Quest for SOAP Interoperability

  • Sam Ruby
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002
      It is my belief that in addition to the SOAP standard, we need to document
      a set of best practices and a create classification of errors that identify
      potential interoperability issues. I jotted down some of my thoughts on
      the subject and posted them at:

      http://radio.weblogs.com/0101679/stories/2002/02/01/toInfinityAndBeyondTheQuestForSoapInteroperability.html

      What do people think?

      - Sam Ruby
    • Dietrich Ayala
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002
        +1

        I asked many moons ago if anyone was documenting the points of consensus
        that this group comes to and received no answer. A "best practices" document
        would be extremely helpful to those of use who don't have the luxury of
        being able to spend our time following 100+ message threads on serializing
        the absence of a value ;)

        Dietrich

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002
          Hello,

          Well, since you asked, I think it's a nice start, there are many other specific interop problems that come to mind as well. I agree that rather than sweeping these things under the rug, it would be better to identify, classify, and document them for the benefit of everyone. The complement to this, a set of best practices, would be valuable if agreement could be reached on details. FWIW, I'd like to see soap-enc:root usage, the placement of soap-env:encodingStyle attributes, and character encoding issues covered. Such a thing would have to walk a fine line between being too general on one the hand, and "subsetting" SOAP on the other, right?

          RC

          > It is my belief that in addition to the SOAP standard, we need to document
          > a set of best practices and a create classification of errors that identify
          > potential interoperability issues. I jotted down some of my thoughts on
          > the subject and posted them at:
          >
          > http://radio.weblogs.com/0101679/stories/2002/02/01/toInfinityAndBeyondTheQuestForSoapInteroperability.html
          >
          > What do people think?
          >
          > - Sam Ruby

        • Matt Long
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002
            Hi Sam,

            I take the term "best practices" to infer one or both of these two items

            1) that SOAP messages may be compliant to the specification but not
            necessarily highly interoperable.

            2) that clarification needs to addressed as to what is and/or should be
            compliant for specific issues.

            Are either one of these items accurate from your pov?

            Thx,

            -Matt Long
            Phalanx Systems, LLC

          • Sam Ruby
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002

              #1.

              I tried to give several examples: passing a decimal with 40 digits of
              precision is legal, but relying on all 40 digits to make it to the other
              end is not wise. Similar statement can be made about fractional seconds
              with dates. Or trailing zeros on decimals. Or multi-ref of primitive
              types...

              None of these should be outlawed (IMHO), but we all would benefit if each
              implementation (this may include the application) had a standard document
              describing how it handles each of these cases.

              Think in terms of the food product labelling.

              - Sam Ruby
            • Matt Long
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002
                > Think in terms of the food product labelling.
                >
                > - Sam Ruby

                This is a good idea, imo. However, some lite-trending may need to be done
                such that it is not perceived as a "cigarette labeling." Perhaps it is time
                to derive an issues list and proceed with the process of what such a list
                should contain. Some agreement could be attempted to be forged in Waltham.

                Is this conceptually possible or out-of-scope?

                -Matt Long
                Phalanx Systems, LLC
              • ARVIND KUMAR
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 3, 2002
                  dear sir,
                  i'am arvind kumar from chennai ( india ) doing a
                  project on web services using xml and soap . sir i
                  would like to know what all other methods are there
                  other than soap ? like now we are able to access the
                  methods using soap from the server but how can we get
                  access to the properties of the objects located at the
                  server( a web server or any kind of server platform
                  independent). please do elighten me in these areas for
                  which i will be highly grateful to you.
                  thanking you
                  yours sincerely
                  arvind kumar.

                  http://auctions.yahoo.com
                • ARVIND KUMAR
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 3, 2002
                    dear sir,
                    i'am arvind kumar from chennai ( india ) doing a
                    project on web services using xml and soap . sir i
                    would like to know how we maintain the uniqueness of
                    the ports used in the wsdl/wdml files ? what are the
                    extreme advantages of using soap ? do we have any
                    other tools to do the same ? please do elighten me in