim@ironringsoftware.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 5 6:46 AM
          > I just realized that i can't rely on SOAP toolkit in my VB6-
          > application as it makes an impact on other users (they too need the
          > toolkit on their machines or so i guess anyway).

          This is problem? Why can't you install the STK components with your
          app? I'll bet you are using several libraries in your app why is the
          STK any different?

          > Is it possible to develop an application in VB6 (not .net) that
          > construct it's own soap request and responses and just 'fires away'
          > against a webservice (with standard components and without no
          > involvment whatsoever from the SOAP toolkit)?

          SOAP is just XML - so technically you can just send and receive xml over
          HTTP. You are then on the hook to connect, send, receive and then map
          the data contained in the xml payload to your application. Depending on
          the nature of your messages this may be easy or an endless source of
          bugs. How are you going to connect to the web service and talk HTTP?
          Do you need to encode messages using SOAP section 5 encoding rules?
          These are all issues that the toolkit does for you.

          You may end up asking yourself, since I'm not letting a toolkit do the
          heavy lifting why use SOAP at all?

          > Couln't i just replace the .asp-file with the actual webservice and
          > make it run ok?

          What do you mean by "the actual webservice"?

          BTW, I'd recommend bringing these questions up on the SOAP list at
          http://discuss.develop.com Its more akin to these sorts of issues and
          there are plenty of folks to help get you going.

          Jim
        • pprussak@econium.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 5 6:54 AM
            You don't really need the Soap toolkit. The minimum you'd need would be
            and HTTP component, and something that could create/parse XML.

            The simplest thng to use is MSXML, and with a "known" soap
            implementation you can hand craft your SOAP messages, and then, parse
            them back.

            Your basic SOAP package looks like:
            <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
            <Envelope xmlns='http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/'>
            <Body>soap message goes here</Body>
            </Envelope>

            Your message is whatever your SOAP.WSDL would tell you it is. For
            example, a UDDI message which would go in the "soap message goes here"
            above...:
            <find_service generic='2.0' xmlns='urn:uddi-org:api_v2'>
            <tModelBag>
            <tModelKey>uuid:e731da8b-bd96-4511-9b42-becac0fd2ad4</tModelKey>
            </tModelBag>
            </find_service>

            You'll need to tweak the headers in your request...
            ----
            Set objHTTP = CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")
            objHTTP.Open "POST", address, False
            If Err.Number <> 0 Then
            ' handle connection error
            Else
            objHTTP.setRequestHeader "Accept", "text/xml"
            objHTTP.setRequestHeader "Cache-Control", "no-cache"
            objHTTP.setRequestHeader "Content-Type", "text/xml; charset=""utf-8"""
            objHTTP.setRequestHeader "SOAPAction", """"""
            objHTTP.send msg
            ----

            And then, if there are no SOAP/HTTP specific errors, the web service
            would return:
            Set objDOC = New MSXML2.DOMDocument30
            objDOC.loadXML (objHTTP.responseText)

            Where the response text, after stripping out all of the nice soap stuff
            would be something like (just look at the objDoc and use Xpath to select
            appropriate "xml element" you're expecting, in this case "//serviceList"
            node):
            <serviceList generic="2.0" operator="Blah" truncated="false"
            xmlns="urn:uddi-org:api_v2">
            <serviceInfos>
            <serviceInfo serviceKey="fb9ed6be-0a4c-42ec-bd0c-eb60227565cb"
            businessKey="9431dade-f700-439e-8c02-953f850c6ae2">
            <name xml:lang="en">Test</name>
            </serviceInfo>
            </serviceInfos>
            </serviceList>

            SOAP toolkit is better though, because it allows you to get rid of this
            extra processing. It is also fairly easy to install with your VB
            installation (documentation is on the MSDN site, but don't use the .msi
            package).

            Piotr

            I just realized that i can't rely on SOAP toolkit in my VB6- application
            as it makes an impact on other users (they too need the
            toolkit on their machines or so i guess anyway).

            Is it possible to develop an application in VB6 (not .net) that
            construct it's own soap request and responses and just 'fires away'
            against a webservice (with standard components and without no
            involvment whatsoever from the SOAP toolkit)?

            I found an interesting article on this matter
            (http://www.devarticles.com/content.php?articleId=186&page=3)

            Couln't i just replace the .asp-file with the actual webservice and
            make it run ok?

            Thanx & Best regards,

            Paddy

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to