Re: [soapbuilders] HP endpoint WSDL

    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
      > Rosimildo: IMHO, your test is *valid*. It looks one more "hole" in this
      > non-sense array rules of the SOAP spec. Look for example,
      > eSoap: It maps array of integers to "std::vector< int >".

      > What should I do ?

      Raise a fault, obviously, since the application/schema does not specify
      default values.
      Encryption)
      http://www.zolera.com
    • Alan Kent
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
        On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 06:13:50PM -0600, Rosimildo da Silva wrote:
        > Rosimildo: IMHO, your test is *valid*. It looks one more "hole" in this
        > non-sense array rules of the SOAP spec.

        I think it also relates a bit to the WSDL file. I say this because the
        decision to allow nil's or not may be an application level decision.
        SOAP can encode them, but for interop testing, do we want them or not?
        The WSDL file is the contract at this application level.

        Hmmmmm. It looks like I am no longer using the standard WSDL file (it
        must have changed sometime) for arrays. The WSDL file at
        http://www.whitemesa.com/interop/InteropTest.wsdl says

        <complexType name="ArrayOfint">
        <complexContent>
        <restriction base="SOAP-ENC:Array">
        <attribute ref="SOAP-ENC:arrayType" wsdl:arrayType="int[]"/>
        </restriction>
        </complexContent>
        </complexType>

        The file I am using says

        <complexType name="ArrayOfint">
        <complexContent>
        <restriction base="SOAP-ENC:Array">
        <sequence>
        <element name="item" type="int" minOccurs="0"
        maxOccurs="unbounded" nillable="true"/>
        </sequence>
        <attributeGroup ref="SOAP-ENC:commonAttributes"/>
        <attribute ref="SOAP-ENC:offset"/>
        <attribute ref="SOAP-ENC:arrayType" wsdl:arrayType="int[]"/>
        </restriction>
        </complexContent>
        </complexType>

        So my (probably incorrect) WSDL file explicitly says nil is ok and what
        the element name should be. The WSDL file at whitemesa makes no comments
        on nils or the element name. I vaguely remember all the to-ing and fro-ing
        here. My memory was that this was all waiting for

        (1) How was SOAP going to finally do arrays

        (2) How WSDL was going to finally settle on specifying arrays after (1)
        (That is, at least the recommended way to write a WSDL file to
        do arrays - there might be more than one valid way of doing it
        in XML schema)

        I think its worth a WSDL file being able to say whether the contents of
        an array are nillable or not. It helps toolkits bind to the most
        appropriate programming language type. I think my toolkit currently
        uses the element name when forming packets, but ignores the element
        name when decoding packets.

        Alan
      • Kingsley Idehen
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
          Alan,

          Great.

          Kingsley

        • Rosimildo da Silva
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
            I am looking forward to hear what the group has to say about this, before I start making some
            re-work ( refactoring :-) ) of eSoap.

            Rosimildo.

            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
              Hello,

              Have you seen:

              http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2001/12/19/wsdlwg.html

              yet? Bullet nbr 2 (literal/encoded) is relevant to this discussion.

              RC

            • Kirill Gavrylyuk
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                Hi, all!
                Bob is right, it is all again about rules of Section 5 and different use
                of schema in case of literal and encoded modes of WSDL.
                Schema in WSDL was never intended to specify how the message should look
                like. It was to describe and abstract types used in abstract message.
                The binding rules does the work of mapping abstract message to the wire.

                Section 5 allows to have null elements in array(omit elements) and
                doesn't require elements of array to have specific name.
                WSDL just tells that parameter has a type of array - in encoded mode it
                cannot tell anything more.

                Given this reader should be able to parse any representation of array
                allowed by section 5 and should return Fault if it doesn't support some
                of its features.

                Hopefully next versions of WSDL will remove distinction between encoded
                and literal modes and SOAP 1.2 will makes array serialization rules more
                strict. But those will be next versions of WSDL and SOAP.

                Thanks.

                yet? Bullet nbr 2 (literal/encoded) is relevant to this discussion.

