Re: [soapbuilders] HP endpoint WSDL

  • Rosimildo da Silva
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
      From: Bob Cunnings
      To: soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, January 06, 2002 7:56 PM
      Subject: Re: [soapbuilders] HP endpoint WSDL

      Hello,

      Have you seen:

      http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2001/12/19/wsdlwg.html

      yet? Bullet nbr 2 (literal/encoded) is relevant to this discussion.

      Rosimildo: Thanks for the link. I could not agree more.

      Hopefully, Santa listenned to all of us. :-)

      Rosimildo.

    • Rosimildo da Silva
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
          On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 06:02:58PM -0800, Kirill Gavrylyuk wrote:
          > Hi, all!
          > Bob is right, it is all again about rules of Section 5 and different use
          > of schema in case of literal and encoded modes of WSDL.
          > Schema in WSDL was never intended to specify how the message should look
          > like. It was to describe and abstract types used in abstract message.
          > The binding rules does the work of mapping abstract message to the wire.

          While I agree completely with what you are saying (WSDL is about
          the abstract message), I do have a slightly different opinion than
          some others here on a semantic quible.

          To me SOAP 5 says "here is how to turn a data structure into a wire
          representation". WSDL says "here is the contract for semantic data
          structures to be sent". So the WSDL defines methods, argument lsits,
          structures, and arrays and SOAP-5 defines how to turn them into
          a SOAP packet.

          My claim is that a WSDL file defines restrictions on what is valid
          to send. That is, "for method X you should send this abstract data
          structure - anything else is not correct". The issue then is how
          much power should there be in specifying the abstract data structure.

          The point I was trying to make in my previous mail is that I feel that
          a WSDL file should be able to specify whether elements in an array
          can be nil or not. (Similarly for parameters.) SOAP-5 can encode nils,
          but I think its useful for a WSDL file to be able to say "array elements
          cannot be nil" if that is what the WSDL writer wants to do. This is
          *not* contradictory to SOAP-5. SOAP-5 says "if there is a nil, here
          is how to encode it". The WSDL file says "the abstract data structure
          is not correct if the array contains nil values".

          Its all quite confusing though with XML schema being used for
          related but different purposes at both the WSDL and SOAP levels.

          Bringing it back in line with the purpose of this list, with the
          current WSDL file for interop testing it is not clear to me whether
          nils in arrays are valid or not. I don't think its good though
          to say "WSDL (abstract) array types always contain nils because
          SOAP-5 can always support that". It should be more "WSDL arrays
          can always contain nils because that is the way WSDL is defined."

          I agree with the idea behinds Santa's list - it seems something relatively
          simple is a lot more complex than it needs to be with many more options
          than needed.

          Alan
        • Kirill Gavrylyuk
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
            Hi, Alan!
            I agree with
            "WSDL arrays can always contain nils because that is the way WSDL is
            defined."
            Yes we have only one way of defining Section 5 arrays recommended by
            WSDL spec - which is used in the current interop wsdls. Any additional
            restrictions on array declaration in schema are at least not specified
            if not forbidden by the current binding between schema in WSDL and SOAP
            Section 5.

            So best interop under current WSDL spec would be achieved by following
            what is specified there. But I agree that your points should be
            definitely taken to the next version of WSDL spec.
            Thank you

            On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 06:02:58PM -0800, Kirill Gavrylyuk wrote:
            > Hi, all!
            > Bob is right, it is all again about rules of Section 5 and different
            > use of schema in case of literal and encoded modes of WSDL. Schema in
            > WSDL was never intended to specify how the message should look like.
            > It was to describe and abstract types used in abstract message. The
            > binding rules does the work of mapping abstract message to the wire.

            While I agree completely with what you are saying (WSDL is about the
            abstract message), I do have a slightly different opinion than some
            others here on a semantic quible.

            To me SOAP 5 says "here is how to turn a data structure into a wire
            representation". WSDL says "here is the contract for semantic data
            structures to be sent". So the WSDL defines methods, argument lsits,
            structures, and arrays and SOAP-5 defines how to turn them into a SOAP
            packet.

            My claim is that a WSDL file defines restrictions on what is valid to
            send. That is, "for method X you should send this abstract data
            structure - anything else is not correct". The issue then is how much
            power should there be in specifying the abstract data structure.

            The point I was trying to make in my previous mail is that I feel that a
            WSDL file should be able to specify whether elements in an array can be
            nil or not. (Similarly for parameters.) SOAP-5 can encode nils, but I
            think its useful for a WSDL file to be able to say "array elements
            cannot be nil" if that is what the WSDL writer wants to do. This is
            *not* contradictory to SOAP-5. SOAP-5 says "if there is a nil, here is
            how to encode it". The WSDL file says "the abstract data structure is
            not correct if the array contains nil values".

            Its all quite confusing though with XML schema being used for related
            but different purposes at both the WSDL and SOAP levels.

