Re: [soapbuilders] Proposal for SOAP GET test

  • Sam Ruby
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 20, 2002
      Rich Salz wrote:

      >>That tests both that the endpoint can handle GET and that it can handle
      >>GET and POST on the same URI.
      >>

      >Is that important? I don't care, but I'm curious.
      > /r$

      I'll give you two answers.

      In REST terms, a URI is a Uniform Resource Identifier. In other words,
      it identifies a resource. The Python analog would be an object.
      Carrying this analogy further, a GET would be like a __str__(self):
      method, and a PUT would be like any method that may update the state of
      the object, say, __add__(self, other). If would be a rather strange
      implementation of Python that did not permit __str__ and __add__ methods
      on the same class, eh?

      In SOAPBuilders terms, I'd like to ensure that if someone were to design
      an application using Apache Axis and Java and then get disatisfied and
      want to reimplement it using ZSI and Python, that they would be free to
      do so. So, while URI's may be opaque and completely up to the server to
      generate, it is still possible to compare opaque URIs for equality, so
      this can be significant.

      - Sam Ruby
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 20, 2002
        Okay, so it really is the same resource, so it should be the same URL.
        I'll buy that. Thanks.
        /r$
      • Paul Prescod
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 20, 2002
          Rich Salz wrote:

          > > That tests both that the endpoint can handle GET and that it can handle
          > > GET and POST on the same URI.
          >
          > Is that important? I don't care, but I'm curious.

          Yes, I feel it is important. Thanks to the flexibility of URIs and
          hypertext it may not be strictly necessary because a GET-catching
          resource could have a link to a POST-catching resource. But then you may
          need to unnaturally split a single logical thing into two. It's kind of
          weird to have the sub-resource change the state of the parent resource
          and I'd have to think more about whether that would have an impact on
          caches and RDF.

          As an analogy, what if SOAP were architected so that every method of
          every service needed its own URI. It would become difficult to reason
          about them as first-class objects and it would be inefficient to
          dereference the top-level resource to get at the method resources.
          --
          Come discuss XML and REST web services at:
          Open Source Conference: July 22-26, 2002, conferences.oreillynet.com