VB not getting Fault from Apache

  • Hansen, Richard
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 21, 2001
      I've got a VB Soap client talking to an Apache SOAP service (using the low
      level API in MS Soap SDK 2.0 beta 1). When a SOAP fault is returned, the VB
      client does not seem to get it. SoapReader.Fault always seems to be
      "Nothing". Using the TCP Monitor in Apache SOAP I see that the server is
      sending back a SOAP fault response. If there are no errors the result is
      sucessfuly returned and accessed by the VB client. Below is a code snippet.

      Set Reader = New SoapReader
      Reader.Load Connector.OutputStream

      If Not Reader.Fault Is Nothing Then
      MsgBox Reader.faultstring.Text, vbExclamation
      ElseIf Not Reader.RPCResult Is Nothing Then
      MsgBox Reader.RPCResult.Text
      Else
      MsgBox "Something is wrong, did not find Result or Fault",
      vbExclamation
      End If
    • Tony Hong
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 21, 2001
        Sounds like there may be some wire-level difference between the fault envelopes generated by Apache and an MS server.
        Can you post both envelopes, including HTTP headers, as a starting point for an analysis of the differences?

        Cheers, tony

        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 21, 2001
          Hi, Hansen!

          Probably the reason for that is that for some reason(?) ApacheSOAP
          returns 400 Bad request with fault message and according to spec it
          should be 500 (Internal) Server Error. MS can be sensitive to that.
          It's easy to check. Try to send wrong request to XMethods's
          interoperability services (there are services that works on
          ApacheSOAP and SOAP::Lite). Put wrong URI and you should get fault
          from both. See what's VB's reaction. And tell us :))

          Best wishes, Paul.

          --- "Hansen, Richard" <Richard.Hansen@...> wrote:
          > I've got a VB Soap client talking to an Apache SOAP service (using
          > the low
          > level API in MS Soap SDK 2.0 beta 1). When a SOAP fault is
          > returned, the VB
          > client does not seem to get it. SoapReader.Fault always seems to be
          > "Nothing". Using the TCP Monitor in Apache SOAP I see that the
          > server is
          > sending back a SOAP fault response. If there are no errors the
          > result is
          > sucessfuly returned and accessed by the VB client. Below is a code
          > snippet.
          >
          > Set Reader = New SoapReader
          > Reader.Load Connector.OutputStream
          >
          > If Not Reader.Fault Is Nothing Then
          > MsgBox Reader.faultstring.Text, vbExclamation
          > ElseIf Not Reader.RPCResult Is Nothing Then
          > MsgBox Reader.RPCResult.Text
          > Else
          > MsgBox "Something is wrong, did not find Result or Fault",
          > vbExclamation
          > End If

        • Hansen, Richard
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 21, 2001
            Well here is what Apache Soap is sending back. I don't have an MS Soap
            server running to test.

            HTTP/1.0 400 Bad Request
            Set-Cookie2: JSESSIONID=z4ln3fcdf1;Version=1;Discard;Path="/soap"
            Set-Cookie: JSESSIONID=z4ln3fcdf1;Path=/soap
            Servlet-Engine: Tomcat Web Server/3.2.1 (JSP 1.1; Servlet 2.2; Java 1.3.0;
            Windows NT 4.0 x86; java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.)

            <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
            <SOAP-ENV:Envelope
            <SOAP-ENV:Body>
            <SOAP-ENV:Fault>
            <faultcode>SOAP-ENV:Client</faultcode>
            <faultstring>No Deserializer found to deserialize a ':country2' using
            encoding style 'http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/'.</faultstring>
            <faultactor>/soap/servlet/rpcrouter</faultactor>
            </SOAP-ENV:Fault>
            </SOAP-ENV:Body>

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 21, 2001
              Your'e right on both accounts. Wonder why Apache SOAP sends the wrong status
              code? But I suppose it would be a realtively easy change even for me to make
              in the Apache SOAP source. Guess I can't be mad at MS for this one. But I
              suppose the MS client could be a little more robust in handling anything
              other
              than a correct 200 status code.

              Thanks

              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 21, 2001
                We are looking into supporting 400 response containing a fault in order to
                improve interoperability.

                However, at this point I hope that all SOAP implementers agree that the SOAP
                specification requires a 500 status when the body contains a fault. We may
                not all agree that this is what the specification should say :-), but we
                have to implement the specification as it exists.

                There is a real danger when an implementer chooses to support certain
                non-conformant behaviors in the implementation of a protocol. Suppose two
                implementations, A and B, allow slightly different non-conformant behavior.
                Now suppose someone is developing implementation C and they can test that
                implementation only against A. It is quite possible that C will contain
                flaws that are not detected during testing, so when it is deployed in an
                environment that uses B it fails. Multiply this situation by n
                implementations, each with m supported variances to the specification and
                you have a situation where interoperability is increasingly unlikely.

