Re: [soapbuilders] Re: SOAP 1.2 GET binding

    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 2, 2002
      I know, it was a rhetorical question. :)

      > "No standard means of representation of arguments or method names is
      > provided by this specification.".

      Given our complete failure to get an interoperable standard for map et
      al, I really think it is inappropriate for us to do HTTP GET. Our forte
      seems to be testing standards, not creating them.

      >We can leave that part to the hoi polloi.

      I know I was being mean when I used the word. It means "the masses,"
      not "the elite" you know. :)
      /r$
    • simonfell99
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 2, 2002
        --- In soapbuilders@y..., Rich Salz <r.salz@v...> wrote:
        > I know, it was a rhetorical question. :)
        >
        > > "No standard means of representation of arguments or method names
        > is provided by this specification.".
        >
        > Given our complete failure to get an interoperable standard for map
        > et al, I really think it is inappropriate for us to do HTTP GET.
        > Our forte seems to be testing standards, not creating them.

        That reminds me, was the schema for Map from the F2F published ?

      • cdthoughtpost
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 2, 2002
          Where does the WSDL HTTP GET binding come into play here? Should
          that be used as the basis for support of this feature? If so, then
          WSDL seems to assume either a replacement scheme or encoding as the
          query string, defined in the GET binding.

          What's the current state of the union on HTTP GET support? I've
          been away for a while, but some quick searches didn't turn up a
          whole lot, and I'm guessing from this discussion that its not very
          popular.

          For what its worth, part 2 of the spec (4.1.2 & 6.4.3) reads pretty
          clearly, no headers for GET; if you need headers, (and like Bob
          said, won't most real services someday?) you're doing a POST.

          Chris Dix

          --- In soapbuilders@y..., "Bob Cunnings" <cunnings@l...> wrote:
          > Worse yet, from what I gather the use of SOAP headers is
          > precluded by this scheme. I can scarce imagine a deployed service
          > that wouldn't use header blocks to implement extensions like
          > security.
          >
          > RC
          >
          > > Am I missing something or is the SOAP 1.2 GET binding only
          capable of
          > > primitive types? What does the URI look like for echoStruct?
          > > /r$

        • Kirill Gavrylyuk
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 2, 2002
            +1
            I would rather suggest we do SOAP 1.2 headers as they are substantially
            different from the SOAP 1.1.

            I know, it was a rhetorical question. :)

            > "No standard means of representation of arguments or method names is
            > provided by this specification.".

            Given our complete failure to get an interoperable standard for map et
            al, I really think it is inappropriate for us to do HTTP GET. Our forte

            seems to be testing standards, not creating them.

            >We can leave that part to the hoi polloi.

            I know I was being mean when I used the word. It means "the masses,"
            not "the elite" you know. :)

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 2, 2002
              Kirill Gavrylyuk wrote:
              > I would rather suggest we do SOAP 1.2 headers as they are substantially
              > different from the SOAP 1.1.

              I agree.
            • rubys@us.ibm.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 2, 2002
                Rich Salz wrote:

                >> "No standard means of representation of arguments or method names is
                >> provided by this specification.".
                >

                > Given our complete failure to get an interoperable standard for map et
                > al, I really think it is inappropriate for us to do HTTP GET.  Our forte
                > seems to be testing standards, not creating them.

                What I was suggesting is that we test SOAP 1.2, part 2, section 6.3.

                - Sam Ruby
              • rjray@blackperl.com
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 2, 2002

                  Bob> Worse yet, from what I gather the use of SOAP headers is precluded by
                  Bob> this scheme. I can scarce imagine a deployed service that wouldn't use
                  Bob> header blocks to implement extensions like security.

                  The HTTP bindings in general seem to have overlooked the possible use of HTTP
                  headers, Cookie: headers in particular. I recently developed a sample WSDL
                  file for a SOAP service that uses cookies for authentication (the SOAP service
                  is based on users already being registered for other features of the site).
                  Other than the fact that a HTTP header would have the same limitation with
                  regards to complex data that the GET binding suffers from, it seems to me like
                  there could easily be a http:header (or even http:cookie) element for
                  specifying this kind of input.

