WSDL MIME binding with arrays

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 30, 2002
      I have an rpc/encoded service which accepts an array of SwA
      attachments, e.g.

      <s:Envelope ...>
      <s:Body>
      <m:FutzWithAttachments xmlns:m="..." s:encodingStyle="encoded">
      <attachments soap-enc:arrayType="xsd:base64Binary[2]">
      <item href="cid:1@..."/>
      <item href="cid:2@..."/>
      </attachments>
      </m:FutzWithAttachments>
      </s:Body>
      </s:Envelope>

      How do you describe this with the WSDL MIME binding ?

      Thanks
      Simon
      www.pocketsoap.com
    • Prasad Yendluri
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 3, 2002
        Simon,

        What you list is an SOAP message instance. Do you have the WSDL that shows the message and portType definitions? If you would supply the
        WSDL, I can try and produce the MIME bindings..

        Regards, Prasad

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 4, 2002
          Look at the echoAttachments operation in
          http://www.pocketsoap.com/interop/mime-rpc.wsdl

          On Wed, 03 Jul 2002 18:03:16 -0700, in ws you wrote:

          >Simon,
          >
          >What you list is an SOAP message instance. Do you have the WSDL that shows the message and portType definitions? If you would supply the
          >WSDL, I can try and produce the MIME bindings..
          >
          >Regards, Prasad
          >
          >Simon Fell wrote:
          >
          >> I have an rpc/encoded service which accepts an array of SwA
          >> attachments, e.g.
          >>
          >> <s:Envelope ...>
          >> <s:Body>
          >> <m:FutzWithAttachments xmlns:m="..." s:encodingStyle="encoded">
          >> <attachments soap-enc:arrayType="xsd:base64Binary[2]">
          >> <item href="cid:1@..."/>
          >> <item href="cid:2@..."/>
          >> </attachments>
          >> </m:FutzWithAttachments>
          >> </s:Body>
          >> </s:Envelope>
          >>
          >> How do you describe this with the WSDL MIME binding ?
          >>
          >> Thanks
          >> Simon
          >> www.pocketsoap.com

        • Prasad Yendluri
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 4, 2002
            Simon Fell wrote:

            > Look at the echoAttachments operation in
            > http://www.pocketsoap.com/interop/mime-rpc.wsdl

            This WSDL already has MIME bindings. Not sure what specifically you might be looking for..

            Regards, Prasad

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 4, 2002
              It has my attempt at using mime binding, but i don't think its
              correct. The SOAP message contains a soap encoded array, each item in
              the array uses a href to point to a MIME attachment. This is not
              apparent from the information in the MIME binding part of the WSDL
              document. [As the MIME binding only shows a single attachment, however
              there will actually be 0..n attachments for that part]

              How do i accurately describe the MIME/SwA message below in WSDL using
              the MIME binding ?

              ---mime

              <s:Envelope ...>
              <s:Body>
              <m:FutzWithAttachments xmlns:m="..." s:encodingStyle="encoded">
              <attachments soap-enc:arrayType="xsd:base64Binary[3]">
              <item href="cid:1@..."/>
              <item href="cid:2@..."/>
              <item href="cid:3@..."/>
              </attachments>
              </m:FutzWithAttachments>
              </s:Body>
              </s:Envelope>
              ---mime

              the first attachment
              ---mime

              the second attachment
              ---mime

              the third attachment
              ---mime--

              On Thu, 04 Jul 2002 17:28:23 -0700, in ws you wrote:

              >Simon Fell wrote:
              >
              >> Look at the echoAttachments operation in
              >> http://www.pocketsoap.com/interop/mime-rpc.wsdl
              >
              >This WSDL already has MIME bindings. Not sure what specifically you might be looking for..
              >
              >Regards, Prasad
              >
              >> Cheers
              >> Simon
              >>
              >> On Wed, 03 Jul 2002 18:03:16 -0700, in ws you wrote:
              >>
              >> >Simon,
              >> >
              >> >What you list is an SOAP message instance. Do you have the WSDL that shows the message and portType definitions? If you would supply the
              >> WSDL, I can try and produce the MIME bindings..
              >> >
              >> >Regards, Prasad

            • Prasad Yendluri
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 4, 2002
                Simon,

                There are multiple factors that need to be addressed:

                It seems to me the WSDL and message and the operation definitions that are in http://www.pocketsoap.com/interop/mime-rpc.wsdl  do not adequately capture what you want to accomplish.

                I am reproducing the relevant sections below:

                <wsdl:types>
                      <complexType name="ArrayOfBinary">
                        .<complexContent>
                        .<restriction base="soap-enc:Array">
                         .<attribute ref="soap-enc:arrayType" wsdl:arrayType="soap-enc:base64Binary[]" />
                       . </restriction>
                    .</complexContent>
                   .</complexType>
                </wsdl:types>

                • The messages EchoAttachmentIn and EchoAttachmentOut defined do not include the ArrayOfBinary type defined above
                • They also need to be modified to include the 3 attachments that are sent along.
                Current
                Suggested
                <wsdl:message name="EchoAttachmentIn">
                    <wsdl:part name="In" type="xsd:base64Binary" />
                </wsdl:message>
                <wsdl:message name="EchoAttachmentIn">
                      <wsdl:part name="body" type="ArrayOfBinary" />
                      <wsdl:part name="p1" type="xsd:base64Binary" />
                      <wsdl:part name="p2" type="xsd:base64Binary" />
                      <wsdl:part name="p3" type="xsd:base64Binary" />
                  </wsdl:message>
                <wsdl:message name="EchoAttachmentOut">
                  <wsdl:part name="Out" type="xsd:base64Binary" />
                </wsdl:message>
                <wsdl:message name="EchoAttachmentOut">
                      <wsdl:part name="body" type="ArrayOfBinary" />
                      <wsdl:part name="p1" type="xsd:base64Binary" />
                      <wsdl:part name="p2" type="xsd:base64Binary" />
                      <wsdl:part name="p3" type="xsd:base64Binary" />
                  </wsdl:message>

                I don't like the xsd:base64Binary type for the parts but, keeping the status quo here for simplicity. This can be changed if needed however.

