RE: [soapbuilders] HP endpoint WSDL

  • Kirill Gavrylyuk
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
      Hi, all!
      Bob is right, it is all again about rules of Section 5 and different use
      of schema in case of literal and encoded modes of WSDL.
      Schema in WSDL was never intended to specify how the message should look
      like. It was to describe and abstract types used in abstract message.
      The binding rules does the work of mapping abstract message to the wire.

      Section 5 allows to have null elements in array(omit elements) and
      doesn't require elements of array to have specific name.
      WSDL just tells that parameter has a type of array - in encoded mode it
      cannot tell anything more.

      Given this reader should be able to parse any representation of array
      allowed by section 5 and should return Fault if it doesn't support some
      of its features.

      Hopefully next versions of WSDL will remove distinction between encoded
      and literal modes and SOAP 1.2 will makes array serialization rules more
      strict. But those will be next versions of WSDL and SOAP.

      Thanks.

      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
            On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 06:02:58PM -0800, Kirill Gavrylyuk wrote:
            > Hi, all!
            > Bob is right, it is all again about rules of Section 5 and different use
            > of schema in case of literal and encoded modes of WSDL.
            > Schema in WSDL was never intended to specify how the message should look
            > like. It was to describe and abstract types used in abstract message.
            > The binding rules does the work of mapping abstract message to the wire.

            While I agree completely with what you are saying (WSDL is about
            the abstract message), I do have a slightly different opinion than
            some others here on a semantic quible.

            To me SOAP 5 says "here is how to turn a data structure into a wire
            representation". WSDL says "here is the contract for semantic data
            structures to be sent". So the WSDL defines methods, argument lsits,
            structures, and arrays and SOAP-5 defines how to turn them into
            a SOAP packet.

            My claim is that a WSDL file defines restrictions on what is valid
            to send. That is, "for method X you should send this abstract data
            structure - anything else is not correct". The issue then is how
            much power should there be in specifying the abstract data structure.

            The point I was trying to make in my previous mail is that I feel that
            a WSDL file should be able to specify whether elements in an array
            can be nil or not. (Similarly for parameters.) SOAP-5 can encode nils,
            but I think its useful for a WSDL file to be able to say "array elements
            cannot be nil" if that is what the WSDL writer wants to do. This is
            *not* contradictory to SOAP-5. SOAP-5 says "if there is a nil, here
            is how to encode it". The WSDL file says "the abstract data structure
            is not correct if the array contains nil values".

            Its all quite confusing though with XML schema being used for
            related but different purposes at both the WSDL and SOAP levels.

            Bringing it back in line with the purpose of this list, with the
            current WSDL file for interop testing it is not clear to me whether
            nils in arrays are valid or not. I don't think its good though
            to say "WSDL (abstract) array types always contain nils because
            SOAP-5 can always support that". It should be more "WSDL arrays
            can always contain nils because that is the way WSDL is defined."

            I agree with the idea behinds Santa's list - it seems something relatively
            simple is a lot more complex than it needs to be with many more options
            than needed.

            Alan
          • Kirill Gavrylyuk
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
              Hi, Alan!
              I agree with
              "WSDL arrays can always contain nils because that is the way WSDL is
              defined."
              Yes we have only one way of defining Section 5 arrays recommended by
              WSDL spec - which is used in the current interop wsdls. Any additional
              restrictions on array declaration in schema are at least not specified
              if not forbidden by the current binding between schema in WSDL and SOAP
              Section 5.

              So best interop under current WSDL spec would be achieved by following
              what is specified there. But I agree that your points should be
              definitely taken to the next version of WSDL spec.
              Thank you

              On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 06:02:58PM -0800, Kirill Gavrylyuk wrote:
              > Hi, all!
              > Bob is right, it is all again about rules of Section 5 and different
              > use of schema in case of literal and encoded modes of WSDL. Schema in
              > WSDL was never intended to specify how the message should look like.
              > It was to describe and abstract types used in abstract message. The
              > binding rules does the work of mapping abstract message to the wire.

              While I agree completely with what you are saying (WSDL is about the
              abstract message), I do have a slightly different opinion than some
              others here on a semantic quible.

              To me SOAP 5 says "here is how to turn a data structure into a wire
              representation". WSDL says "here is the contract for semantic data
              structures to be sent". So the WSDL defines methods, argument lsits,
              structures, and arrays and SOAP-5 defines how to turn them into a SOAP
              packet.

              My claim is that a WSDL file defines restrictions on what is valid to
              send. That is, "for method X you should send this abstract data
              structure - anything else is not correct". The issue then is how much
              power should there be in specifying the abstract data structure.

              The point I was trying to make in my previous mail is that I feel that a
              WSDL file should be able to specify whether elements in an array can be
              nil or not. (Similarly for parameters.) SOAP-5 can encode nils, but I
              think its useful for a WSDL file to be able to say "array elements
              cannot be nil" if that is what the WSDL writer wants to do. This is
              *not* contradictory to SOAP-5. SOAP-5 says "if there is a nil, here is
              how to encode it". The WSDL file says "the abstract data structure is
              not correct if the array contains nil values".

              Its all quite confusing though with XML schema being used for related
              but different purposes at both the WSDL and SOAP levels.

