Announce: MailToTheFuture via SOAP 1.1

  • Dave Winer
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31, 2001
      In 1998 we launched a Web app called "MailToTheFuture".

      It's a simple way to send mail to yourself or others, in the future..

      Today I got a SOAP interface tested and working.

      You can write scripts that run against this server, theoretically, using SOAP 1.1.

      Please help us test this.

      Dave

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2001
        Dave,

        I've called getMessage fine, but i get an error trying to call
        addMessage. the error is

        Can't call the script "addMessage" because it doesn't define a
        parameter named "msgstruct"

        Here's a dump of my request
        POST http://www.mailtothefuture.com/ HTTP/1.0
        SOAPAction: "/mailToTheFuture"

        <S:Envelope xmlns:S='http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/'
        xmlns:SOAP-ENC='http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/'
        S:encodingStyle='http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/'
        xmlns:xsd='http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema'
        xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema-instance'>
        <S:Body>
        <m:addMessage xmlns:m=''>
        <username xsi:type='xsd:string'>sf@...</username>
        <password xsi:type='xsd:string'>xxxxxxxxxxxx</password>
        <msgstruct xsi:type='struct'>
        <dateTime
        xsi:type='xsd:timeInstant'>2001-04-01T15:25:00-08:00</dateTime>
        <messageBody xsi:type='xsd:string'>hello from pocketSOAP & mail to
        the future</messageBody>
        <receiverMailAddress
        xsi:type='xsd:string'>sf@...</receiverMailAddress>
        <subject xsi:type='xsd:string'>MTTF Test via SOAP</subject>
        </msgstruct></m:addMessage>
        </S:Body></S:Envelope>

        On Sat, 31 Mar 2001 21:39:10 -0800, in soap you wrote:

        >In 1998 we launched a Web app called "MailToTheFuture".
        >
        >It's a simple way to send mail to yourself or others, in the future..
        >
        >Today I got a SOAP interface tested and working.
        >
        >You can write scripts that run against this server, theoretically, using SOAP 1.1.
        >
        >Please help us test this.
        >
        >http://www.soapware.org/mailToTheFuture
        >
        >Dave

      • Dave Winer
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1, 2001
          Simon, please try again. The docs and the code didn't match up. I made the
          code match the docs. I'm going to do a review of the other handlers to make
          sure they are correct. This is fallout from the change we made to conform re
          parameter names. Dave

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 1, 2001
            cool, it pretty much works, I've called all the methods, the only
            problem is getAllMessages which returns XML with elements that start
            with numbers, which i can't parse (its not legal XML). Also on
            getAllMessages, it'd be easier to handle if it was returned as an
            array of messages.

          • Dave Winer
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 1, 2001
              I fixed getAllMessages so now the struct elements have proper XML names.

              I don't like this tradeoff. Next time we do a spec like SOAP 1.1, let's test
              as we go. This change increased:

              1. Space.

              2. Time.

              3. Code complexity.

              There was no advantage in doing it this way, other than it complies with the
              SOAP 1.1 way of doing things. Intrusive and expensive.

              We'll be hitting this kind of breakage for quite a while. Oy. End of rant.