RE: [soapbuilders] VB not getting Fault from Apache

  • Tony Hong
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 21, 2001
      Sounds like there may be some wire-level difference between the fault envelopes generated by Apache and an MS server.
      Can you post both envelopes, including HTTP headers, as a starting point for an analysis of the differences?

      Cheers, tony
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 21, 2001
        Hi, Hansen!

        Probably the reason for that is that for some reason(?) ApacheSOAP
        returns 400 Bad request with fault message and according to spec it
        should be 500 (Internal) Server Error. MS can be sensitive to that.
        It's easy to check. Try to send wrong request to XMethods's
        interoperability services (there are services that works on
        ApacheSOAP and SOAP::Lite). Put wrong URI and you should get fault
        from both. See what's VB's reaction. And tell us :))

        Best wishes, Paul.

        --- "Hansen, Richard" <Richard.Hansen@...> wrote:
        > I've got a VB Soap client talking to an Apache SOAP service (using
        > the low
        > level API in MS Soap SDK 2.0 beta 1). When a SOAP fault is
        > returned, the VB
        > client does not seem to get it. SoapReader.Fault always seems to be
        > "Nothing". Using the TCP Monitor in Apache SOAP I see that the
        > server is
        > sending back a SOAP fault response. If there are no errors the
        > result is
        > sucessfuly returned and accessed by the VB client. Below is a code
        > snippet.
        >
        > Set Reader = New SoapReader
        > Reader.Load Connector.OutputStream
        >
        > If Not Reader.Fault Is Nothing Then
        > MsgBox Reader.faultstring.Text, vbExclamation
        > ElseIf Not Reader.RPCResult Is Nothing Then
        > MsgBox Reader.RPCResult.Text
        > Else
        > MsgBox "Something is wrong, did not find Result or Fault",
        > vbExclamation
        > End If

      • Hansen, Richard
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 21, 2001
          Well here is what Apache Soap is sending back. I don't have an MS Soap
          server running to test.

          HTTP/1.0 400 Bad Request
          Set-Cookie2: JSESSIONID=z4ln3fcdf1;Version=1;Discard;Path="/soap"
          Set-Cookie: JSESSIONID=z4ln3fcdf1;Path=/soap
          Servlet-Engine: Tomcat Web Server/3.2.1 (JSP 1.1; Servlet 2.2; Java 1.3.0;
          Windows NT 4.0 x86; java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.)

          <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
          <SOAP-ENV:Envelope
          <SOAP-ENV:Body>
          <SOAP-ENV:Fault>
          <faultcode>SOAP-ENV:Client</faultcode>
          <faultstring>No Deserializer found to deserialize a ':country2' using
          encoding style 'http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/'.</faultstring>
          <faultactor>/soap/servlet/rpcrouter</faultactor>
          </SOAP-ENV:Fault>
          </SOAP-ENV:Body>

          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 21, 2001
            Your'e right on both accounts. Wonder why Apache SOAP sends the wrong status
            code? But I suppose it would be a realtively easy change even for me to make
            in the Apache SOAP source. Guess I can't be mad at MS for this one. But I
            suppose the MS client could be a little more robust in handling anything
            other
            than a correct 200 status code.

            Thanks

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 21, 2001
              We are looking into supporting 400 response containing a fault in order to
              improve interoperability.

              However, at this point I hope that all SOAP implementers agree that the SOAP
              specification requires a 500 status when the body contains a fault. We may
              not all agree that this is what the specification should say :-), but we
              have to implement the specification as it exists.

              There is a real danger when an implementer chooses to support certain
              non-conformant behaviors in the implementation of a protocol. Suppose two
              implementations, A and B, allow slightly different non-conformant behavior.
              Now suppose someone is developing implementation C and they can test that
              implementation only against A. It is quite possible that C will contain
              flaws that are not detected during testing, so when it is deployed in an
              environment that uses B it fails. Multiply this situation by n
              implementations, each with m supported variances to the specification and
              you have a situation where interoperability is increasingly unlikely.

              To put it another way, when it comes to what an implementation accepts as
              valid, tight implementations tend to *increase* interoperability over time
              while loose implementations tend to *decrease* interoperability over time.
              This long term benefit has to be balanced against the need to get things
              working in the short term.

              == Mike ==

              Mike Deem
              Microsoft SOAP Toolkit PM

              I've got a VB Soap client talking to an Apache SOAP service (using the low
              level API in MS Soap SDK 2.0 beta 1). When a SOAP fault is returned, the VB
              client does not seem to get it. SoapReader.Fault always seems to be
              "Nothing". Using the TCP Monitor in Apache SOAP I see that the server is
              sending back a SOAP fault response. If there are no errors the result is
              sucessfuly returned and accessed by the VB client. Below is a code snippet.

