RE: [soapbuilders] Re: multiple schemas in WSDL question (was Suggestion?)

  • Matt Long
    Message 1 of 22 , May 3 7:50 AM

      Pete,

      How do you validate something that does not exist, i.e., wsdl:arrayType=”xsd:string[,]”    ?

      Or is this the right question to even ask,   Gudge Help!

      Thx,

      -Matt Long

      Phalanx Systems, LLC

      Message 2 of 22 , May 3 9:52 AM
        I don't think there's a requirement for schema documents to import
        all namespaces that appear in the doc. I had a quick look through the
        schema spec and didn't spot a section that covered extending schema,
        i'll have a more detailed look later [unless one of the schema guys
        want to jump in first]

        FWIW, I see the same results as Matt, MSXML4.0 requires the soap-enc
        import [and this is missing from so many docs, that i now have an
        option in my WSDL tools to insert it if needed :(], but doesn't
        require an import for wsdl.

        www.pocketsoap.com

      • Simon Horrell
        Message 3 of 22 , May 3 10:49 AM
          [inline]
          Si.

          Message 4 of 22 , May 3 11:16 AM
            A schema document must import every namespace that is used in a reference
            to a schema component. Thus, in the following fragment:

            <xsd:element name="e" type="ns1:t"
            ns2:randomNonStandardExtensionAttr="ns3:xxx">
            <xsd:annotation>
            <xsd:documentation>
            </xsd:documentation>
            </xsd:annotation>
            </xsd:element>

            ns1 must be imported, because it is used in a reference to a schema type
            ns1:t. ns2, ns3, and html need not be imported. In the example,

            <xsd:element name="e" type="xsd:integer"/>

            I believe there is no need to import xsd, because the built-in types are
            pre-imported. I believe I opened an issue to the schema WG to clarify
            this point in future publications.

            By the way, you need only import things directly referenced. If the type
            ns1:t above was derived from ns5:base, there would be no need to import
            ns5 in this schema document. (There almost surely would be such a need in
            the schema document for the target namespace ns1.) In general, <import>
            is there to distinguish namespaces for which schema components must be
            acquired, from all the other random uses of namespaces in a schema
            document.

            Hope this helps.

            Noah Mendelsohn Voice: 1-617-693-4036
            IBM Corporation Fax: 1-617-693-8676
            One Rogers Street
            Cambridge, MA 02142

            "simonfell99" <soap@...>
            05/03/02 12:52 PM
            Please respond to soapbuilders

            To: soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com
            cc: (bcc: Noah Mendelsohn/Cambridge/IBM)

            Message 5 of 22 , May 3 12:38 PM
              For soap-enc arrays we are referencing soap-enc attributes, e.g., from
              below, the soap-enc namespace is *required* to be imported. However,
              the wsdl namespace does not need to be imported as it does not reference
              an external attribute, simpleType, or complexType.

              Fair summary?

              Thx,

              -Matt Long
              Phalanx Systems, LLC

              Message 6 of 22 , May 3 4:19 PM
                sounds good to me.

                www.pocketsoap.com

                On Fri, 3 May 2002 14:38:33 -0500, in soap you wrote:

                >For soap-enc arrays we are referencing soap-enc attributes, e.g., from
                >below, the soap-enc namespace is *required* to be imported. However,
                >the wsdl namespace does not need to be imported as it does not reference
                >an external attribute, simpleType, or complexType.
                >
                >Fair summary?
                >
                >Thx,
                >
                >-Matt Long
                >Phalanx Systems, LLC

              • Pete Hendry
                Message 7 of 22 , May 3 6:21 PM
                  I'm not disagreeing, just making sure I understand for the case of wsdl. If I have

                  <xsd:attribute ref="SOAP-ENC:arrayType" wsdl:arrayType="xsd1:Snapshot[]"/>

                  and I am parsing this schema, then why do I not need to get the wsdl schema and check the type of the wsdl:arrayType attribute (which happens to be "string" but could have been anything else). To make sure this schema is valid I have to check the type of this attribute which requires getting the wsdl schema?

                  I see what is being said about requiring it if it is referenced from a value, but why not in the case above?

                  Pete

                  Simon Fell wrote:
[...]

                  To: soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com
                  cc: (bcc: Noah Mendelsohn/Cambridge/IBM)
                  Subject: [soapbuilders] Re: multip le schemas in WSDL
                  question (was Suggestion?)

