Re: [soapbuilders] The Interop tests and BDG (was : some questions/observations re: BDG)

  • Sam Ruby
    Message 1 of 48 , Mar 31, 2001
      Dave Winer wrote:

      > 3. I just sent an email to Keith suggesting that we have a phone talk.

      Grrrr...

      Boy that feels good to get off my chest.

      Can I make a suggestion? How about I arrange a teleconference for 10 am
      PDT / 1 pm EDT on Monday, April 2nd? I do believe that we could all
      benefit from a higher bandwidth and synchronous conversation than e-mail
      permits. And I still do believe that a face-to-face would be productive.
      I still have a large room reserved for April 19th and 20th...and will even
      spring for lunch... ;-)

      - Sam Ruby
    • Fredrik Lundh
      Message 48 of 48 , Apr 3, 2001
        jake wrote:

        > Do you have any suggestions about how we should deal with this issue, in
        > terms of real-world interop?

        use David Gay's I/O libraries (http://netlib.bell-labs.com/netlib/fp/).

        if that's not possible, make sure you write out floating point values
        with enough precision (17 digits for doubles, 9 for floats). also doc-
        ument that your implementation may not be fully compliant wrt. FP
        roundtripping.

        > Should an implementation ignore FP errors beyond a certain precision?

        imo, that's up to the application, not the stack - but test code that
        checks floating point values needs to be aware of this.

        > Should it simply fault, unless IEEE 754 compliance is known for certain?

        you mean XSD schema compliance -- the schema spec goes beyond
        IEEE 754 in this case. I'm pretty sure all modern C libraries comply
        with IEEE 754, but very few comply with the schema spec.

        > (I think not, since as you point out, many people won't have any easy
        > way to know if their implementation is compliant or not.)

        agreed.

        Cheers /F