              Set Reader = New SoapReader
              Reader.Load Connector.OutputStream

              If Not Reader.Fault Is Nothing Then
              MsgBox Reader.faultstring.Text, vbExclamation
              ElseIf Not Reader.RPCResult Is Nothing Then
              MsgBox Reader.RPCResult.Text
              Else
              MsgBox "Something is wrong, did not find Result or Fault",
              vbExclamation
              End If

            • Sanjiva Weerawarana
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 21, 2001
                Hi Mike,

                > We are looking into supporting 400 response containing a fault in order to
                > improve interoperability.
                >
                > However, at this point I hope that all SOAP implementers agree that the SOAP
                > specification requires a 500 status when the body contains a fault. We may
                > not all agree that this is what the specification should say :-), but we
                > have to implement the specification as it exists.

                Apache SOAP shouldn't be sending a 400 response. I agree with you
                about not becoming compatible with a non-conformant implementation. I
                think we should all agree to change the non-conformance rather than
                becoming "bug compliant" with one another!

                Apache SOAP probably got this behavior when we switched to a servlet ..
                earlier we used to set the error code directly. I'll look into this
                and commit a fix.

                Sanjiva.
              • Mike Deem
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 21, 2001
                  Thanks Sanjiva. I'm also committed to fixing problems in our implementation
                  as they are discovered.

                  == Mike ==

                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 21, 2001
                    FYI- I just committed a fix to this problem .. I think I made
                    the erroneous change sometime ago; dunno what I'd been smoking
                    that day. Sorry.

                    Sanjiva.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 21, 2001
                      Mike,

                      Is your counterpart in the .NET team lurking around here, i'd like to
                      know if some of the .NET beta 1 issues (wrt SOAP) will be resolved in
                      the beta 2 timeframe or not.

                      Thanks
                      Simon
                      www.pocketsoap.com

                      On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 21:44:02 -0800, in soap you wrote:

                      >Thanks Sanjiva. I'm also committed to fixing problems in our implementation
                      >as they are discovered.
                      >
                      > == Mike ==

                    • Hansen, Richard
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 22, 2001
                        OK, so when I have my Apache SOAP method throw a SOAPException, it comes
                        back as a status code 500 SOAP fault. An Apache Java client handles the
                        fault ok. But my VB client still says that SoapReader.Fault is Nothing. I am
                        not sure what I might try to do diferently on the VB side (I copied the low
                        level example in the SDK). The MS SoapReader object is pretty well
                        undocumented.

                        Below is the fault response Apache SOAP sends back. Anybody have an MS SOAP
                        fault response to compare it to?

                        Thanks

                        Rick Hansen

                        </SOAP-ENV:Envelope>HTTP/1.0 500 Internal Server Error Content-Type:
                        text/xml; charset=utf-8 Content-Length: 446 Servlet-Engine: Tomcat Web
                        Server/3.2.1 (JSP 1.1; Servlet 2.2; Java 1.3.0; Windows NT 4.0 x86;
                        java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.)
                        <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
                        <SOAP-ENV:Envelope
                        xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema"> <SOAP-ENV:Body>
                        <SOAP-ENV:Fault>
                        <faultcode>SOAP-ENV:Server</faultcode>
                        <faultstring>My Error Message</faultstring>
                        <faultactor>/soap/servlet/rpcrouter</faultactor>
                        </SOAP-ENV:Fault>
                        </SOAP-ENV:Body>
                        Probably the reason for that is that for some reason(?) ApacheSOAP
                        returns 400 Bad request with fault message and according to spec it
                        should be 500 (Internal) Server Error. MS can be sensitive to that.
                        It's easy to check. Try to send wrong request to XMethods's
                        interoperability services (there are services that works on
                        ApacheSOAP and SOAP::Lite). Put wrong URI and you should get fault
                        from both. See what's VB's reaction. And tell us :))

                        Best wishes, Paul.