                To put it another way, when it comes to what an implementation accepts as
                valid, tight implementations tend to *increase* interoperability over time
                while loose implementations tend to *decrease* interoperability over time.
                This long term benefit has to be balanced against the need to get things
                working in the short term.

                == Mike ==

                Mike Deem
                Microsoft SOAP Toolkit PM

                I've got a VB Soap client talking to an Apache SOAP service (using the low
                level API in MS Soap SDK 2.0 beta 1). When a SOAP fault is returned, the VB
                client does not seem to get it. SoapReader.Fault always seems to be
                "Nothing". Using the TCP Monitor in Apache SOAP I see that the server is
                sending back a SOAP fault response. If there are no errors the result is
                sucessfuly returned and accessed by the VB client. Below is a code snippet.

                Set Reader = New SoapReader
                Reader.Load Connector.OutputStream

                If Not Reader.Fault Is Nothing Then
                MsgBox Reader.faultstring.Text, vbExclamation
                ElseIf Not Reader.RPCResult Is Nothing Then
                MsgBox Reader.RPCResult.Text
                Else
                MsgBox "Something is wrong, did not find Result or Fault",
                vbExclamation
                End If

              • Sanjiva Weerawarana
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 21, 2001
                  Hi Mike,

                  > We are looking into supporting 400 response containing a fault in order to
                  > improve interoperability.
                  >
                  > However, at this point I hope that all SOAP implementers agree that the SOAP
                  > specification requires a 500 status when the body contains a fault. We may
                  > not all agree that this is what the specification should say :-), but we
                  > have to implement the specification as it exists.

                  Apache SOAP shouldn't be sending a 400 response. I agree with you
                  about not becoming compatible with a non-conformant implementation. I
                  think we should all agree to change the non-conformance rather than
                  becoming "bug compliant" with one another!

                  Apache SOAP probably got this behavior when we switched to a servlet ..
                  earlier we used to set the error code directly. I'll look into this
                  and commit a fix.

                  Sanjiva.
                • Mike Deem
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 21, 2001
                    Thanks Sanjiva. I'm also committed to fixing problems in our implementation
                    as they are discovered.

                    == Mike ==

                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 21, 2001
                      FYI- I just committed a fix to this problem .. I think I made
                      the erroneous change sometime ago; dunno what I'd been smoking
                      that day. Sorry.

                      Sanjiva.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 21, 2001
                        Mike,

                        Is your counterpart in the .NET team lurking around here, i'd like to
                        know if some of the .NET beta 1 issues (wrt SOAP) will be resolved in
                        the beta 2 timeframe or not.

                        Thanks
                        Simon
                        www.pocketsoap.com

                        On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 21:44:02 -0800, in soap you wrote:

                        >Thanks Sanjiva. I'm also committed to fixing problems in our implementation
                        >as they are discovered.
                        >
                        > == Mike ==

                      • Hansen, Richard
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 22, 2001
                          OK, so when I have my Apache SOAP method throw a SOAPException, it comes
                          back as a status code 500 SOAP fault. An Apache Java client handles the
                          fault ok. But my VB client still says that SoapReader.Fault is Nothing. I am
                          not sure what I might try to do diferently on the VB side (I copied the low
                          level example in the SDK). The MS SoapReader object is pretty well
                          undocumented.

                          Below is the fault response Apache SOAP sends back. Anybody have an MS SOAP
                          fault response to compare it to?

                          Thanks

                          Rick Hansen

                          </SOAP-ENV:Envelope>HTTP/1.0 500 Internal Server Error Content-Type:
                          text/xml; charset=utf-8 Content-Length: 446 Servlet-Engine: Tomcat Web
                          Server/3.2.1 (JSP 1.1; Servlet 2.2; Java 1.3.0; Windows NT 4.0 x86;
                          java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.)
                          <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
                          <SOAP-ENV:Envelope
                          xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema"> <SOAP-ENV:Body>
                          <SOAP-ENV:Fault>
                          <faultcode>SOAP-ENV:Server</faultcode>
                          <faultstring>My Error Message</faultstring>
                          <faultactor>/soap/servlet/rpcrouter</faultactor>
                          </SOAP-ENV:Fault>
                          </SOAP-ENV:Body>
                          Probably the reason for that is that for some reason(?) ApacheSOAP
                          returns 400 Bad request with fault message and according to spec it
                          should be 500 (Internal) Server Error. MS can be sensitive to that.
                          It's easy to check. Try to send wrong request to XMethods's
                          interoperability services (there are services that works on
                          ApacheSOAP and SOAP::Lite). Put wrong URI and you should get fault
                          from both. See what's VB's reaction. And tell us :))

                          Best wishes, Paul.

