Re: [soapbuilders] Quest for SOAP Interoperability

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002
      Hello,

      Well, since you asked, I think it's a nice start, there are many other specific interop problems that come to mind as well. I agree that rather than sweeping these things under the rug, it would be better to identify, classify, and document them for the benefit of everyone. The complement to this, a set of best practices, would be valuable if agreement could be reached on details. FWIW, I'd like to see soap-enc:root usage, the placement of soap-env:encodingStyle attributes, and character encoding issues covered. Such a thing would have to walk a fine line between being too general on one the hand, and "subsetting" SOAP on the other, right?

      RC

      > It is my belief that in addition to the SOAP standard, we need to document
      > a set of best practices and a create classification of errors that identify
      > potential interoperability issues. I jotted down some of my thoughts on
      > the subject and posted them at:
      >
      > http://radio.weblogs.com/0101679/stories/2002/02/01/toInfinityAndBeyondTheQuestForSoapInteroperability.html
      >
      > What do people think?
      >
      > - Sam Ruby

    • Matt Long
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002
        Hi Sam,

        I take the term "best practices" to infer one or both of these two items

        1) that SOAP messages may be compliant to the specification but not
        necessarily highly interoperable.

        2) that clarification needs to addressed as to what is and/or should be
        compliant for specific issues.

        Are either one of these items accurate from your pov?

        Thx,

        -Matt Long
        Phalanx Systems, LLC

      • Sam Ruby
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002

          #1.

          I tried to give several examples: passing a decimal with 40 digits of
          precision is legal, but relying on all 40 digits to make it to the other
          end is not wise. Similar statement can be made about fractional seconds
          with dates. Or trailing zeros on decimals. Or multi-ref of primitive
          types...

          None of these should be outlawed (IMHO), but we all would benefit if each
          implementation (this may include the application) had a standard document
          describing how it handles each of these cases.

          Think in terms of the food product labelling.

          - Sam Ruby
        • Matt Long
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002
            > Think in terms of the food product labelling.
            >
            > - Sam Ruby

            This is a good idea, imo. However, some lite-trending may need to be done
            such that it is not perceived as a "cigarette labeling." Perhaps it is time
            to derive an issues list and proceed with the process of what such a list
            should contain. Some agreement could be attempted to be forged in Waltham.

            Is this conceptually possible or out-of-scope?

            -Matt Long
            Phalanx Systems, LLC
          • ARVIND KUMAR
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 3, 2002
              dear sir,
              i'am arvind kumar from chennai ( india ) doing a
              project on web services using xml and soap . sir i
              would like to know what all other methods are there
              other than soap ? like now we are able to access the
              methods using soap from the server but how can we get
              access to the properties of the objects located at the
              server( a web server or any kind of server platform
              independent). please do elighten me in these areas for
              which i will be highly grateful to you.
              thanking you
              yours sincerely
              arvind kumar.

              http://auctions.yahoo.com
            • ARVIND KUMAR
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 3, 2002
                dear sir,
                i'am arvind kumar from chennai ( india ) doing a
                project on web services using xml and soap . sir i
                would like to know how we maintain the uniqueness of
                the ports used in the wsdl/wdml files ? what are the
                extreme advantages of using soap ? do we have any
                other tools to do the same ? please do elighten me in