RE: [soapbuilders] Re: multiple schemas in WSDL question (was Suggestion?)

  • Matt Long
    Message 1 of 22 , May 3, 2002
      Yup,

      U R right! (I think) Since the wsdl namespace does not define an element
      or attribute in schema, i.e., nothing to validate.

      Sidebar--I do know that MS-SOM can handle it if the wsdl namespace is
      declared (not imported), but soap-enc namespace must be imported (along
      with schemaLocation) to create a workable and/or validate-able SOM.

      Thx,

      -Matt Long
      Phalanx Systems, LLC

    • Pete Hendry
      Message 2 of 22 , May 3, 2002
        U R right! (I think) Since the wsdl namespace does not define an element
        or attribute in schema, i.e., nothing to validate.
        This is not the general case though is it? If the SOAP-ENC:arrayType attribute were not defined having anyAttribute with processContents="lax" then would the value of the wsdl:arrayType not have to be validated to make sure it is valid with respect to the schema in which it is defined (e.g. to check it is an int or whatever)? This would require loading the wsdl schema and so would require an import. It gets a bit hairy when you have to go off and find if the definition of an attribute matches an anyAttribute in another schema with processContents="lax". I'd generally rather import the schema for peace of mind. Of course, a conforming parser would work this all out and the schema would not need to be imported (which is what the question was in the first place).

        Rereading that and I'm confusing myself :-)

        Pete

        simonfell99 wrote:

        --- In soapbuilders@y..., Pete Hendry <peter.hendry@c...> wrote:

        Imo, the soap-enc namespace _should _ be imported.  While current
        SoapBuilderWSDLs mainly do not provide this, I don't see why
        soap-enc namespace should be exempt from schema rules.

        I agree with this. Also, the wsdl namespace should be imported.
        It is not special either. A conforming schema parser should
        error with the current schemas being generated.

        Right, I raised the import for soap-enc issue at the last
        SOAPBuilders F2F. I'm less clear on why the WSDL namespace should be
        imported, I don't recall any schema constructs that reference the
        WSDL namespace, Care to give an example ?

        www.pocketsoap.com

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to

        Tied to your PC? Cut Loose and
        Stay connected with Yahoo! Mobile
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/QBCcSD/o1CEAA/sXBHAA/W6uqlB/TM

      • Matt Long
        Message 3 of 22 , May 3, 2002

          Pete,

          How do you validate something that does not exist, i.e., wsdl:arrayType=”xsd:string[,]”    ?

          Or is this the right question to even ask,   Gudge Help!

          Thx,

          -Matt Long

          Phalanx Systems, LLC

          simonfell99 wrote:
[...]

          ttp://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • simonfell99
          Message 4 of 22 , May 3, 2002
            I don't think there's a requirement for schema documents to import
            all namespaces that appear in the doc. I had a quick look through the
            schema spec and didn't spot a section that covered extending schema,
            i'll have a more detailed look later [unless one of the schema guys
            want to jump in first]

            FWIW, I see the same results as Matt, MSXML4.0 requires the soap-enc
            import [and this is missing from so many docs, that i now have an
            option in my WSDL tools to insert it if needed :(], but doesn't
            require an import for wsdl.

            www.pocketsoap.com

          • Simon Horrell
            Message 5 of 22 , May 3, 2002
              [inline]
              Si.

              Message 6 of 22 , May 3, 2002
                A schema document must import every namespace that is used in a reference
                to a schema component. Thus, in the following fragment:

                <xsd:element name="e" type="ns1:t"
                ns2:randomNonStandardExtensionAttr="ns3:xxx">
                <xsd:annotation>
                <xsd:documentation>
                </xsd:documentation>
                </xsd:annotation>
                </xsd:element>

                ns1 must be imported, because it is used in a reference to a schema type
                ns1:t. ns2, ns3, and html need not be imported. In the example,

                <xsd:element name="e" type="xsd:integer"/>

                I believe there is no need to import xsd, because the built-in types are
                pre-imported. I believe I opened an issue to the schema WG to clarify
                this point in future publications.

                By the way, you need only import things directly referenced. If the type
                ns1:t above was derived from ns5:base, there would be no need to import
                ns5 in this schema document. (There almost surely would be such a need in
                the schema document for the target namespace ns1.) In general, <import>
                is there to distinguish namespaces for which schema components must be
                acquired, from all the other random uses of namespaces in a schema
                document.

                Hope this helps.

                Noah Mendelsohn Voice: 1-617-693-4036
                IBM Corporation Fax: 1-617-693-8676
                One Rogers Street
                Cambridge, MA 02142

                "simonfell99" <soap@...>
                05/03/02 12:52 PM
                Please respond to soapbuilders

                To: soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com
                cc: (bcc: Noah Mendelsohn/Cambridge/IBM)

                Message 7 of 22 , May 3, 2002
                  For soap-enc arrays we are referencing soap-enc attributes, e.g., from
                  below, the soap-enc namespace is *required* to be imported. However,
                  the wsdl namespace does not need to be imported as it does not reference
                  an external attribute, simpleType, or complexType.

                  Fair summary?