                  Randy
                  Randy J. Ray rjray@...
                  Campbell, CA rjray@...
                  <A HREF="http://www.svsm.org">Silicon Valley Scale Modelers</A>
                • keith_ballinger
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 2, 2002
                    I would like to see three tests at the F2F:

                    * some quick SOAP 1.2 echo tests, just to be sure nothing is broken
                    * SOAP 1.2 header testing
                    * attachments (I'll only be able to do DIME, but I don't a problem
                    doing DIME and MIME testing)

                    Thanks,
                    Keith

                    --- In soapbuilders@y..., Rich Salz <r.salz@v...> wrote:
                    > Kirill Gavrylyuk wrote:
                    > > I would rather suggest we do SOAP 1.2 headers as they are
                    substantially
                    > > different from the SOAP 1.1.
                    >
                    > I agree.
                  • Sanjiva Weerawarana
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 3, 2002
                      This is a weakness in the WSDL 1.1 HTTP bindings that I'd like
                      to get fixed. If you have a concrete proposal on how to fix
                      it please post it to the www-ws-desc@... mailing list.

                      Thanks,

                      Sanjiva.

                      > Bob> Worse yet, from what I gather the use of SOAP headers is precluded
                      by
                      > Bob> this scheme. I can scarce imagine a deployed service that wouldn't
                      use
                      > Bob> header blocks to implement extensions like security.
                      >
                      > The HTTP bindings in general seem to have overlooked the possible use of
                      HTTP
                      > headers, Cookie: headers in particular. I recently developed a sample WSDL
                      > file for a SOAP service that uses cookies for authentication (the SOAP
                      service
                      > is based on users already being registered for other features of the
                      site).
                      > Other than the fact that a HTTP header would have the same limitation with
                      > regards to complex data that the GET binding suffers from, it seems to me
                      like
                      > there could easily be a http:header (or even http:cookie) element for
                      > specifying this kind of input.
                      >
                      > Randy
                      > --

                      """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
                      """
                      rjray@...

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 3, 2002
                        "cdthoughtpost" <chris@...> writes:
                        > Where does the WSDL HTTP GET binding come into play here? Should
                        > that be used as the basis for support of this feature? If so, then
                        > WSDL seems to assume either a replacement scheme or encoding as the
                        > query string, defined in the GET binding.

                        The WSDL 1.1 HTTP GET binding is a different beast from the new
                        SOAP MEP. WSDL 1.2 will need to have an additional binding for
                        request-response operations to support the new MEP: HTTP GET for
                        the request and SOAP envelope in the response of that GET. That
                        binding would have to define a way to generate the URL from the
                        message parts - probably in a manner similar to the current GET
                        binding does.

                        The funny thing to me is this: (if and) when WSDL has a binding
                        for the new MEP and (if and) when toolkits support that binding,
                        the use of the new MEP will be indistinguishable from the use
                        of the "old" MEP of the request too being in SOAP via HTTP POST.
                        That is, a stub generated from these WSDLs would behave exactly the
                        same way! Thus, the use of GET would become an implementation detail
                        that users would not care about, just like they don't care about
                        POST being used right now (or in fact that HTTP is being used).
                        This seems to defeat the main objective of this new MEP: to allow
                        application developers (i.e., people who call the stub) to recognize
                        that an operation is a "safe" operation and hence can be "linked"
                        to by that application. The app developer (in most cases) probably
                        didn't even read the WSDL and hence probably never knew that GET
                        was used instead of POST!

