ASP.NET hexBinary test now posted on mssoapinterop.org

  • John Koropchak
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 7, 2002
      Message
      you can now test interop with ASP.NET's hexBinary implementation.

      the test is located at http://mssoapinterop.org/asmx/simple.asmx.  method echoHexBinary has been added.  (this method is DOC/LIT which is different from all the other methods in simple.asmx which are RPC/ENC.)

      johnkoropchak
      Web Services Runtime
      Xml Messaging

    • Eric Rajkovic
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 9, 2002

        John,

        Why did you implement hexBinary using doc/literal for SOAP Builder round II ?

        I don't see how we can expect to have any existing client test being able to exercise this operation?

        As the WSDL is different from the original definition [1], it defeat the purpose of the Round II / Base will required a specific stub.

        Are we also starting to test the mixing style at the operation level?

        Even if this is compliant with the spec, it does not seam a best pratice to achieve SOAP interop.

        As part of the round IV, it was discussed to extend the coverage we have for complex types in the doc / literal scenario. This operation should go under this category.

        Any comment?

        Eric

        [1] http://www.whitemesa.com/interop/InteropTest.wsdl

        you can now
        test interop with ASP.NET's hexBinary implementation.

        size=2>

        the test is
        located at href="http://mssoapinterop.org/asmx/simple.asmx">http://mssoapinterop.org/asmx/simple.asmx
        method echoHexBinary has been added.  (this method is DOC/LIT which is
        different from all the other methods in simple.asmx which
        are RPC/ENC.)

        lang=en-us>johnkoropchak
        lang=en-us> face=Arial>Web Services Runtime
        Xml
        Messaging

      • Kirill Gavrylyuk
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 9, 2002

          Hi, Eric!

          The tests should go just fine using your existing stub – it’s document/literal wrapped with form=”unqualified” on the inner elements. So the message on the wire will be exactly the same.

          If you can’t parse mixed style wsdls, you can use rpc/encoded wsdl on the client side – it should run ok.

          The reason I asked John to introduce this method is: there were questions on the f2f “why doesn’t .Net support hexBinary”. Well, .Net does support it with the document/literal style. So we’d like to test Interop for the .Net hexBinary implementation, since people have the client tests already.

          If this still causes inconvenience in testing on others side – we could move this method in a separate wsdl. But the intent was to get test coverage without asking you to change your client tests.

          Thanks

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 11, 2002

            I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not, certainly for simple
            section 5 messages it'll work, but there's a whole class of valid
            section 5 message which are going to fail.

            Anyway, I tried it, but get an error
            The request element <echoHexBinary xmlns='http://soapinterop.org/'>
            was not recognized.

            Looking at the WSDL, it appears to be looking for the wrong methodname
            namespace.

            Also the ASP.NET endpoint is failing my mustUnderstand headers test
            [i.e. i send an unknown header with mustUnderstand='1', but its
            doesn't fault].

            www.pocketsoap.com

            On Sun, 9 Jun 2002 20:55:06 -0700, in soap you wrote:

            >Hi, Eric!
            >
            >The tests should go just fine using your existing stub - it's
            >document/literal wrapped with form="unqualified" on the inner elements.
            >So the message on the wire will be exactly the same.
            >

            >If you can't parse mixed style wsdls, you can use rpc/encoded wsdl on
            >the client side - it should run ok.
            >

            >The reason I asked John to introduce this method is: there were
            >questions on the f2f "why doesn't .Net support hexBinary". Well, .Net
            >does support it with the document/literal style. So we'd like to test
            >Interop for the .Net hexBinary implementation, since people have the
            >client tests already.
            >

            >If this still causes inconvenience in testing on others side - we could
            >move this method in a separate wsdl. But the intent was to get test
            >coverage without asking you to change your client tests.
            >

            >Thanks
          • John Koropchak
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 12, 2002
              Hi Simon

              Would you send me the trace of the failure where mustUnderstand=1 is not
              returning a fault?

              I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not, certainly for simple section
              5 messages it'll work, but there's a whole class of valid section 5
              message which are going to fail.

              Anyway, I tried it, but get an error
              The request element <echoHexBinary xmlns='http://soapinterop.org/'> was
              not recognized.