              Bringing it back in line with the purpose of this list, with the current
              WSDL file for interop testing it is not clear to me whether nils in
              arrays are valid or not. I don't think its good though to say "WSDL
              (abstract) array types always contain nils because SOAP-5 can always
              support that". It should be more "WSDL arrays can always contain nils
              because that is the way WSDL is defined."

              I agree with the idea behinds Santa's list - it seems something
              relatively simple is a lot more complex than it needs to be with many
              more options than needed.

              Alan

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • Tomas Bahnik
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 7, 2002
                I received xsd.double in group B echoStructAsSimpleTypes ( see part of
                response below ) from your endpoint http://demo.openlinksw.com:8890/interop
                which causes ClassCastException. Your wsdl states that outpuFloat is of type
                http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema:float

                Group B fail

                <SOAP:Body>
                <cli:echoStructAsSimpleTypesResponse xmlns:cli='http://soapinterop.org/'>
                <outputString xsi:type="xsd:string" dt:dt="string">wasp for
                java</outputString>
                <outputInteger xsi:type="xsd:int" dt:dt="int">5</outputInteger>

                <outputFloat xsi:type="xsd:double" dt:dt="double">1.234000</outputFloat>

                </cli:echoStructAsSimpleTypesResponse>
                </SOAP:Body>
                </SOAP:Envelope>

                Base is clean except for some precision loss in echoDecimal

                Tomas Bahnik
                Systinet
              • Kingsley Idehen
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 7, 2002
                  Thomas,

                  We will take a look.

                  Kingsley

                • Daniel Kulp
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 7, 2002
                    On Friday 04 January 2002 04:24, CHEN,SHIH-CHANG (HP-NewJersey,ex2) wrote:
                    > All the wsdl bugs you reported should have been fixed on
                    > http://soap.bluestone.com/hpws/soap/EchoService.wsdl

                    I've updated the XMLBus client results page at:
                    http://interop.xmlbus.com:7002/results/index.html
                    to include the HP Soap results.

                    The array tests are all failing cause the namespaces in the result
                    messages are defined wrong. Note the SOAP-ENC namespace definition
                    inside the "return" element. With that namespace definition there, the
                    xsi:type is wrong and the SOAP-ENC:arrayType attribute is then an invalid
                    attribute. (The "SOAP-ENC" prefix is pointing to the "xsi" namespace) I
                    believe if the second SOAP-ENC namespace definition is removed (it is
                    defined correctly in the parent element) then the tests should pass.

                    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
                    <SOAP-ENV:Envelope
                    <SOAP-ENV:Body>
                    <m1:echoIntegerArrayResponse
                    xmlns:m1="http://soapinterop.org/"
                    xmlns:s0="http://soapinterop.org/xsd"
                    <return SOAP-ENC:arrayType="xsd:int[5]"
                    xmlns:SOAP-ENC="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
                    xsi:type="SOAP-ENC:Array">
                    <item xsi:type="xsd:int">3836377</item>
                    <item xsi:type="xsd:int">1250845</item>
                    <item xsi:type="xsd:int">-4678540</item>
                    <item xsi:type="xsd:int">2271716</item>
                    <item xsi:type="xsd:int">-773413</item>
                    </return>
                    </m1:echoIntegerArrayResponse>
                    </SOAP-ENV:Body>
                    </SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

                    Enjoy!

                    --
                    J. Daniel Kulp
                    Principal Engineer
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 9, 2002
                      Tomas,

                      We have updated our interop endpoints at:
                      http://demo.openlinksw.com:8890/Interop/services.wsdl
                      And
                      http://demo.openlinksw.com:8890/interop/services.wsdl

                      The problems raised in your mail below have been addressed.

                      Regards,

                      Kingsley Idehen
                      OpenLink Software
                      http://www.openlinksw.com/virtuoso/whatis.htm

                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 9, 2002
                        > Tomas,
                        >
                        > We have updated our interop endpoints at:
                        > http://demo.openlinksw.com:8890/Interop/services.wsdl
                        > And
                        > http://demo.openlinksw.com:8890/interop/services.wsdl
                        >
                        > The problems raised in your mail below have been addressed.

                        The response is correct, the only problem is in your wsdl

                        <message name="echoStructAsSimpleTypesResponse">
                        <part name="outputString" type="xsd:string" />
                        <part name="outputInteger" type="xsd:int" />
                        <part name="outputFloat" type="xsd:float" />
                        <part name="CallReturn" type="xsd:string" />
                        ^^^^^^^^
                        </message>

                        and since your response is

                        <SOAP:Body>
                        <cli:echoStructAsSimpleTypesResponse xmlns:cli='http://soapinterop.org/'>
                        <outputString xsi:type="xsd:string" dt:dt="string">wasp for
                        java</outputString>
                        <outputInteger xsi:type="xsd:int" dt:dt="int">5</outputInteger>
                        <outputFloat xsi:type='xsd:float'>1.234</outputFloat>
                        </cli:echoStructAsSimpleTypesResponse>
                        </SOAP:Body>

                        we get null for outputString. Just remove CallReturn part (as in the
                        standard wsdl.)

                        *********END OF RESPONSE ***********

                        Tomas Bahnik

                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 9, 2002