Re: [soapbuilders] Re: multiple schemas in WSDL question (was Suggestion?)

  • Pete Hendry
    Message 1 of 22 , May 3, 2002
      I'm not disagreeing, just making sure I understand for the case of wsdl. If I have

      <xsd:attribute ref="SOAP-ENC:arrayType" wsdl:arrayType="xsd1:Snapshot[]"/>

      and I am parsing this schema, then why do I not need to get the wsdl schema and check the type of the wsdl:arrayType attribute (which happens to be "string" but could have been anything else). To make sure this schema is valid I have to check the type of this attribute which requires getting the wsdl schema?

      I see what is being said about requiring it if it is referenced from a value, but why not in the case above?

      Pete

      Simon Fell wrote:
      sounds good to me.

      www.pocketsoap.com

      On Fri, 3 May 2002 14:38:33 -0500, in soap you wrote:

      For soap-enc arrays we are referencing soap-enc attributes, e.g., from
      below, the soap-enc namespace is *required* to be imported. However,
      the wsdl namespace does not need to be imported as it does not reference
      an external attribute, simpleType, or complexType.

      Fair summary?

      Thx,

      -Matt Long
      Phalanx Systems, LLC

      Message 2 of 22 , May 3, 2002
        right, _Your_ processing might require the schema for the wsdl
        namespace, but that doesn't mean that XSD mandates an <xsd:import>
        element.

        How is this different to a validating soap server ?, i have one that
        takes messages like
        <Envelope xmlns="...">
        <Body>
        <foo xmlns="urn:example.org">
        </foo>
        </Body>
        </Envelope>

        My processing requires access to a schema for urn:example.org to
        validate the message, but that doesn't change the format of the
        message.

        If you want to handle wsdl:arrayType, then you need to know the
        metadata that its a string (of a particular format), but that metadata
        doesn't have to be fetched from a schema. [in my WSDL impl, its hard
        coded, its not like it can change]. Of course, if you're building
        something that handles arbitrary schema extensions, then the schema
        would be nice, but shouldn't require <xsd:imports> in the schema
        document.

        www.pocketsoap.com

      • Matt Long
        Message 3 of 22 , May 4, 2002

          Pete,

          Here’s my spin…

                      <xsd:attribute ref="SOAP-ENC:arrayType" wsdl:arrayType="xsd1:Snapshot[]"/>

          The attributes references “SOAP-ENC:arrayType” which requires access to the SOAP-ENC namespace, i.e., through <xsd:import…>.  The arbitrary “wsdl:arrayType” is not a reference to an attribute, simpleType, or complexType and only requires that the namespace of “wsdl” be declared, i.e., xmlns:wsdl=”…”.

          I believe the above rules create valid schema;  _notice_ that this states nothing about the context of the “wsdl:arrayType” value.  The context of this attribute value only has meaning to the _WSDL Processor_ not the _Schema Processor_.

          Thx,

          -Matt Long

          Phalanx Systems, LLC

[...]

                  To:     soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com
                  cc:     (bcc: Noah Mendelsohn/Cambridge/IBM)
                  Subject:        [soapbuilders] Re: multip

          Message 4 of 22 , May 6, 2002
            Right conclusion, though I'm not sure your reasoning is quite correct.
            soap-enc must be imported in your example because it is used in a
            reference to a _schema_ component (in this case a type). In the
            example, the wsdl: namespace qualifies an attribute that means nothing to
            schema. Although its presence is legal, it is considered to be like
            <xsd:annotation>, a means of adding extensions that schema does not
            understand. A wsdl-knowledgeable processor can do what it wants with
            this, but there is no need for a schema import...a processor conforming to
            only the schema recommendation will do essentially nothing with the
            wsdl:arrayType attribute.

            Noah Mendelsohn Voice: 1-617-693-4036
            IBM Corporation Fax: 1-617-693-8676
            One Rogers Street
            Cambridge, MA 02142

            "Matt Long" <mlong@...>
            05/03/2002 03:38 PM
            Please respond to soapbuilders

            To: <soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com>

            Message 5 of 22 , May 6, 2002
              > Right conclusion, though I'm not sure your reasoning is quite correct.
              > soap-enc must be imported in your example because it is used in a
              > reference to a _schema_ component (in this case a type). In the
              > example, the wsdl: namespace qualifies an attribute that means nothing
              > schema.

              Is it accurate to state:?

              The wsdl namespace qualifies an attribute that is not a referenced
              schema component, e.g., the wsdl namespace is not required to be
              imported.

              Thx,

              -Matt Long
              Phalanx Systems, LLC

            • noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com
              Message 6 of 22 , May 6, 2002
                Yes, I think that's close enough. I think your "e.g." should be an "I.e."
                though...it's not an example.

                Noah Mendelsohn Voice: 1-617-693-4036
                IBM Corporation Fax: 1-617-693-8676
                One Rogers Street
                Cambridge, MA 02142

                "Matt Long" <mlong@...>
                05/06/2002 10:01 AM
                Please respond to soapbuilders

                To: <soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com>

                Message 7 of 22 , May 6, 2002
                  Oops!
                  I stand corrected (Beware the Ides of March!)

                  i.e. = id est = "that is"

                  e.g. = exempli gratia = "for example"

                  Thx,

                  -Matt Long