complex types derived from SOAP-ENC:Array

  • Xan Gregg
    Message 1 of 3 , May 6, 2002
      The following complexType definition comes from the WSDL for Interop Round 2
      Group B. [1]

      <complexType name="ArrayOfstring">
      <complexContent>
      <restriction base="SOAP-ENC:Array">
      <attribute ref="SOAP-ENC:arrayType" wsdl:arrayType="string[]" />
      </restriction>
      </complexContent>
      </complexType>

      The problem is that this type, and others in the suite, does not allow any
      child elements, which are needed for the array content. Being a
      restriction, it does not inherit the content model of its base type,
      SOAP-ENC:Array, which has wildcard content. What's needed is:

      <complexType name="ArrayOfstring">
      <complexContent>
      <restriction base="SOAP-ENC:Array">
      <attribute ref="SOAP-ENC:arrayType" wsdl:arrayType="string[]" />
      <xs:any namespace="##any" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"
      processContents="lax" />
      </restriction>
      </complexContent>
      </complexType>

      Or am I missing something?

      xan

      [1] http://www.whitemesa.com/interop/InteropTestB.wsdl

      Xan Gregg
      TIBCO Software, Inc.
      www.tibco.com
    • simonfell99
      Message 2 of 3 , May 6, 2002
        Yes, you are correct, however for various reasons it was decided to
        keep the array defintions as per the examples in the WSDL spec. see

        --- In soapbuilders@y..., Xan Gregg <xan@t...> wrote:
        > The following complexType definition comes from the WSDL for
        Interop Round 2
        > Group B. [1]
        >
        > <complexType name="ArrayOfstring">
        > <complexContent>
        > <restriction base="SOAP-ENC:Array">
        > <attribute ref="SOAP-ENC:arrayType" wsdl:arrayType="string
        []" />
        > </restriction>
        > </complexContent>
        > </complexType>
        >
        > The problem is that this type, and others in the suite, does not
        allow any
        > child elements, which are needed for the array content. Being a
        > restriction, it does not inherit the content model of its base type,
        > SOAP-ENC:Array, which has wildcard content. What's needed is:
        >
        > <complexType name="ArrayOfstring">
        > <complexContent>
        > <restriction base="SOAP-ENC:Array">
        > <attribute ref="SOAP-ENC:arrayType" wsdl:arrayType="string
        []" />
        > <xs:any namespace="##any" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"
        > processContents="lax" />
        > </restriction>
        > </complexContent>
        > </complexType>
        >
        > Or am I missing something?
        >
        > xan
        >
        > [1] http://www.whitemesa.com/interop/InteropTestB.wsdl
        >
        > Xan Gregg
        > TIBCO Software, Inc.
        > www.tibco.com
      • daggerbox
        Message 3 of 3 , May 7, 2002
          Thanks for the pointer -- sorry I missed the original thread.

          I'm disappointed that it was decided to be compatible with an
          erroneous example from the WSDL Note rather than be compatible with
          the world of XML Schema processors.

          To raise the issue of Section 2.2's allowance of a lax relation
          between the schema types and the wire format feels like a loophole
          that hurts the usefulness of having types at all in wsdl.

          xan