RE: [soapbuilders] Quest for SOAP Interoperability

  • Matt Long
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002
      Hi Sam,

      I take the term "best practices" to infer one or both of these two items

      1) that SOAP messages may be compliant to the specification but not
      necessarily highly interoperable.

      2) that clarification needs to addressed as to what is and/or should be
      compliant for specific issues.

      Are either one of these items accurate from your pov?

      Thx,

      -Matt Long
      Phalanx Systems, LLC

    • Sam Ruby
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002

        #1.

        I tried to give several examples: passing a decimal with 40 digits of
        precision is legal, but relying on all 40 digits to make it to the other
        end is not wise. Similar statement can be made about fractional seconds
        with dates. Or trailing zeros on decimals. Or multi-ref of primitive
        types...

        None of these should be outlawed (IMHO), but we all would benefit if each
        implementation (this may include the application) had a standard document
        describing how it handles each of these cases.

        Think in terms of the food product labelling.

        - Sam Ruby
      • Matt Long
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002
          > Think in terms of the food product labelling.
          >
          > - Sam Ruby

          This is a good idea, imo. However, some lite-trending may need to be done
          such that it is not perceived as a "cigarette labeling." Perhaps it is time
          to derive an issues list and proceed with the process of what such a list
          should contain. Some agreement could be attempted to be forged in Waltham.

          Is this conceptually possible or out-of-scope?

          -Matt Long
          Phalanx Systems, LLC
        • ARVIND KUMAR
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 3, 2002
            dear sir,
            i'am arvind kumar from chennai ( india ) doing a
            project on web services using xml and soap . sir i
            would like to know what all other methods are there
            other than soap ? like now we are able to access the
            methods using soap from the server but how can we get
            access to the properties of the objects located at the
            server( a web server or any kind of server platform
            independent). please do elighten me in these areas for
            which i will be highly grateful to you.
            thanking you
            yours sincerely
            arvind kumar.

            http://auctions.yahoo.com
          • ARVIND KUMAR
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 3, 2002
              dear sir,
              i'am arvind kumar from chennai ( india ) doing a
              project on web services using xml and soap . sir i
              would like to know how we maintain the uniqueness of
              the ports used in the wsdl/wdml files ? what are the
              extreme advantages of using soap ? do we have any
              other tools to do the same ? please do elighten me in