                RC

                > On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 06:13:50PM -0600, Rosimildo da Silva wrote:
                > > Rosimildo: IMHO, your test is *valid*. It looks one more "hole" in
                > > this non-sense array rules of the SOAP spec.
                >
                > I think it also relates a bit to the WSDL file. I say this because the

                > decision to allow nil's or not may be an application level decision.
                > SOAP can encode them, but for interop testing, do we want them or not?

                > The WSDL file is the contract at this application level.
                >
                > Hmmmmm. It looks like I am no longer using the standard WSDL file (it
                > must have changed sometime) for arrays. The WSDL file at
                > http://www.whitemesa.com/interop/InteropTest.wsdl says
                >
                > <complexType name="ArrayOfint">
                > <complexContent>
                > <restriction base="SOAP-ENC:Array">
                > <attribute ref="SOAP-ENC:arrayType" wsdl:arrayType="int[]"/>
                > </restriction>
                > </complexContent>
                > </complexType>
                >
                > The file I am using says
                >
                > <complexType name="ArrayOfint">
                > <complexContent>
                > <restriction base="SOAP-ENC:Array">
                > <sequence>
                > <element name="item" type="int" minOccurs="0"
                > maxOccurs="unbounded" nillable="true"/> </sequence>
                > <attributeGroup ref="SOAP-ENC:commonAttributes"/>
                > <attribute ref="SOAP-ENC:offset"/>
                > <attribute ref="SOAP-ENC:arrayType" wsdl:arrayType="int[]"/>
                > </restriction>
                > </complexContent>
                > </complexType>
                >
                > So my (probably incorrect) WSDL file explicitly says nil is ok and
                > what the element name should be. The WSDL file at whitemesa makes no
                > comments on nils or the element name. I vaguely remember all the
                > to-ing and fro-ing here. My memory was that this was all waiting for
                >
                > (1) How was SOAP going to finally do arrays
                >
                > (2) How WSDL was going to finally settle on specifying arrays after
                (1)
                > (That is, at least the recommended way to write a WSDL file to
                > do arrays - there might be more than one valid way of doing it
                > in XML schema)
                >
                > I think its worth a WSDL file being able to say whether the contents
                > of an array are nillable or not. It helps toolkits bind to the most
                > appropriate programming language type. I think my toolkit currently
                > uses the element name when forming packets, but ignores the element
                > name when decoding packets.
                >
                > Alan

                Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                      On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 06:02:58PM -0800, Kirill Gavrylyuk wrote:
                      > Hi, all!
                      > Bob is right, it is all again about rules of Section 5 and different use
                      > of schema in case of literal and encoded modes of WSDL.
                      > Schema in WSDL was never intended to specify how the message should look
                      > like. It was to describe and abstract types used in abstract message.
                      > The binding rules does the work of mapping abstract message to the wire.

                      While I agree completely with what you are saying (WSDL is about
                      the abstract message), I do have a slightly different opinion than
                      some others here on a semantic quible.

                      To me SOAP 5 says "here is how to turn a data structure into a wire
                      representation". WSDL says "here is the contract for semantic data
                      structures to be sent". So the WSDL defines methods, argument lsits,
                      structures, and arrays and SOAP-5 defines how to turn them into
                      a SOAP packet.

                      My claim is that a WSDL file defines restrictions on what is valid
                      to send. That is, "for method X you should send this abstract data
                      structure - anything else is not correct". The issue then is how
                      much power should there be in specifying the abstract data structure.

                      The point I was trying to make in my previous mail is that I feel that
                      a WSDL file should be able to specify whether elements in an array
                      can be nil or not. (Similarly for parameters.) SOAP-5 can encode nils,
                      but I think its useful for a WSDL file to be able to say "array elements
                      cannot be nil" if that is what the WSDL writer wants to do. This is
                      *not* contradictory to SOAP-5. SOAP-5 says "if there is a nil, here
                      is how to encode it". The WSDL file says "the abstract data structure
                      is not correct if the array contains nil values".

                      Its all quite confusing though with XML schema being used for
                      related but different purposes at both the WSDL and SOAP levels.

