Re: [soapbuilders] Re: multiple schemas in WSDL question (was Suggestion?)

  • noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com
    Message 1 of 22 , May 3, 2002
      A schema document must import every namespace that is used in a reference
      to a schema component. Thus, in the following fragment:

      <xsd:element name="e" type="ns1:t"
      ns2:randomNonStandardExtensionAttr="ns3:xxx">
      <xsd:annotation>
      <xsd:documentation>
      </xsd:documentation>
      </xsd:annotation>
      </xsd:element>

      ns1 must be imported, because it is used in a reference to a schema type
      ns1:t. ns2, ns3, and html need not be imported. In the example,

      <xsd:element name="e" type="xsd:integer"/>

      I believe there is no need to import xsd, because the built-in types are
      pre-imported. I believe I opened an issue to the schema WG to clarify
      this point in future publications.

      By the way, you need only import things directly referenced. If the type
      ns1:t above was derived from ns5:base, there would be no need to import
      ns5 in this schema document. (There almost surely would be such a need in
      the schema document for the target namespace ns1.) In general, <import>
      is there to distinguish namespaces for which schema components must be
      acquired, from all the other random uses of namespaces in a schema
      document.

      Hope this helps.

      Noah Mendelsohn Voice: 1-617-693-4036
      IBM Corporation Fax: 1-617-693-8676
      One Rogers Street
      Cambridge, MA 02142

      "simonfell99" <soap@...>
      05/03/02 12:52 PM
      Please respond to soapbuilders

      To: soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com
      cc: (bcc: Noah Mendelsohn/Cambridge/IBM)
      Subject: [soapbuilders] Re: multiple schemas in WSDL question (was Suggestion?)

      I don't think there's a requirement for schema documents to import
      all namespaces that appear in the doc. I had a quick look through the
      schema spec and didn't spot a section that covered extending schema,
      i'll have a more detailed look later [unless one of the schema guys
      want to jump in first]

      FWIW, I see the same results as Matt, MSXML4.0 requires the soap-enc
      import [and this is missing from so many docs, that i now have an
      option in my WSDL tools to insert it if needed :(], but doesn't
      require an import for wsdl.

      www.pocketsoap.com

      --- In soapbuilders@y..., Pete Hendry <peter.hendry@c...> wrote:
      > Does this matter? It is used as a namespace in the schema so should
      > it not be included? Does the definition of anyAttribute in
      > SOAP-ENC:arrayType as "lax" mean that the wsdl namespace does not
      > need to be resolved to its schema?
      >
      > Pete
      >
      > Simon Fell wrote:
      >
      > >Hi,
      > >
      > >But unlike soap-enc, the wsdl namespace is not used as a value in
      any
      > >of the schema defined element / attribute.
      > >
      > >Cheers
      > >Simon
      > >www.pocketsoap.com
      > >
      > >On Fri, 03 May 2002 13:26:26 +1200, in soap you wrote:
      > >
      > >>soap-enc array definitions in WSDL use wsdl:arrayType
      > >>
      > >> <xsd:attribute ref="SOAP-ENC:arrayType"
      wsdl:arrayType="xsd1:Snapshot[]"/>

      > >>Obviously the wsdl schema would only be required if an array was
      present
      > >>in the schema.
      > >>
      > >>Pete

    • Matt Long
      Message 2 of 22 , May 3, 2002
        For soap-enc arrays we are referencing soap-enc attributes, e.g., from
        below, the soap-enc namespace is *required* to be imported. However,
        the wsdl namespace does not need to be imported as it does not reference
        an external attribute, simpleType, or complexType.

        Fair summary?

        Thx,

        -Matt Long
        Phalanx Systems, LLC

        Message 3 of 22 , May 3, 2002
          sounds good to me.

          www.pocketsoap.com

          On Fri, 3 May 2002 14:38:33 -0500, in soap you wrote:

          >For soap-enc arrays we are referencing soap-enc attributes, e.g., from
          >below, the soap-enc namespace is *required* to be imported. However,
          >the wsdl namespace does not need to be imported as it does not reference
          >an external attribute, simpleType, or complexType.
          >
          >Fair summary?
          >
          >Thx,
          >
          >-Matt Long
          >Phalanx Systems, LLC

        • Pete Hendry
          Message 4 of 22 , May 3, 2002
            I'm not disagreeing, just making sure I understand for the case of wsdl. If I have

            <xsd:attribute ref="SOAP-ENC:arrayType" wsdl:arrayType="xsd1:Snapshot[]"/>

            and I am parsing this schema, then why do I not need to get the wsdl schema and check the type of the wsdl:arrayType attribute (which happens to be "string" but could have been anything else). To make sure this schema is valid I have to check the type of this attribute which requires getting the wsdl schema?

