Array of MIME attachments in WSDL?

  • butek@us.ibm.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 6, 2002
      Could folks tell me how they define an array of MIME attachments in WSDL 1.1? You can't really use a part's type, because the binding essentially ignores that type in favor of the mime:content type. But the mime:content type doesn't provide for arrays.

      Here's an example of a single "image/jpeg" (abbreviated and paraphrased from the WSDL spec):

      <complexType name="ArrayOfBinary"> ... </complexType>

      <message name="empty"/>
      <message name="m1">
      <part name="body" type="tns:ArrayOfBinary"/>
      </message>

      <portType name="pt1">
      <operation name="setImage">
      <input message="m1"/>
      <output message="empty"/>
      </operation>
      </portType>

      <binding name="b1" type="tns:pt1">
      <operation name="setImage">
      <input>
      <mime:multipartRelated>
      <mime:part>
      <mime:content part="body" type="image/jpeg"/>
      </mime:part>
      </mime:multipartRelated>
      </input>
      <output/>
      </operation>
      </binding>

      The binding says "image/jpeg". Since I'm in the Java world and I'm folllowing JAX-RPC, I know that that means "java.awt.Image", so message m1's type could have been anything at all since it's ignored. While quite odd, this works just dandy. We end up with the Java signature:

      public void setImage(java.awt.Image body);

      My question, then, is how do folks represent THIS signature in WSDL?

      public void setImages(java.awt.Image[] bodies);

      Russell Butek
      butek@...
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 6, 2002
        You can't, I flagged this a few weeks ago on the wsdl list.

        It also appears that the DIME binding for WSDL might be using
        restrictions wrongly [i need to investigate this further].

        All in all, WSDL & Attachments is not a good place to be !

        www.pocketsoap.com

        On Tue, 6 Aug 2002 10:48:48 -0500, in ws you wrote:

        >Could folks tell me how they define an array of MIME attachments in WSDL
        >1.1? You can't really use a part's type, because the binding essentially
        >ignores that type in favor of the mime:content type. But the mime:content
        >type doesn't provide for arrays.
        >
        >Here's an example of a single "image/jpeg" (abbreviated and paraphrased
        >from the WSDL spec):
        >
        ><complexType name="ArrayOfBinary"> ... </complexType>
        >
        ><message name="empty"/>
        ><message name="m1">
        > <part name="body" type="tns:ArrayOfBinary"/>
        ></message>
        >
        ><portType name="pt1">
        > <operation name="setImage">
        > <input message="m1"/>
        > <output message="empty"/>
        > </operation>
        ></portType>
        >
        ><binding name="b1" type="tns:pt1">
        > <operation name="setImage">
        > <input>
        > <mime:multipartRelated>
        > <mime:part>
        > <mime:content part="body" type="image/jpeg"/>
        > </mime:part>
        > </mime:multipartRelated>
        > </input>
        > <output/>
        > </operation>
        ></binding>
        >
        >The binding says "image/jpeg". Since I'm in the Java world and I'm
        >folllowing JAX-RPC, I know that that means "java.awt.Image", so message
        >m1's type could have been anything at all since it's ignored. While quite
        >odd, this works just dandy. We end up with the Java signature:
        >
        >public void setImage(java.awt.Image body);
        >
        >My question, then, is how do folks represent THIS signature in WSDL?
        >
        >public void setImages(java.awt.Image[] bodies);
        >

        >Russell Butek
        >butek@...
      • Dick Brooks
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 6, 2002
          I raised the issue of attachment support in WSDL at a meeting in February
          2001, reference the section titled "Attachments: SOAP and ebXML" in
          http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/1/03/f2f-pminutes

          It appears attachment support in WSDL is still lacking.

          Dick Brooks
          Systrends, Inc
          7855 South River Parkway, Suite 111
          Tempe, Arizona 85284
          Web: www.systrends.com <http://www.systrends.com>
          You can't, I flagged this a few weeks ago on the wsdl list.

          It also appears that the DIME binding for WSDL might be using
          restrictions wrongly [i need to investigate this further].

          All in all, WSDL & Attachments is not a good place to be !

          www.pocketsoap.com

          On Tue, 6 Aug 2002 10:48:48 -0500, in ws you wrote:

          >Could folks tell me how they define an array of MIME attachments in WSDL
          >1.1? You can't really use a part's type, because the binding essentially
          >ignores that type in favor of the mime:content type. But the mime:content
          >type doesn't provide for arrays.
          >
          >Here's an example of a single "image/jpeg" (abbreviated and paraphrased
          >from the WSDL spec):
          >
          ><complexType name="ArrayOfBinary"> ... </complexType>
          >
          ><message name="empty"/>
          ><message name="m1">
          > <part name="body" type="tns:ArrayOfBinary"/>
          ></message>
          >
          ><portType name="pt1">
          > <operation name="setImage">
          > <input message="m1"/>
          > <output message="empty"/>
          > </operation>
          ></portType>
          >
          ><binding name="b1" type="tns:pt1">
          > <operation name="setImage">
          > <input>
          > <mime:multipartRelated>
          > <mime:part>
          > <mime:content part="body" type="image/jpeg"/>
          > </mime:part>
          > </mime:multipartRelated>
          > </input>
          > <output/>
          > </operation>
          ></binding>
          >
          >The binding says "image/jpeg". Since I'm in the Java world and I'm
          >folllowing JAX-RPC, I know that that means "java.awt.Image", so message
          >m1's type could have been anything at all since it's ignored. While quite
          >odd, this works just dandy. We end up with the Java signature:
          >
          >public void setImage(java.awt.Image body);
          >
          >My question, then, is how do folks represent THIS signature in WSDL?
          >
          >public void setImages(java.awt.Image[] bodies);
          >

          >Russell Butek
          >butek@...

        • kckannangnatt
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 26, 2002
            Not sure if I really answer your question but I happened to find this
            the WSDL definition of Microsoft's Mappoint web service. They are
            able to send map images using MIME types.

            <s:complexType name="MIMEData">
            <s:sequence>
            <s:element maxOccurs="1" minOccurs="0"
            name="MIMEType" type="s:string"/>