Re: [soapbuilders] Proposal for SOAP GET test

  • Paul Prescod
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 20, 2002
      Rich Salz wrote:

      > > That tests both that the endpoint can handle GET and that it can handle
      > > GET and POST on the same URI.
      >
      > Is that important? I don't care, but I'm curious.

      Yes, I feel it is important. Thanks to the flexibility of URIs and
      hypertext it may not be strictly necessary because a GET-catching
      resource could have a link to a POST-catching resource. But then you may
      need to unnaturally split a single logical thing into two. It's kind of
      weird to have the sub-resource change the state of the parent resource
      and I'd have to think more about whether that would have an impact on
      caches and RDF.

      As an analogy, what if SOAP were architected so that every method of
      every service needed its own URI. It would become difficult to reason
      about them as first-class objects and it would be inefficient to
      dereference the top-level resource to get at the method resources.
      --
      Come discuss XML and REST web services at:
      Open Source Conference: July 22-26, 2002, conferences.oreillynet.com