                  Thx,

                  -Matt Long
                  Phalanx Systems, LLC

                  Message 8 of 22 , May 3, 2002
                    sounds good to me.

                    www.pocketsoap.com

                    Message 9 of 22 , May 3, 2002
                      I'm not disagreeing, just making sure I understand for the case of wsdl. If I have

                      <xsd:attribute ref="SOAP-ENC:arrayType" wsdl:arrayType="xsd1:Snapshot[]"/>

                      and I am parsing this schema, then why do I not need to get the wsdl schema and check the type of the wsdl:arrayType attribute (which happens to be "string" but could have been anything else). To make sure this schema is valid I have to check the type of this attribute which requires getting the wsdl schema?

                      I see what is being said about requiring it if it is referenced from a value, but why not in the case above?

                      Pete

                      Simon Fell wrote:
[...]

                      To: soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com
                      cc: (bcc: Noah Mendelsohn/Cambridge/IBM)
                      Subject: [soapbuilders] Re: multip le schemas in WSDL
                      question (was Suggestion?)

                      Message 10 of 22 , May 3, 2002
                        right, _Your_ processing might require the schema for the wsdl
                        namespace, but that doesn't mean that XSD mandates an <xsd:import>
                        element.

                        How is this different to a validating soap server ?, i have one that
                        takes messages like
                        <Envelope xmlns="...">
                        <Body>
                        <foo xmlns="urn:example.org">
                        </foo>
                        </Body>
                        </Envelope>

                        My processing requires access to a schema for urn:example.org to
                        validate the message, but that doesn't change the format of the
                        message.

                        If you want to handle wsdl:arrayType, then you need to know the
                        metadata that its a string (of a particular format), but that metadata
                        doesn't have to be fetched from a schema. [in my WSDL impl, its hard
                        coded, its not like it can change]. Of course, if you're building
                        something that handles arbitrary schema extensions, then the schema
                        would be nice, but shouldn't require <xsd:imports> in the schema
                        document.

                        www.pocketsoap.com

                        Message 11 of 22 , May 4, 2002

                          Pete,

                          Here’s my spin…

                                      <xsd:attribute ref="SOAP-ENC:arrayType" wsdl:arrayType="xsd1:Snapshot[]"/>

                          The attributes references “SOAP-ENC:arrayType” which requires access to the SOAP-ENC namespace, i.e., through <xsd:import…>.  The arbitrary “wsdl:arrayType” is not a reference to an attribute, simpleType, or complexType and only requires that the namespace of “wsdl” be declared, i.e., xmlns:wsdl=”…”.

                          I believe the above rules create valid schema;  _notice_ that this states nothing about the context of the “wsdl:arrayType” value.  The context of this attribute value only has meaning to the _WSDL Processor_ not the _Schema Processor_.

                          Thx,

                          -Matt Long

                          Phalanx Systems, LLC

[...]

                                  To:     soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com
                                  cc:     (bcc: Noah Mendelsohn/Cambridge/IBM)
                                  Subject:        [soapbuilders] Re: multip
                          le schemas in WSDL
                          question (was Suggestion?)

                          Message 12 of 22 , May 6, 2002
                            Right conclusion, though I'm not sure your reasoning is quite correct.
                            soap-enc must be imported in your example because it is used in a
                            reference to a _schema_ component (in this case a type). In the
                            example, the wsdl: namespace qualifies an attribute that means nothing to
                            schema. Although its presence is legal, it is considered to be like
                            <xsd:annotation>, a means of adding extensions that schema does not
                            understand. A wsdl-knowledgeable processor can do what it wants with
                            this, but there is no need for a schema import...a processor conforming to
                            only the schema recommendation will do essentially nothing with the
                            wsdl:arrayType attribute.

                            Noah Mendelsohn Voice: 1-617-693-4036
                            IBM Corporation Fax: 1-617-693-8676
                            One Rogers Street
                            Cambridge, MA 02142

                            "Matt Long" <mlong@...>
                            05/03/2002 03:38 PM
                            Please respond to soapbuilders

                            To: <soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com>

                            Message 13 of 22 , May 6, 2002
                              > Right conclusion, though I'm not sure your reasoning is quite correct.
                              > soap-enc must be imported in your example because it is used in a
                              > reference to a _schema_ component (in this case a type). In the
                              > example, the wsdl: namespace qualifies an attribute that means nothing
                              > schema.

                              Is it accurate to state:?

                              The wsdl namespace qualifies an attribute that is not a referenced
                              schema component, e.g., the wsdl namespace is not required to be
                              imported.

                              Thx,

                              -Matt Long
                              Phalanx Systems, LLC

                            • noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com
                              Message 14 of 22 , May 6, 2002
                                Yes, I think that's close enough. I think your "e.g." should be an "I.e."
                                though...it's not an example.

                                Noah Mendelsohn Voice: 1-617-693-4036
                                IBM Corporation Fax: 1-617-693-8676
                                One Rogers Street
                                Cambridge, MA 02142

                                "Matt Long" <mlong@...>
                                05/06/2002 10:01 AM
                                Please respond to soapbuilders

                                To: <soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com>

                                Message 15 of 22 , May 6, 2002
                                  Oops!
                                  I stand corrected (Beware the Ides of March!)

                                  i.e. = id est = "that is"

                                  e.g. = exempli gratia = "for example"

                                  Thx,

                                  -Matt Long