Re: [soapbuilders] Re: multiple schemas in WSDL question (was Suggestion?)

  • Simon Horrell
    Message 1 of 22 , May 3, 2002
      [inline]
      Si.

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "simonfell99" <soap@...>
      To: <soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, May 03, 2002 5:52 PM
      Subject: [soapbuilders] Re: multiple schemas in WSDL question (was
      Suggestion?)

      > I don't think there's a requirement for schema documents to import
      > all namespaces that appear in the doc. I had a quick look through the
      > schema spec and didn't spot a section that covered extending schema,
      > i'll have a more detailed look later [unless one of the schema guys
      > want to jump in first]

      [Si H] I'm *not* one of the schema guys but that is certainly my take. When
      defining an XML schema, it is possible to reference constructs
      (complex/simple types, global element/attributes decls, group, attribute
      groups) from namespaces other than the schema's targetNamespace (let's call
      them an external namespace). As long as the software that processes the
      schema document (i.e. a schema processor) is told about (or already knows
      about) the relationships between the referenced external namespaces and the
      location of the schemas that describes them before it processes the schema
      document then everything should be fine. Strikes me that xsd:import is but
      one way you could specify this relationship. Bear in mind that the location
      attribute of xsd:import is optional anyway.

    • noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com
      Message 2 of 22 , May 3, 2002
        A schema document must import every namespace that is used in a reference
        to a schema component. Thus, in the following fragment:

        <xsd:element name="e" type="ns1:t"
        ns2:randomNonStandardExtensionAttr="ns3:xxx">
        <xsd:annotation>
        <xsd:documentation>
        </xsd:documentation>
        </xsd:annotation>
        </xsd:element>

        ns1 must be imported, because it is used in a reference to a schema type
        ns1:t. ns2, ns3, and html need not be imported. In the example,

        <xsd:element name="e" type="xsd:integer"/>

        I believe there is no need to import xsd, because the built-in types are
        pre-imported. I believe I opened an issue to the schema WG to clarify
        this point in future publications.

        By the way, you need only import things directly referenced. If the type
        ns1:t above was derived from ns5:base, there would be no need to import
        ns5 in this schema document. (There almost surely would be such a need in
        the schema document for the target namespace ns1.) In general, <import>
        is there to distinguish namespaces for which schema components must be
        acquired, from all the other random uses of namespaces in a schema
        document.

        Hope this helps.

        Noah Mendelsohn Voice: 1-617-693-4036
        IBM Corporation Fax: 1-617-693-8676
        One Rogers Street
        Cambridge, MA 02142

        "simonfell99" <soap@...>
        05/03/02 12:52 PM
        Please respond to soapbuilders

        To: soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com
        cc: (bcc: Noah Mendelsohn/Cambridge/IBM)
        Subject: [soapbuilders] Re: multiple schemas in WSDL question (was Suggestion?)

      • Matt Long
        Message 3 of 22 , May 3, 2002
          For soap-enc arrays we are referencing soap-enc attributes, e.g., from
          below, the soap-enc namespace is *required* to be imported. However,
          the wsdl namespace does not need to be imported as it does not reference
          an external attribute, simpleType, or complexType.

          Fair summary?

          Thx,

          -Matt Long
          Phalanx Systems, LLC

          Message 4 of 22 , May 3, 2002
            sounds good to me.

            www.pocketsoap.com

            On Fri, 3 May 2002 14:38:33 -0500, in soap you wrote:

            >For soap-enc arrays we are referencing soap-enc attributes, e.g., from
            >below, the soap-enc namespace is *required* to be imported. However,
            >the wsdl namespace does not need to be imported as it does not reference
            >an external attribute, simpleType, or complexType.
            >
            >Fair summary?
            >
            >Thx,
            >
            >-Matt Long
            >Phalanx Systems, LLC

          • Pete Hendry
            Message 5 of 22 , May 3, 2002
              I'm not disagreeing, just making sure I understand for the case of wsdl. If I have

              <xsd:attribute ref="SOAP-ENC:arrayType" wsdl:arrayType="xsd1:Snapshot[]"/>

              and I am parsing this schema, then why do I not need to get the wsdl schema and check the type of the wsdl:arrayType attribute (which happens to be "string" but could have been anything else). To make sure this schema is valid I have to check the type of this attribute which requires getting the wsdl schema?

              I see what is being said about requiring it if it is referenced from a value, but why not in the case above?

              Pete

              Simon Fell wrote:
[...]