            I see what is being said about requiring it if it is referenced from a value, but why not in the case above?

            Pete

            Simon Fell wrote:
[...]

            To: soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com
            cc: (bcc: Noah Mendelsohn/Cambridge/IBM)
            Subject: [soapbuilders] Re: multip le schemas in WSDL
            question (was Suggestion?)

            simonfell99 wrote:

[...]

            Tied to your PC? Cut Loose and
            Stay connected with Yahoo! Mobile
            http://us.click.yahoo.com/QBCcSD/o1CEAA/sXBHAA/W6uqlB/TM

            Message 5 of 22 , May 3, 2002
              right, _Your_ processing might require the schema for the wsdl
              namespace, but that doesn't mean that XSD mandates an <xsd:import>
              element.

              How is this different to a validating soap server ?, i have one that
              takes messages like
              <Envelope xmlns="...">
              <Body>
              <foo xmlns="urn:example.org">
              </foo>
              </Body>
              </Envelope>

              My processing requires access to a schema for urn:example.org to
              validate the message, but that doesn't change the format of the
              message.

              If you want to handle wsdl:arrayType, then you need to know the
              metadata that its a string (of a particular format), but that metadata
              doesn't have to be fetched from a schema. [in my WSDL impl, its hard
              coded, its not like it can change]. Of course, if you're building
              something that handles arbitrary schema extensions, then the schema
              would be nice, but shouldn't require <xsd:imports> in the schema
              document.

              www.pocketsoap.com

              Message 6 of 22 , May 4, 2002

                Pete,

                Here’s my spin…

                            <xsd:attribute ref="SOAP-ENC:arrayType" wsdl:arrayType="xsd1:Snapshot[]"/>

                The attributes references “SOAP-ENC:arrayType” which requires access to the SOAP-ENC namespace, i.e., through <xsd:import…>.  The arbitrary “wsdl:arrayType” is not a reference to an attribute, simpleType, or complexType and only requires that the namespace of “wsdl” be declared, i.e., xmlns:wsdl=”…”.

                I believe the above rules create valid schema;  _notice_ that this states nothing about the context of the “wsdl:arrayType” value.  The context of this attribute value only has meaning to the _WSDL Processor_ not the _Schema Processor_.

                Thx,

                -Matt Long

                Phalanx Systems, LLC

[...]

                        To:     soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com
                        cc:     (bcc: Noah Mendelsohn/Cambridge/IBM)
                        Subject:        [soapbuilders] Re: multip
                le schemas in WSDL
                question (was Suggestion?)

                Message 7 of 22 , May 6, 2002
                  Right conclusion, though I'm not sure your reasoning is quite correct.
                  soap-enc must be imported in your example because it is used in a
                  reference to a _schema_ component (in this case a type). In the
                  example, the wsdl: namespace qualifies an attribute that means nothing to
                  schema. Although its presence is legal, it is considered to be like
                  <xsd:annotation>, a means of adding extensions that schema does not
                  understand. A wsdl-knowledgeable processor can do what it wants with
                  this, but there is no need for a schema import...a processor conforming to
                  only the schema recommendation will do essentially nothing with the
                  wsdl:arrayType attribute.

                  Noah Mendelsohn Voice: 1-617-693-4036
                  IBM Corporation Fax: 1-617-693-8676
                  One Rogers Street
                  Cambridge, MA 02142

                  "Matt Long" <mlong@...>
                  05/03/2002 03:38 PM
                  Please respond to soapbuilders

                  To: <soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com>

                  Message 8 of 22 , May 6, 2002
                    > Right conclusion, though I'm not sure your reasoning is quite correct.
                    > soap-enc must be imported in your example because it is used in a
                    > reference to a _schema_ component (in this case a type). In the
                    > example, the wsdl: namespace qualifies an attribute that means nothing
                    > schema.

                    Is it accurate to state:?

                    The wsdl namespace qualifies an attribute that is not a referenced
                    schema component, e.g., the wsdl namespace is not required to be
                    imported.

                    Thx,

                    -Matt Long
                    Phalanx Systems, LLC

                    Message 9 of 22 , May 6, 2002
                      Yes, I think that's close enough. I think your "e.g." should be an "I.e."
                      though...it's not an example.

                      Noah Mendelsohn Voice: 1-617-693-4036
                      IBM Corporation Fax: 1-617-693-8676
                      One Rogers Street
                      Cambridge, MA 02142

                      "Matt Long" <mlong@...>
                      05/06/2002 10:01 AM
                      Please respond to soapbuilders

                      To: <soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com>

                      Message 10 of 22 , May 6, 2002
                        Oops!
                        I stand corrected (Beware the Ides of March!)

                        i.e. = id est = "that is"

                        e.g. = exempli gratia = "for example"

                        Thx,

                        -Matt Long