Re: [soapbuilders] Proposal for SOAP GET test

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 20, 2002
      Okay, so it really is the same resource, so it should be the same URL.
      I'll buy that. Thanks.
      /r$
    • Paul Prescod
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 20, 2002
        Rich Salz wrote:

        > > That tests both that the endpoint can handle GET and that it can handle
        > > GET and POST on the same URI.
        >
        > Is that important? I don't care, but I'm curious.

        Yes, I feel it is important. Thanks to the flexibility of URIs and
        hypertext it may not be strictly necessary because a GET-catching
        resource could have a link to a POST-catching resource. But then you may
        need to unnaturally split a single logical thing into two. It's kind of
        weird to have the sub-resource change the state of the parent resource
        and I'd have to think more about whether that would have an impact on
        caches and RDF.

        As an analogy, what if SOAP were architected so that every method of
        every service needed its own URI. It would become difficult to reason
        about them as first-class objects and it would be inefficient to
        dereference the top-level resource to get at the method resources.
        --
        Come discuss XML and REST web services at:
        Open Source Conference: July 22-26, 2002, conferences.oreillynet.com