              To: soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com
              cc: (bcc: Noah Mendelsohn/Cambridge/IBM)
              Subject: [soapbuilders] Re: multip le schemas in WSDL
              question (was Suggestion?)

              simonfell99 wrote:

[...]

              Tied to your PC? Cut Loose and
              Stay connected with Yahoo! Mobile
              http://us.click.yahoo.com/QBCcSD/o1CEAA/sXBHAA/W6uqlB/TM

              Message 6 of 22 , May 3, 2002
                right, _Your_ processing might require the schema for the wsdl
                namespace, but that doesn't mean that XSD mandates an <xsd:import>
                element.

                How is this different to a validating soap server ?, i have one that
                takes messages like
                <Envelope xmlns="...">
                <Body>
                <foo xmlns="urn:example.org">
                </foo>
                </Body>
                </Envelope>

                My processing requires access to a schema for urn:example.org to
                validate the message, but that doesn't change the format of the
                message.

                If you want to handle wsdl:arrayType, then you need to know the
                metadata that its a string (of a particular format), but that metadata
                doesn't have to be fetched from a schema. [in my WSDL impl, its hard
                coded, its not like it can change]. Of course, if you're building
                something that handles arbitrary schema extensions, then the schema
                would be nice, but shouldn't require <xsd:imports> in the schema
                document.

                www.pocketsoap.com

                Message 7 of 22 , May 4, 2002

                  Pete,

                  Here’s my spin…

                              <xsd:attribute ref="SOAP-ENC:arrayType" wsdl:arrayType="xsd1:Snapshot[]"/>

                  The attributes references “SOAP-ENC:arrayType” which requires access to the SOAP-ENC namespace, i.e., through <xsd:import…>.  The arbitrary “wsdl:arrayType” is not a reference to an attribute, simpleType, or complexType and only requires that the namespace of “wsdl” be declared, i.e., xmlns:wsdl=”…”.

                  I believe the above rules create valid schema;  _notice_ that this states nothing about the context of the “wsdl:arrayType” value.  The context of this attribute value only has meaning to the _WSDL Processor_ not the _Schema Processor_.

                  Thx,

                  -Matt Long

                  Phalanx Systems, LLC

[...]

                          To:     soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com
                          cc:     (bcc: Noah Mendelsohn/Cambridge/IBM)
                          Subject:        [soapbuilders] Re: multip
                  le schemas in WSDL
                  question (was Suggestion?)

                  Message 8 of 22 , May 6, 2002
                    Right conclusion, though I'm not sure your reasoning is quite correct.
                    soap-enc must be imported in your example because it is used in a
                    reference to a _schema_ component (in this case a type). In the
                    example, the wsdl: namespace qualifies an attribute that means nothing to
                    schema. Although its presence is legal, it is considered to be like
                    <xsd:annotation>, a means of adding extensions that schema does not
                    understand. A wsdl-knowledgeable processor can do what it wants with
                    this, but there is no need for a schema import...a processor conforming to
                    only the schema recommendation will do essentially nothing with the
                    wsdl:arrayType attribute.

                    Noah Mendelsohn Voice: 1-617-693-4036
                    IBM Corporation Fax: 1-617-693-8676
                    One Rogers Street
                    Cambridge, MA 02142

                    "Matt Long" <mlong@...>
                    05/03/2002 03:38 PM
                    Please respond to soapbuilders

                    To: <soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com>

                    Message 9 of 22 , May 6, 2002
                      > Right conclusion, though I'm not sure your reasoning is quite correct.
                      > soap-enc must be imported in your example because it is used in a
                      > reference to a _schema_ component (in this case a type). In the
                      > example, the wsdl: namespace qualifies an attribute that means nothing
                      > schema.

                      Is it accurate to state:?

                      The wsdl namespace qualifies an attribute that is not a referenced
                      schema component, e.g., the wsdl namespace is not required to be
                      imported.

                      Thx,

                      -Matt Long
                      Phalanx Systems, LLC

                      Message 10 of 22 , May 6, 2002
                        Yes, I think that's close enough. I think your "e.g." should be an "I.e."
                        though...it's not an example.

                        Noah Mendelsohn Voice: 1-617-693-4036
                        IBM Corporation Fax: 1-617-693-8676
                        One Rogers Street
                        Cambridge, MA 02142

                        "Matt Long" <mlong@...>
                        05/06/2002 10:01 AM
                        Please respond to soapbuilders

                        To: <soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com>

                        Message 11 of 22 , May 6, 2002
                          Oops!
                          I stand corrected (Beware the Ides of March!)

                          i.e. = id est = "that is"

                          e.g. = exempli gratia = "for example"

                          Thx,

                          -Matt Long