                      Bringing it back in line with the purpose of this list, with the
                      current WSDL file for interop testing it is not clear to me whether
                      nils in arrays are valid or not. I don't think its good though
                      to say "WSDL (abstract) array types always contain nils because
                      SOAP-5 can always support that". It should be more "WSDL arrays
                      can always contain nils because that is the way WSDL is defined."

                      I agree with the idea behinds Santa's list - it seems something relatively
                      simple is a lot more complex than it needs to be with many more options
                      than needed.

                      Alan
                    • Kirill Gavrylyuk
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                        Hi, Alan!
                        I agree with
                        "WSDL arrays can always contain nils because that is the way WSDL is
                        defined."
                        Yes we have only one way of defining Section 5 arrays recommended by
                        WSDL spec - which is used in the current interop wsdls. Any additional
                        restrictions on array declaration in schema are at least not specified
                        if not forbidden by the current binding between schema in WSDL and SOAP
                        Section 5.

                        So best interop under current WSDL spec would be achieved by following
                        what is specified there. But I agree that your points should be
                        definitely taken to the next version of WSDL spec.
                        Thank you

                        On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 06:02:58PM -0800, Kirill Gavrylyuk wrote:
                        > Hi, all!
                        > Bob is right, it is all again about rules of Section 5 and different
                        > use of schema in case of literal and encoded modes of WSDL. Schema in
                        > WSDL was never intended to specify how the message should look like.
                        > It was to describe and abstract types used in abstract message. The
                        > binding rules does the work of mapping abstract message to the wire.

                        While I agree completely with what you are saying (WSDL is about the
                        abstract message), I do have a slightly different opinion than some
                        others here on a semantic quible.

                        To me SOAP 5 says "here is how to turn a data structure into a wire
                        representation". WSDL says "here is the contract for semantic data
                        structures to be sent". So the WSDL defines methods, argument lsits,
                        structures, and arrays and SOAP-5 defines how to turn them into a SOAP
                        packet.

                        My claim is that a WSDL file defines restrictions on what is valid to
                        send. That is, "for method X you should send this abstract data
                        structure - anything else is not correct". The issue then is how much
                        power should there be in specifying the abstract data structure.

                        The point I was trying to make in my previous mail is that I feel that a
                        WSDL file should be able to specify whether elements in an array can be
                        nil or not. (Similarly for parameters.) SOAP-5 can encode nils, but I
                        think its useful for a WSDL file to be able to say "array elements
                        cannot be nil" if that is what the WSDL writer wants to do. This is
                        *not* contradictory to SOAP-5. SOAP-5 says "if there is a nil, here is
                        how to encode it". The WSDL file says "the abstract data structure is
                        not correct if the array contains nil values".

                        Its all quite confusing though with XML schema being used for related
                        but different purposes at both the WSDL and SOAP levels.

                        Bringing it back in line with the purpose of this list, with the current
                        WSDL file for interop testing it is not clear to me whether nils in
                        arrays are valid or not. I don't think its good though to say "WSDL
                        (abstract) array types always contain nils because SOAP-5 can always
                        support that". It should be more "WSDL arrays can always contain nils
                        because that is the way WSDL is defined."

                        I agree with the idea behinds Santa's list - it seems something
                        relatively simple is a lot more complex than it needs to be with many
                        more options than needed.

                        Alan

                        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                      • Tomas Bahnik
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 7, 2002
                          I received xsd.double in group B echoStructAsSimpleTypes ( see part of
                          response below ) from your endpoint http://demo.openlinksw.com:8890/interop
                          which causes ClassCastException. Your wsdl states that outpuFloat is of type
                          http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema:float

                          Group B fail

                          <SOAP:Body>
                          <cli:echoStructAsSimpleTypesResponse xmlns:cli='http://soapinterop.org/'>
                          <outputString xsi:type="xsd:string" dt:dt="string">wasp for
                          java</outputString>
                          <outputInteger xsi:type="xsd:int" dt:dt="int">5</outputInteger>

                          <outputFloat xsi:type="xsd:double" dt:dt="double">1.234000</outputFloat>

                          </cli:echoStructAsSimpleTypesResponse>
                          </SOAP:Body>
                          </SOAP:Envelope>

                          Base is clean except for some precision loss in echoDecimal

                          Tomas Bahnik
                          Systinet
                        • Kingsley Idehen
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 7, 2002
                            Thomas,

                            We will take a look.