            Bringing it back in line with the purpose of this list, with the current
            WSDL file for interop testing it is not clear to me whether nils in
            arrays are valid or not. I don't think its good though to say "WSDL
            (abstract) array types always contain nils because SOAP-5 can always
            support that". It should be more "WSDL arrays can always contain nils
            because that is the way WSDL is defined."

            I agree with the idea behinds Santa's list - it seems something
            relatively simple is a lot more complex than it needs to be with many
            more options than needed.

            Alan

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • Tomas Bahnik
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 7, 2002
              I received xsd.double in group B echoStructAsSimpleTypes ( see part of
              response below ) from your endpoint http://demo.openlinksw.com:8890/interop
              which causes ClassCastException. Your wsdl states that outpuFloat is of type
              http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema:float

              Group B fail

              <SOAP:Body>
              <cli:echoStructAsSimpleTypesResponse xmlns:cli='http://soapinterop.org/'>
              <outputString xsi:type="xsd:string" dt:dt="string">wasp for
              java</outputString>
              <outputInteger xsi:type="xsd:int" dt:dt="int">5</outputInteger>

              <outputFloat xsi:type="xsd:double" dt:dt="double">1.234000</outputFloat>

              </cli:echoStructAsSimpleTypesResponse>
              </SOAP:Body>
              </SOAP:Envelope>

              Base is clean except for some precision loss in echoDecimal

              Tomas Bahnik
              Systinet
            • Kingsley Idehen
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 7, 2002
                Thomas,

                We will take a look.

                Kingsley

              • Daniel Kulp
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 7, 2002
                  On Friday 04 January 2002 04:24, CHEN,SHIH-CHANG (HP-NewJersey,ex2) wrote:
                  > All the wsdl bugs you reported should have been fixed on
                  > http://soap.bluestone.com/hpws/soap/EchoService.wsdl

                  I've updated the XMLBus client results page at:
                  http://interop.xmlbus.com:7002/results/index.html
                  to include the HP Soap results.

                  The array tests are all failing cause the namespaces in the result
                  messages are defined wrong. Note the SOAP-ENC namespace definition
                  inside the "return" element. With that namespace definition there, the
                  xsi:type is wrong and the SOAP-ENC:arrayType attribute is then an invalid
                  attribute. (The "SOAP-ENC" prefix is pointing to the "xsi" namespace) I
                  believe if the second SOAP-ENC namespace definition is removed (it is
                  defined correctly in the parent element) then the tests should pass.

                  <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
                  <SOAP-ENV:Envelope
                  <SOAP-ENV:Body>
                  <m1:echoIntegerArrayResponse
                  xmlns:m1="http://soapinterop.org/"
                  xmlns:s0="http://soapinterop.org/xsd"
                  <return SOAP-ENC:arrayType="xsd:int[5]"
                  xmlns:SOAP-ENC="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
                  xsi:type="SOAP-ENC:Array">
                  <item xsi:type="xsd:int">3836377</item>
                  <item xsi:type="xsd:int">1250845</item>
                  <item xsi:type="xsd:int">-4678540</item>
                  <item xsi:type="xsd:int">2271716</item>
                  <item xsi:type="xsd:int">-773413</item>
                  </return>
                  </m1:echoIntegerArrayResponse>
                  </SOAP-ENV:Body>
                  </SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

                  Enjoy!

                  --
                  J. Daniel Kulp
                  Principal Engineer
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 9, 2002
                    Tomas,

                    We have updated our interop endpoints at:
                    http://demo.openlinksw.com:8890/Interop/services.wsdl
                    And
                    http://demo.openlinksw.com:8890/interop/services.wsdl

                    The problems raised in your mail below have been addressed.

                    Regards,

                    Kingsley Idehen
                    OpenLink Software
                    http://www.openlinksw.com/virtuoso/whatis.htm

                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 9, 2002
                      > Tomas,
                      >
                      > We have updated our interop endpoints at:
                      > http://demo.openlinksw.com:8890/Interop/services.wsdl
                      > And
                      > http://demo.openlinksw.com:8890/interop/services.wsdl
                      >
                      > The problems raised in your mail below have been addressed.

                      The response is correct, the only problem is in your wsdl

                      <message name="echoStructAsSimpleTypesResponse">
                      <part name="outputString" type="xsd:string" />
                      <part name="outputInteger" type="xsd:int" />
                      <part name="outputFloat" type="xsd:float" />
                      <part name="CallReturn" type="xsd:string" />
                      ^^^^^^^^
                      </message>

                      and since your response is

                      <SOAP:Body>
                      <cli:echoStructAsSimpleTypesResponse xmlns:cli='http://soapinterop.org/'>
                      <outputString xsi:type="xsd:string" dt:dt="string">wasp for
                      java</outputString>
                      <outputInteger xsi:type="xsd:int" dt:dt="int">5</outputInteger>
                      <outputFloat xsi:type='xsd:float'>1.234</outputFloat>
                      </cli:echoStructAsSimpleTypesResponse>
                      </SOAP:Body>

                      we get null for outputString. Just remove CallReturn part (as in the
                      standard wsdl.)

                      *********END OF RESPONSE ***********

                      Tomas Bahnik

                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 9, 2002