                Keeping the current definition of the operation (as follows):

                  <wsdl:operation name="EchoAttachment">
                     <wsdl:input name="EchoAttachmentInput" message="EchoAttachmentIn" />
                     .<wsdl:output name="EchoAttachmentOutput" message="EchoAttachmentOut" />
                  </wsdl:operation>

                Then the MIME binding can look as follows:

                <wsdl:operation name="EchoAttachments">
                   .<wsdl:input name="EchoAttachmentsInput">
                      .<mime:multipartRelated>
                         .<mime:part>
                            .<soap:body parts="body" use="encoded" namespace="http://soapinterop.org/attachments/" encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/" />
                        .</mime:part>
                        .<mime:part>
                              .<mime:content part="p1" type="*/*" />
                        .</mime:part>
                        .<mime:part>
                              .<mime:content part="p2" type="*/*" />
                        .</mime:part>
                        .<mime:part>
                              .<mime:content part="p3" type="*/*" />
                        .</mime:part>
                  </mime:multipartRelated>
                  </wsdl:input>

                   <wsdl:output name="EchoAttachmentsOutput">
                    <!- similar to input -->
                   </wsdl:output>
                </wsdl:operation>

                This still does not indicate that there will be a content-id header with each "mime:content" part. The MIME binding schema does not seem to provide for including standard MIME headers and perhaps needs to be extended but, I guess one can go ahead and include the header with each part.

                If arbitary number of attachments need to be sent (and received) things can get pretty tricky and MIME binding needs extension there as well.

                I am sure this isn't complete but hope this helps a bit..

                Regards, Prasad

              • opichals
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 10, 2002
                  Hi All!

                  I've met some of you in Burlington this week....
                  I was not involved in the soapbuilders before so I don't know what is
                  the concensus about the array of MIME attachments that might appear
                  here already.

                  Is the mime-rpc.wsdl describing the EchoAttachments operation really
                  valid MIME attachment array echo operation according the MIME WSDL
                  binding? I can't find any information about it in there.

                  If this is the stuff we have spoken about that should be published
                  somewhewre on soapinterop.org then I'd like to propose this to be
                  done. Also the predcise specification how it should be distinguished
                  from a commond attachment comprising of an array of ints or others.

                  If it is not intended to be a description of a MIME attachment array
                  then why it is included in the interoperability test decription?

                  best regards

                  Stan

                  --
                  Stanislav Opichal
                  WASP C++ Senior Engineer

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 11, 2002
                    On Thu, 10 Oct 2002 19:48:19 -0000, in ws you wrote:

                    >Hi All!
                    >
                    >I've met some of you in Burlington this week....
                    >I was not involved in the soapbuilders before so I don't know what is
                    >the concensus about the array of MIME attachments that might appear
                    >here already.
                    >
                    >Is the mime-rpc.wsdl describing the EchoAttachments operation really
                    >valid MIME attachment array echo operation according the MIME WSDL
                    >binding? I can't find any information about it in there.
                    >
                    >If this is the stuff we have spoken about that should be published
                    >somewhewre on soapinterop.org then I'd like to propose this to be
                    >done. Also the predcise specification how it should be distinguished
                    >from a commond attachment comprising of an array of ints or others.
                    >
                    >If it is not intended to be a description of a MIME attachment array
                    >then why it is included in the interoperability test decription?
                    >
                    >best regards
                    >
                    >Stan

                    Its the closest i could get, but it doesn't appear possible to
                    describe arrays of attachments in WSDL. It still appears in the WSDL
                    as we are testing SOAP attachments interop, not WSDL interop.

                  • Stanislav Opichal
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 18, 2002
                      Hi!

                      On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, Simon Fell wrote:

                      > On Thu, 10 Oct 2002 19:48:19 -0000, in ws you wrote:
                      >
                      > >Hi All!
                      > >
                      > >Is the mime-rpc.wsdl describing the EchoAttachments operation really
                      > >valid MIME attachment array echo operation according the MIME WSDL
                      > >binding? I can't find any information about it in there.
                      >
                      > Its the closest i could get, but it doesn't appear possible to
                      > describe arrays of attachments in WSDL. It still appears in the WSDL
                      > as we are testing SOAP attachments interop, not WSDL interop.

                      I understand that we are testing attachments. But does this mean that we
                      should all implement this feature (extension to the specs) into our WSDL
                      compiler or just to hack the client and server code so that it copes with
                      it on SOAP level only.
                      I the case the WSDL compiler should support this... Are there any rules
                      for what should be considered as an array of attachments and what as an
                      attachments with an array contents? Or is it only a soap:Array with an
                      item of type xsd:base64Binary should go for an array of attachments and
                      everything else should be handled according to the MIME WSDL binding spec?

                      best regards

                      Stan

                      --
                      Stanislav Opichal