Re: Q: VB6/Web-service/SOAP?

  • ihadtohaveanid
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 4, 2002
      Thanks Jim! I never thought i would get such a great response to my
      question, i'm gonna try again!

      Thanx again!

      Br, Paddy
    • ihadtohaveanid
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 5, 2002
        I'm kind of stuck again it seems!

        I just realized that i can't rely on SOAP toolkit in my VB6-
        application as it makes an impact on other users (they too need the
        toolkit on their machines or so i guess anyway).

        Is it possible to develop an application in VB6 (not .net) that
        construct it's own soap request and responses and just 'fires away'
        against a webservice (with standard components and without no
        involvment whatsoever from the SOAP toolkit)?

        I found an interesting article on this matter
        (http://www.devarticles.com/content.php?articleId=186&page=3)

        Couln't i just replace the .asp-file with the actual webservice and
        make it run ok?

        Thanx & Best regards,

        Paddy
      • ihadtohaveanid

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 5, 2002
            You get the executables and source for a VB6 processor + client + docs,
            here:

            http://www.topxml.com/code/?p=3&id=v20020620100238&ms=50&l=&sw=All

            If this may help.

            -Matt Long
            Phalanx Systems, LLC

          • jim@ironringsoftware.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 5, 2002
              > I just realized that i can't rely on SOAP toolkit in my VB6-
              > application as it makes an impact on other users (they too need the
              > toolkit on their machines or so i guess anyway).

              This is problem? Why can't you install the STK components with your
              app? I'll bet you are using several libraries in your app why is the
              STK any different?

              > Is it possible to develop an application in VB6 (not .net) that
              > construct it's own soap request and responses and just 'fires away'
              > against a webservice (with standard components and without no
              > involvment whatsoever from the SOAP toolkit)?

              SOAP is just XML - so technically you can just send and receive xml over
              HTTP. You are then on the hook to connect, send, receive and then map
              the data contained in the xml payload to your application. Depending on
              the nature of your messages this may be easy or an endless source of
              bugs. How are you going to connect to the web service and talk HTTP?
              Do you need to encode messages using SOAP section 5 encoding rules?
              These are all issues that the toolkit does for you.

              You may end up asking yourself, since I'm not letting a toolkit do the
              heavy lifting why use SOAP at all?

              > Couln't i just replace the .asp-file with the actual webservice and
              > make it run ok?

              What do you mean by "the actual webservice"?

              BTW, I'd recommend bringing these questions up on the SOAP list at
              http://discuss.develop.com Its more akin to these sorts of issues and
              there are plenty of folks to help get you going.

              Jim
            • pprussak@econium.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 5, 2002
                You don't really need the Soap toolkit. The minimum you'd need would be
                and HTTP component, and something that could create/parse XML.

                The simplest thng to use is MSXML, and with a "known" soap
                implementation you can hand craft your SOAP messages, and then, parse
                them back.

                Your basic SOAP package looks like:
                <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
                <Envelope xmlns='http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/'>
                <Body>soap message goes here</Body>
                </Envelope>

                Your message is whatever your SOAP.WSDL would tell you it is. For
                example, a UDDI message which would go in the "soap message goes here"
                above...:
                <find_service generic='2.0' xmlns='urn:uddi-org:api_v2'>
                <tModelBag>
                <tModelKey>uuid:e731da8b-bd96-4511-9b42-becac0fd2ad4</tModelKey>
                </tModelBag>
                </find_service>

                You'll need to tweak the headers in your request...
                ----
                Set objHTTP = CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")
                objHTTP.Open "POST", address, False
                If Err.Number <> 0 Then
                ' handle connection error
                Else
                objHTTP.setRequestHeader "Accept", "text/xml"
                objHTTP.setRequestHeader "Cache-Control", "no-cache"
                objHTTP.setRequestHeader "Content-Type", "text/xml; charset=""utf-8"""
                objHTTP.setRequestHeader "SOAPAction", """"""
                objHTTP.send msg
                ----

                And then, if there are no SOAP/HTTP specific errors, the web service
                would return:
                Set objDOC = New MSXML2.DOMDocument30
                objDOC.loadXML (objHTTP.responseText)

                Where the response text, after stripping out all of the nice soap stuff
                would be something like (just look at the objDoc and use Xpath to select
                appropriate "xml element" you're expecting, in this case "//serviceList"
                node):
                <serviceList generic="2.0" operator="Blah" truncated="false"
                xmlns="urn:uddi-org:api_v2">
                <serviceInfos>
                <serviceInfo serviceKey="fb9ed6be-0a4c-42ec-bd0c-eb60227565cb"
                businessKey="9431dade-f700-439e-8c02-953f850c6ae2">
                <name xml:lang="en">Test</name>
                </serviceInfo>
                </serviceInfos>
                </serviceList>

                SOAP toolkit is better though, because it allows you to get rid of this
                extra processing. It is also fairly easy to install with your VB
                installation (documentation is on the MSDN site, but don't use the .msi
                package).

                Piotr

                I just realized that i can't rely on SOAP toolkit in my VB6- application
                as it makes an impact on other users (they too need the
                toolkit on their machines or so i guess anyway).

                Is it possible to develop an application in VB6 (not .net) that
                construct it's own soap request and responses and just 'fires away'
                against a webservice (with standard components and without no
                involvment whatsoever from the SOAP toolkit)?

                I found an interesting article on this matter
                (http://www.devarticles.com/content.php?articleId=186&page=3)

                Couln't i just replace the .asp-file with the actual webservice and
                make it run ok?

                Thanx & Best regards,

                Paddy

                Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to