                        Sanjiva.
                      • Jacek Kopecky
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 4, 2002
                          Hi all, 8-)
                          I think I agree with Sanjiva that the use of SOAP together with
                          WSDL seems to diminish the usefulness of the SOAP Response MEP
                          over HTTP GET.
                          Since I believe the SOAP HTTP binding is not going away (even
                          though many think it's suboptimal at best) the WSDL group will
                          have to think hard on how to make SOAP Response MEP over HTTP GET
                          describable in WSDL and how to describe RESTish applications in
                          WSDL so that they are recognized as such in order to be able to
                          use HTTP effectively.
                          For soapbuilders interop testing, unless we see a great number
                          of implementations with converging views of how the new MEP over
                          GET is to be implemented, we should concentrate on what we
                          already do - headers, faults, attachments.
                          Best regards

                          Jacek Kopecky

                          Senior Architect, Systinet Corporation
                          http://www.systinet.com/

                          P.S: I'm off for a week's vacation starting 7/5.

                          On Thu, 4 Jul 2002, Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:

                          > "cdthoughtpost" <chris@...> writes:
                          > > Where does the WSDL HTTP GET binding come into play here? Should
                          > > that be used as the basis for support of this feature? If so, then
                          > > WSDL seems to assume either a replacement scheme or encoding as the
                          > > query string, defined in the GET binding.
                          >
                          > The WSDL 1.1 HTTP GET binding is a different beast from the new
                          > SOAP MEP. WSDL 1.2 will need to have an additional binding for
                          > request-response operations to support the new MEP: HTTP GET for
                          > the request and SOAP envelope in the response of that GET. That
                          > binding would have to define a way to generate the URL from the
                          > message parts - probably in a manner similar to the current GET
                          > binding does.
                          >
                          > The funny thing to me is this: (if and) when WSDL has a binding
                          > for the new MEP and (if and) when toolkits support that binding,
                          > the use of the new MEP will be indistinguishable from the use
                          > of the "old" MEP of the request too being in SOAP via HTTP POST.
                          > That is, a stub generated from these WSDLs would behave exactly the
                          > same way! Thus, the use of GET would become an implementation detail
                          > that users would not care about, just like they don't care about
                          > POST being used right now (or in fact that HTTP is being used).
                          > This seems to defeat the main objective of this new MEP: to allow
                          > application developers (i.e., people who call the stub) to recognize
                          > that an operation is a "safe" operation and hence can be "linked"
                          > to by that application. The app developer (in most cases) probably
                          > didn't even read the WSDL and hence probably never knew that GET
                          > was used instead of POST!
                          >
                          > Sanjiva.

                        • graham glass
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 4, 2002
                            one associated question is: given the relatively experimental nature of MEP, should it really
                            be in the SOAP 1.2 specification at all? perhaps it would be better to have a separate
                            document that contains descriptions of promising experimental features that if additional
                            thought prove compelling, move into the official specification. my fear is that things like MEP
                            sound cool to begin with, but end up introducing an avalanche of unanticipated complexity.
                            we already went through enough of that pain with the 1.1 specification, and many features
                            such as sparse arrays ended up getting swept under the carpet.

                            cheers,
                            graham

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 9, 2002
                              > I would like to see three tests at the F2F:
                              >
                              > * some quick SOAP 1.2 echo tests, just to be sure nothing is broken
                              > * SOAP 1.2 header testing
                              > * attachments (I'll only be able to do DIME, but I don't a problem
                              > doing DIME and MIME testing)

                              +1
                            • Jacek Kopecky
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 24, 2002
                                Graham,
                                I don't believe the GET MEP is thought of as experimental. It is
                                necessary if we're binding SOAP to HTTP and want to allow
                                web-friendly SOAP web services. Of course, if the reality shows
                                that web-friendly SOAP web services are impractical or if just
                                nobody creates them, then of course the next version of SOAP may
                                bring us a standard binding which won't have the HTTP
                                (application protocol) issues about it and which will be simple
                                and usable for the (then) current way of creating web services.
                                Such binding would probably be a TCP binding. HTTP binding may
                                then become unnecessary and even dropped from SOAP altogether, as
                                SOAP and HTTP are not a really great match.
                                This evolution can be helped greatly if somebody (soapbuilders?
                                any big player?) comes up with a TCP binding (MS has DIME, but
                                it's not really a protocol, it's just encapsulation, a protocol
                                would have to be specified on top of it).