soap questions

  • aspendans
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 7, 2002
      I am new to SOAP and I have to build a mainframe SOAP RPC Server that
      will acccept a SOAP RPC. I don't have fancy tools to accept the
      request so I have to deal with the syntax myself. The most common
      example looks similar to this:

      <SOAP-ENV:Envelope xmlns:SOAP-ENV="..." SOAP-ENV:encodingStyle="...">
      <SOAP-ENV:Body>
      <m:GetSalesTax xmlns:m="...">
      <SalesTotal xsi:type="xsd:decimal">100.00</SalesTotal>
      </m:GetSalesTax>
      </SOAP-ENV:Body>
      </SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

      I can currently accept any RPC that resembles the one shown above.
      However sometimes I see the tags in examples begin like this
      <soap:Envelope... Is this arbitrary? I've seen them with identical
      URI's and the tags says "SOAP-ENV" in one and "soap" in another.

      Also is an RPC structure tag always supposed to begin with <m: I have
      seen some with <q: and <x: is this arbitrary too?

      Thanks.
    • graham glass
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 7, 2002
        hi there,

        out of interest, why do you have to write your own SOAP server?

        it is a complex task to do correctly, and there are already a bazillion
        free SOAP servers available.

        just curious,
        graham

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 8, 2002
          > However sometimes I see the tags in examples begin like this
          > <soap:Envelope... Is this arbitrary? I've seen them with identical
          > URI's and the tags says "SOAP-ENV" in one and "soap" in another.

          It's completely arbitrary. You should read about "XML namespaces."

          > Also is an RPC structure tag always supposed to begin with <m: I have
          > seen some with <q: and <x: is this arbitrary too?

          Ditto.

          --
          Zolera Systems, http://www.zolera.com
          Information Integrity, XML Security
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 8, 2002

            Just as follow-up, you can see a list of those bazillion implementations here:

            http://www.soaplite.com/#LINKS (scroll down to toolkits).

            ________________________

            Scott Seely

            http://msdn.microsoft.com

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 8, 2002
              Rich Salz writes:

              >> It's completely arbitrary. You should read about "XML namespaces."

              Exactly. Since it looks like you're just getting started, I thought you
              might like the pointer. The namespaces recommendation is at [1]. Most
              recent starter books on XML will also cover namespaces (I suggest you
              probably don't want to rely on books old enough to not cover namespaces,
              as namespaces are effectively a core technology for XML at this point.)
              Hope this helps.

              [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml-names/

              Noah Mendelsohn Voice: 1-617-693-4036
              IBM Corporation Fax: 1-617-693-8676