RE: [soapbuilders] xsd:anyType

  • noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2002
      Uncommon, but legal. I would expect this might result in situations where
      a convention was established to make all entries in a message
      self-describing using xsi:type. Also, xsi:type="xsd:anyType" is a
      reasonable means of explicitly indicating that a sending application
      chooses not to assert any generalized knowledge of the type of the data
      (it obviously knows its contents, but not necessarily anything else.) If
      you sent a well-formed fragment, for example, this would be a good way to
      label it.

      Bottom line: I think implementations should hande xsi:type="xsd:anyType"
      . Thanks

      Noah Mendelsohn Voice: 1-617-693-4036
      IBM Corporation Fax: 1-617-693-8676
      One Rogers Street
      Cambridge, MA 02142

      "MURRAY,BRYAN (HP-Seattle,ex1)" <bryan_murray@...>
      05/31/2002 08:31 PM
      Please respond to soapbuilders

      To: "'soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com'" <soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com>
      cc: (bcc: Noah Mendelsohn/Cambridge/IBM)
      Subject: RE: [soapbuilders] xsd:anyType

      I suspect that anyType is much more valuable in describing an interface
      than
      it is in describing an instance. Just as in programming it isn't very
      often
      that you new up an Object and start passing it around, it won't be very
      common that someone does the same in XML. The web service equivalent of an
      interface is the WSDL in which anyType could be very important for some
      generic services. It just won't be very common in messages themselves.

      Bryan