                            Kingsley

                          • Daniel Kulp
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jan 7, 2002
                              On Friday 04 January 2002 04:24, CHEN,SHIH-CHANG (HP-NewJersey,ex2) wrote:
                              > All the wsdl bugs you reported should have been fixed on
                              > http://soap.bluestone.com/hpws/soap/EchoService.wsdl

                              I've updated the XMLBus client results page at:
                              http://interop.xmlbus.com:7002/results/index.html
                              to include the HP Soap results.

                              The array tests are all failing cause the namespaces in the result
                              messages are defined wrong. Note the SOAP-ENC namespace definition
                              inside the "return" element. With that namespace definition there, the
                              xsi:type is wrong and the SOAP-ENC:arrayType attribute is then an invalid
                              attribute. (The "SOAP-ENC" prefix is pointing to the "xsi" namespace) I
                              believe if the second SOAP-ENC namespace definition is removed (it is
                              defined correctly in the parent element) then the tests should pass.

                              <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
                              <SOAP-ENV:Envelope
                              <SOAP-ENV:Body>
                              <m1:echoIntegerArrayResponse
                              xmlns:m1="http://soapinterop.org/"
                              xmlns:s0="http://soapinterop.org/xsd"
                              <return SOAP-ENC:arrayType="xsd:int[5]"
                              xmlns:SOAP-ENC="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
                              xsi:type="SOAP-ENC:Array">
                              <item xsi:type="xsd:int">3836377</item>
                              <item xsi:type="xsd:int">1250845</item>
                              <item xsi:type="xsd:int">-4678540</item>
                              <item xsi:type="xsd:int">2271716</item>
                              <item xsi:type="xsd:int">-773413</item>
                              </return>
                              </m1:echoIntegerArrayResponse>
                              </SOAP-ENV:Body>
                              </SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

                              Enjoy!

                              --
                              J. Daniel Kulp
                              Principal Engineer
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jan 9, 2002
                                Tomas,

                                We have updated our interop endpoints at:
                                http://demo.openlinksw.com:8890/Interop/services.wsdl
                                And
                                http://demo.openlinksw.com:8890/interop/services.wsdl

                                The problems raised in your mail below have been addressed.

                                Regards,

                                Kingsley Idehen
                                OpenLink Software
                                http://www.openlinksw.com/virtuoso/whatis.htm

                                Message 15 of 25 , Jan 9, 2002
                                  > Tomas,
                                  >
                                  > We have updated our interop endpoints at:
                                  > http://demo.openlinksw.com:8890/Interop/services.wsdl
                                  > And
                                  > http://demo.openlinksw.com:8890/interop/services.wsdl
                                  >
                                  > The problems raised in your mail below have been addressed.

                                  The response is correct, the only problem is in your wsdl

                                  <message name="echoStructAsSimpleTypesResponse">
                                  <part name="outputString" type="xsd:string" />
                                  <part name="outputInteger" type="xsd:int" />
                                  <part name="outputFloat" type="xsd:float" />
                                  <part name="CallReturn" type="xsd:string" />
                                  ^^^^^^^^
                                  </message>

                                  and since your response is

                                  <SOAP:Body>
                                  <cli:echoStructAsSimpleTypesResponse xmlns:cli='http://soapinterop.org/'>
                                  <outputString xsi:type="xsd:string" dt:dt="string">wasp for
                                  java</outputString>
                                  <outputInteger xsi:type="xsd:int" dt:dt="int">5</outputInteger>
                                  <outputFloat xsi:type='xsd:float'>1.234</outputFloat>
                                  </cli:echoStructAsSimpleTypesResponse>
                                  </SOAP:Body>

                                  we get null for outputString. Just remove CallReturn part (as in the
                                  standard wsdl.)

                                  *********END OF RESPONSE ***********

                                  Tomas Bahnik

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jan 9, 2002