Re: [soapbuilders] .NET interop issues

  • George I Matkovits
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 11, 2001
      I hope you will be using Apache SoapV2.1. Or even better:
      the latest CVS :-)
      Regards - George
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 11, 2001
        We've just been looking at inter-op with .NET, i've written up some
        results / issues at

        http://simonfell.manilasites.com/

        www.pocketsoap.com

      • priya_m@vsnl.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 12, 2001
          Hi George ,
          as a matter of fact , I've been using vesion 2.1.....but I'm
          curious...do you think using version 2.1 will help solve any of the
          problems ?

          thanks,
          Priya
          --- In soapbuilders@y..., "George I Matkovits" <matkovitsg@u...>
        • priya_m@vsnl.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 12, 2001
            Hi Simon ,
            thanks a lot .....am in the process of reading ur findings
            regarding .NET.
            I have a question ... here's an excerpt of ur comments :
            "Here's a trace of pocketSOAP to the .NET Remoting services (not .NET
            WebMethods)"
            ..... is there a diff b/w how .NET Remoting services and .NET
            WebMethods work, esp with respect to SOAP ? Could you point me in
            the right direction to find out more about the differences b/w the
            two ?

            Thanks for your time,
            Priya

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 12, 2001

              Apparently there's two completely separate set of SOAP services in
              .NET, the WebServices / WebMethods support (using attributes of the
              same name), and then there's SOAP support in the .NET Remoting
              infrastructure. I don't know much more than that at this point, Peter
              was driving the .NET end, the remoting based stuff seemed easier to
              tweak, whilst the WebMethods stuff is a bit more fixed in what you
              get. We're going to be putting both ends of the sample up on a website
              somewhere so you can checkout the code.

              www.pocketsoap.com

            • priya_m@vsnl.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 13, 2001
                thanks for clarifying that.....am waiting eagerly to check out ur
                code :o)

              • keithba@microsoft.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 15, 2001
                  <just joined this list, so excuse my answering a month old question>

                  You can send literal, non section 5, messages that are not datasets.
                  Dataset is possible, but many others are as well. For instance:

                  <%@ WebService Language="C#" Class="Test" %>

                  using System;
                  using System.Web.Services;

                  public class Test{

                  [WebMethod]
                  public Foo EchoFoo( Foo foo ){
                  return foo;
                  }
                  }

                  public class Foo{

                  public string Blah;

                  [XmlAttribute]
                  public string Blorg;
                  }

                  will send and recieve Xml (in the body) that looks something like
                  this:

                  <Foo Blorg="">
                  <Blah></Blah>
                  </Foo>

                  With no section 5 encoding anywhere. Extrapolate this out, and you
                  can create classes like the Foo class above that cover a wide variety
                  of literal Xml types. (Matter of fact, if you have a schema document,
                  you can pass it to the xsd.exe tool in the SDK and it will create
                  these classes for you.)

                  --- In soapbuilders@y..., priya_m@v... wrote:
> [...]
                  > <?xml version="1.0"?>
                  > <soap:Envelope
                  > xmlns:soap
                  > enc="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
                  > xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/199
                  > 9/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema">
                  > <soap:Body>
                  > <getParamsResponse xmlns="http://tempuri.org/Response">
                  > <result>
                  > <xsd:schema id="soapResults" targetNamespace="urn:schema-
                  > params-com-soap
                  > :" xmlns="urn:schema-params-com-soap:"
                  > xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSche
                  > ma" xmlns:msdata="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-msdata">
                  > <xsd:element name="parameters">
                  > <xsd:complexType content="elementOnly">
                  > <xsd:all>
                  > <xsd:element name="active" minOccurs="0"
                  > type="xsd:string"/>
                  > <xsd:element name="visible" minOccurs="0"
                  > type="xsd:string"/>
                  > </xsd:all>
                  > </xsd:complexType>
                  > </xsd:element>
                  > <xsd:element name="soapResults" msdata:IsDataSet="True">
                  > <xsd:complexType>
                  > <xsd:choice maxOccurs="unbounded">
                  > <xsd:element ref="parameters"/>
                  > </xsd:choice>
                  > </xsd:complexType>
                  > </xsd:element>
                  > </xsd:schema>
                  > <a:soapResults version="0.1" dataFormat="recordSet"
                  > nColumns="1" method=
                  > "getParams" class="IsSOAP.paramsService" nRows="0"
                  > xmlns:a="urn:schema-params-com-soap:">
                  > <parameters xmlns="">
                  > <active>yes</active>
                  > <visible>true</visible>
                  > </parameters>
                  > </a:soapResults>
                  > </result>
                  > </getParamsResponse>
                  > </soap:Body>
                  > </soap:Envelope>
                  > ..and all this just to return values of the 2 parameters i passed !!
                  > Is there a more generic way of doing this.....?? Is it posible, at
                  > all, to achieve interop as far this is concerned ???
                  >
                  > regards,
                  > Priya
                  >
                  > --- In soapbuilders@y..., Paul Kulchenko <paulclinger@y...> wrote:
                  > > Hi, Priya!
                  > >
                  > > Here is details from SOAP::Lite documentation. It's specific to
                  > > SOAP::Lite implementation, however the same logic will work for
                  > > ApacheSOAP also and check explanation of Stefan Pharies about .Net
                  > > behavior. Hope it helps.
                  > >
                  > > Best wishes, Paul.
                  > >
                  > > =head2 INTEROPERABILITY
                  > >
                  > > =over 4
                  > >
                  > > =item Microsoft's .NET
                  > >
                  > > To use .NET client and SOAP::Lite server
                  > >
                  > > =over 4
                  > >
                  > > =item qualify all elements
                  > >
                  > > use fully qualified names for your return values, e.g.:
                  > >
                  > > return
                  > > SOAP::Data->name('~:myname')->type('string')->value($output);
                  > >
                  > > In addition see comment about default incoding in .NET Web
                  Services

                • keithba@microsoft.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 15, 2001
                    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/techart/hawksoap.htm has an
                    overview of the way SOAP works with the different implementations
                    inside of .NET