                        --- "Hansen, Richard" <Richard.Hansen@...> wrote:
                        > I've got a VB Soap client talking to an Apache SOAP service (using
                        > the low
                        > level API in MS Soap SDK 2.0 beta 1). When a SOAP fault is
                        > returned, the VB
                        > client does not seem to get it. SoapReader.Fault always seems to be
                        > "Nothing". Using the TCP Monitor in Apache SOAP I see that the
                        > server is
                        > sending back a SOAP fault response. If there are no errors the
                        > result is
                        > sucessfuly returned and accessed by the VB client. Below is a code
                        > snippet.
                        >
                        > Set Reader = New SoapReader
                        > Reader.Load Connector.OutputStream
                        >
                        > If Not Reader.Fault Is Nothing Then
                        > MsgBox Reader.faultstring.Text, vbExclamation
                        > ElseIf Not Reader.RPCResult Is Nothing Then
                        > MsgBox Reader.RPCResult.Text
                        > Else
                        > MsgBox "Something is wrong, did not find Result or Fault",
                        > vbExclamation
                        > End If

                      • Mike Deem
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 22, 2001
                          I could not make our Beta 1 release recognize this fault either. The (soon
                          to be released) beta 2 DOES recognize it correctly.....

                          == Mike ==

                          Probably the reason for that is that for some reason(?) ApacheSOAP
                          returns 400 Bad request with fault message and according to spec it
                          should be 500 (Internal) Server Error. MS can be sensitive to that.
                          It's easy to check. Try to send wrong request to XMethods's
                          interoperability services (there are services that works on
                          ApacheSOAP and SOAP::Lite). Put wrong URI and you should get fault
                          from both. See what's VB's reaction. And tell us :))

                          Best wishes, Paul.

                          --- "Hansen, Richard" <Richard.Hansen@...> wrote:
                          > I've got a VB Soap client talking to an Apache SOAP service (using
                          > the low
                          > level API in MS Soap SDK 2.0 beta 1). When a SOAP fault is
                          > returned, the VB
                          > client does not seem to get it. SoapReader.Fault always seems to be
                          > "Nothing". Using the TCP Monitor in Apache SOAP I see that the
                          > server is
                          > sending back a SOAP fault response. If there are no errors the
                          > result is
                          > sucessfuly returned and accessed by the VB client. Below is a code
                          > snippet.
                          >
                          > Set Reader = New SoapReader
                          > Reader.Load Connector.OutputStream
                          >
                          > If Not Reader.Fault Is Nothing Then
                          > MsgBox Reader.faultstring.Text, vbExclamation
                          > ElseIf Not Reader.RPCResult Is Nothing Then
                          > MsgBox Reader.RPCResult.Text
                          > Else
                          > MsgBox "Something is wrong, did not find Result or Fault",
                          > vbExclamation
                          > End If

                        • Hansen, Richard
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 22, 2001
                            OK, guesss if you guys at MS who are developing this can't do I don't have
                            much chance either. One less thing to worry about for now.

                            Rick

                            I could not make our Beta 1 release recognize this fault either. The (soon
                            to be released) beta 2 DOES recognize it correctly.....

                            == Mike ==

                            Probably the reason for that is that for some reason(?) ApacheSOAP
                            returns 400 Bad request with fault message and according to spec it
                            should be 500 (Internal) Server Error. MS can be sensitive to that.
                            It's easy to check. Try to send wrong request to XMethods's
                            interoperability services (there are services that works on
                            ApacheSOAP and SOAP::Lite). Put wrong URI and you should get fault
                            from both. See what's VB's reaction. And tell us :))

                            Best wishes, Paul.

                            --- "Hansen, Richard" <Richard.Hansen@...> wrote:
                            > I've got a VB Soap client talking to an Apache SOAP service (using
                            > the low
                            > level API in MS Soap SDK 2.0 beta 1). When a SOAP fault is
                            > returned, the VB
                            > client does not seem to get it. SoapReader.Fault always seems to be
                            > "Nothing". Using the TCP Monitor in Apache SOAP I see that the
                            > server is
                            > sending back a SOAP fault response. If there are no errors the
                            > result is
                            > sucessfuly returned and accessed by the VB client. Below is a code
                            > snippet.
                            >
                            > Set Reader = New SoapReader
                            > Reader.Load Connector.OutputStream
                            >
                            > If Not Reader.Fault Is Nothing Then
                            > MsgBox Reader.faultstring.Text, vbExclamation
                            > ElseIf Not Reader.RPCResult Is Nothing Then
                            > MsgBox Reader.RPCResult.Text
                            > Else
                            > MsgBox "Something is wrong, did not find Result or Fault",
                            > vbExclamation
                            > End If

                          • Mike Deem
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 23, 2001
                              Simon, anyone been in touch with you yet? I forwarded you message to the
                              appropriate people. They were going to start monitoring the soap builders
                              list. They are very busy so their response time may be a little low.

                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 28, 2001
                                Hi Mike,

                                nope, not heard anything yet.

                                Thanks