                  Message 8 of 22 , May 3 6:34 PM
                    right, _Your_ processing might require the schema for the wsdl
                    namespace, but that doesn't mean that XSD mandates an <xsd:import>
                    element.

                    How is this different to a validating soap server ?, i have one that
                    takes messages like
                    <Envelope xmlns="...">
                    <Body>
                    <foo xmlns="urn:example.org">
                    </foo>
                    </Body>
                    </Envelope>

                    My processing requires access to a schema for urn:example.org to
                    validate the message, but that doesn't change the format of the
                    message.

                    If you want to handle wsdl:arrayType, then you need to know the
                    metadata that its a string (of a particular format), but that metadata
                    doesn't have to be fetched from a schema. [in my WSDL impl, its hard
                    coded, its not like it can change]. Of course, if you're building
                    something that handles arbitrary schema extensions, then the schema
                    would be nice, but shouldn't require <xsd:imports> in the schema
                    document.

                    www.pocketsoap.com

                    Message 9 of 22 , May 4 5:05 AM

                      Pete,

                      Here’s my spin…

                                  <xsd:attribute ref="SOAP-ENC:arrayType" wsdl:arrayType="xsd1:Snapshot[]"/>

                      The attributes references “SOAP-ENC:arrayType” which requires access to the SOAP-ENC namespace, i.e., through <xsd:import…>.  The arbitrary “wsdl:arrayType” is not a reference to an attribute, simpleType, or complexType and only requires that the namespace of “wsdl” be declared, i.e., xmlns:wsdl=”…”.

                      I believe the above rules create valid schema;  _notice_ that this states nothing about the context of the “wsdl:arrayType” value.  The context of this attribute value only has meaning to the _WSDL Processor_ not the _Schema Processor_.

                      Thx,

                      -Matt Long

                      Phalanx Systems, LLC

[...]

                              To:     soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com
                              cc:     (bcc: Noah Mendelsohn/Cambridge/IBM)
                              Subject:        [soapbuilders] Re: multip
                      le schemas in WSDL
                      question (was Suggestion?)

                      Message 10 of 22 , May 6 6:24 AM
                        Right conclusion, though I'm not sure your reasoning is quite correct.
                        soap-enc must be imported in your example because it is used in a
                        reference to a _schema_ component (in this case a type). In the
                        example, the wsdl: namespace qualifies an attribute that means nothing to
                        schema. Although its presence is legal, it is considered to be like
                        <xsd:annotation>, a means of adding extensions that schema does not
                        understand. A wsdl-knowledgeable processor can do what it wants with
                        this, but there is no need for a schema import...a processor conforming to
                        only the schema recommendation will do essentially nothing with the
                        wsdl:arrayType attribute.

                        Noah Mendelsohn Voice: 1-617-693-4036
                        IBM Corporation Fax: 1-617-693-8676
                        One Rogers Street
                        Cambridge, MA 02142

                        "Matt Long" <mlong@...>
                        05/03/2002 03:38 PM
                        Please respond to soapbuilders

                        To: <soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com>

                        Message 11 of 22 , May 6 7:01 AM
                          > Right conclusion, though I'm not sure your reasoning is quite correct.
                          > soap-enc must be imported in your example because it is used in a
                          > reference to a _schema_ component (in this case a type). In the
                          > example, the wsdl: namespace qualifies an attribute that means nothing
                          > schema.

                          Is it accurate to state:?

                          The wsdl namespace qualifies an attribute that is not a referenced
                          schema component, e.g., the wsdl namespace is not required to be
                          imported.

                          Thx,

                          -Matt Long
                          Phalanx Systems, LLC

                        • noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com
                          Message 12 of 22 , May 6 7:21 AM
                            Yes, I think that's close enough. I think your "e.g." should be an "I.e."
                            though...it's not an example.

                            Noah Mendelsohn Voice: 1-617-693-4036
                            IBM Corporation Fax: 1-617-693-8676
                            One Rogers Street
                            Cambridge, MA 02142

                            "Matt Long" <mlong@...>
                            05/06/2002 10:01 AM
                            Please respond to soapbuilders

                            To: <soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com>

                            Message 13 of 22 , May 6 7:47 AM
                              Oops!
                              I stand corrected (Beware the Ides of March!)

                              i.e. = id est = "that is"

                              e.g. = exempli gratia = "for example"

                              Thx,

                              -Matt Long