              Looking at the WSDL, it appears to be looking for the wrong methodname
              namespace.

              Also the ASP.NET endpoint is failing my mustUnderstand headers test
              [i.e. i send an unknown header with mustUnderstand='1', but its doesn't
              fault].

              www.pocketsoap.com

              On Sun, 9 Jun 2002 20:55:06 -0700, in soap you wrote:

              >Hi, Eric!
              >
              >The tests should go just fine using your existing stub - it's
              >document/literal wrapped with form="unqualified" on the inner elements.

              >So the message on the wire will be exactly the same.
              >

              >If you can't parse mixed style wsdls, you can use rpc/encoded wsdl on
              >the client side - it should run ok.
              >

              >The reason I asked John to introduce this method is: there were
              >questions on the f2f "why doesn't .Net support hexBinary". Well, .Net
              >does support it with the document/literal style. So we'd like to test
              >Interop for the .Net hexBinary implementation, since people have the
              >client tests already.
              >

              >If this still causes inconvenience in testing on others side - we could

              >move this method in a separate wsdl. But the intent was to get test
              >coverage without asking you to change your client tests.
              >

              >Thanks

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • simonfell99
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 12, 2002
                --- In soapbuilders@y..., "John Koropchak" <johnko@m...> wrote:
                > Hi Simon
                >
                > Would you send me the trace of the failure where mustUnderstand=1
                > is not returning a fault?

                http://www.pocketsoap.com/weblog/soapInterop/ASP.NET%20Web%20Services%
                20Round%202%20Base.html

              • John Koropchak
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 12, 2002
                  Hi Simon

                  Anyway, I tried it, but get an error
                  The request element <echoHexBinary xmlns='http://soapinterop.org/'> was
                  not recognized.

                  -This was my error Simon and the service has been fixed. This should
                  work for you now.

                  Also the ASP.NET endpoint is failing my mustUnderstand headers test
                  [i.e. i send an unknown header with mustUnderstand='1', but its doesn't
                  fault].

                  -This is a bug in our product. Thanks for catching this.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 12, 2002
                    On Wed, 12 Jun 2002 16:42:15 -0700, in soap you wrote:

                    >Hi Simon
                    >
                    >Anyway, I tried it, but get an error
                    >The request element <echoHexBinary xmlns='http://soapinterop.org/'> was
                    >not recognized.
                    >
                    >-This was my error Simon and the service has been fixed. This should
                    >work for you now.

                    I don't get a fault now, but i always get an empty response [i.e.
                    there's nothing inside the body tag].

                  • John Koropchak
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 13, 2002
                      I believe that's because you have the message name as 'inputHexBinary'
                      but it should be 'x'. Where does inputHexBinary come from?

                      On Wed, 12 Jun 2002 16:42:15 -0700, in soap you wrote:

                      >Hi Simon
                      >
                      >Anyway, I tried it, but get an error
                      >The request element <echoHexBinary xmlns='http://soapinterop.org/'> was

                      >not recognized.
                      >
                      >-This was my error Simon and the service has been fixed. This should
                      >work for you now.

                      I don't get a fault now, but i always get an empty response [i.e.
                      there's nothing inside the body tag].

                      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                    • Wes Moulder
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 13, 2002
                        It’s a part of the reference WSDL[1]

                        --Wes
                        [1] http://www.whitemesa.com/interop/InteropTest.wsdl
                        <message name="echoHexBinaryRequest">
                          <part name="inputHexBinary" type="xsd:hexBinary" />
                          </message>

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 13, 2002
                          I have been attempting to make available our doc/lit implementation of hexBinary so that it's message would appear as RPC. This was done so it would have the same endpoint as the other services, which are RPC services. However as Simon and Wes have pointed out, there a problems with forcing this. So I have pulled the hexbinary test from http://mssoapinterop.org/asmx/simple.asmx. If you would still like to test your hexBinary implementation against ASP.NET's it is available at the following location. http://mssoapinterop.org/asmx/hexBinary.asmx

                          Thanks for your patience.

                          ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~--> Will You Find True Love? Will You Meet the One? Free Love Reading by phone! http://us.click.yahoo.com/Deo18C/zDLEAA/Ey.GAA/W6uqlB/TM