                          --- "Hansen, Richard" <Richard.Hansen@...> wrote:
                          > I've got a VB Soap client talking to an Apache SOAP service (using
                          > the low
                          > level API in MS Soap SDK 2.0 beta 1). When a SOAP fault is
                          > returned, the VB
                          > client does not seem to get it. SoapReader.Fault always seems to be
                          > "Nothing". Using the TCP Monitor in Apache SOAP I see that the
                          > server is
                          > sending back a SOAP fault response. If there are no errors the
                          > result is
                          > sucessfuly returned and accessed by the VB client. Below is a code
                          > snippet.
                          >
                          > Set Reader = New SoapReader
                          > Reader.Load Connector.OutputStream
                          >
                          > If Not Reader.Fault Is Nothing Then
                          > MsgBox Reader.faultstring.Text, vbExclamation
                          > ElseIf Not Reader.RPCResult Is Nothing Then
                          > MsgBox Reader.RPCResult.Text
                          > Else
                          > MsgBox "Something is wrong, did not find Result or Fault",
                          > vbExclamation
                          > End If

                        • Mike Deem
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 22, 2001
                            I could not make our Beta 1 release recognize this fault either. The (soon
                            to be released) beta 2 DOES recognize it correctly.....

                            == Mike ==

                            Probably the reason for that is that for some reason(?) ApacheSOAP
                            returns 400 Bad request with fault message and according to spec it
                            should be 500 (Internal) Server Error. MS can be sensitive to that.
                            It's easy to check. Try to send wrong request to XMethods's
                            interoperability services (there are services that works on
                            ApacheSOAP and SOAP::Lite). Put wrong URI and you should get fault
                            from both. See what's VB's reaction. And tell us :))

                            Best wishes, Paul.

                            --- "Hansen, Richard" <Richard.Hansen@...> wrote:
                            > I've got a VB Soap client talking to an Apache SOAP service (using
                            > the low
                            > level API in MS Soap SDK 2.0 beta 1). When a SOAP fault is
                            > returned, the VB
                            > client does not seem to get it. SoapReader.Fault always seems to be
                            > "Nothing". Using the TCP Monitor in Apache SOAP I see that the
                            > server is
                            > sending back a SOAP fault response. If there are no errors the
                            > result is
                            > sucessfuly returned and accessed by the VB client. Below is a code
                            > snippet.
                            >
                            > Set Reader = New SoapReader
                            > Reader.Load Connector.OutputStream
                            >
                            > If Not Reader.Fault Is Nothing Then
                            > MsgBox Reader.faultstring.Text, vbExclamation
                            > ElseIf Not Reader.RPCResult Is Nothing Then
                            > MsgBox Reader.RPCResult.Text
                            > Else
                            > MsgBox "Something is wrong, did not find Result or Fault",
                            > vbExclamation
                            > End If

                          • Hansen, Richard
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 22, 2001
                              OK, guesss if you guys at MS who are developing this can't do I don't have
                              much chance either. One less thing to worry about for now.

                              Rick

                              I could not make our Beta 1 release recognize this fault either. The (soon
                              to be released) beta 2 DOES recognize it correctly.....

                              == Mike ==

                              Probably the reason for that is that for some reason(?) ApacheSOAP
                              returns 400 Bad request with fault message and according to spec it
                              should be 500 (Internal) Server Error. MS can be sensitive to that.
                              It's easy to check. Try to send wrong request to XMethods's
                              interoperability services (there are services that works on
                              ApacheSOAP and SOAP::Lite). Put wrong URI and you should get fault
                              from both. See what's VB's reaction. And tell us :))

                              Best wishes, Paul.

                              --- "Hansen, Richard" <Richard.Hansen@...> wrote:
                              > I've got a VB Soap client talking to an Apache SOAP service (using
                              > the low
                              > level API in MS Soap SDK 2.0 beta 1). When a SOAP fault is
                              > returned, the VB
                              > client does not seem to get it. SoapReader.Fault always seems to be
                              > "Nothing". Using the TCP Monitor in Apache SOAP I see that the
                              > server is
                              > sending back a SOAP fault response. If there are no errors the
                              > result is
                              > sucessfuly returned and accessed by the VB client. Below is a code
                              > snippet.
                              >
                              > Set Reader = New SoapReader
                              > Reader.Load Connector.OutputStream
                              >
                              > If Not Reader.Fault Is Nothing Then
                              > MsgBox Reader.faultstring.Text, vbExclamation
                              > ElseIf Not Reader.RPCResult Is Nothing Then
                              > MsgBox Reader.RPCResult.Text
                              > Else
                              > MsgBox "Something is wrong, did not find Result or Fault",
                              > vbExclamation
                              > End If

                            • Mike Deem
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 23, 2001
                                Simon, anyone been in touch with you yet? I forwarded you message to the
                                appropriate people. They were going to start monitoring the soap builders
                                list. They are very busy so their response time may be a little low.

                                Message 15 of 15 , Feb 28, 2001
                                  Hi Mike,

                                  nope, not heard anything yet.

                                  Thanks