Re: [soapbuilders] HP endpoint WSDL

  • Rosimildo da Silva
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
      From: Alan Kent
      To: soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, January 06, 2002 4:57 PM
      Subject: Re: [soapbuilders] HP endpoint WSDL

      I have put SIM results up at

      http://www.mds.rmit.edu.au/~ajk/soap/interop-results.htm

      CR's are mangled (common problem).

      Rosimildo: I am going to fix this for eSoap.

      echoIntegerArray with nulls failed (might be an invalid test so can ignore).

      Rosimildo: IMHO, your test is *valid*. It looks one more "hole" in this
      non-sense array rules of the SOAP spec. Look for example,
      eSoap: It maps array of integers to "std::vector< int >".
      It should be *illegal* by the spec to send "nil" for builtin types
      ( int, long, byte, float, long, string, etc ).

      If you send: [1,2, nil, 4, nil ]

      Choices:

      a) pick a default value for ints, let say zero --> [1,2,0,4,0]

      b) "filter" the "nils" --> [1,2,4]

      c) Raise a Fault.

      What should I do ?

      Rosimildo.

      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
        > Rosimildo: IMHO, your test is *valid*. It looks one more "hole" in this
        > non-sense array rules of the SOAP spec. Look for example,
        > eSoap: It maps array of integers to "std::vector< int >".

        > What should I do ?

        Raise a fault, obviously, since the application/schema does not specify
        default values.
        Encryption)
        http://www.zolera.com
      • Alan Kent
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
          On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 06:13:50PM -0600, Rosimildo da Silva wrote:
          > Rosimildo: IMHO, your test is *valid*. It looks one more "hole" in this
          > non-sense array rules of the SOAP spec.

          I think it also relates a bit to the WSDL file. I say this because the
          decision to allow nil's or not may be an application level decision.
          SOAP can encode them, but for interop testing, do we want them or not?
          The WSDL file is the contract at this application level.

          Hmmmmm. It looks like I am no longer using the standard WSDL file (it
          must have changed sometime) for arrays. The WSDL file at
          http://www.whitemesa.com/interop/InteropTest.wsdl says

          <complexType name="ArrayOfint">
          <complexContent>
          <restriction base="SOAP-ENC:Array">
          <attribute ref="SOAP-ENC:arrayType" wsdl:arrayType="int[]"/>
          </restriction>
          </complexContent>
          </complexType>

          The file I am using says

          <complexType name="ArrayOfint">
          <complexContent>
          <restriction base="SOAP-ENC:Array">
          <sequence>
          <element name="item" type="int" minOccurs="0"
          maxOccurs="unbounded" nillable="true"/>
          </sequence>
          <attributeGroup ref="SOAP-ENC:commonAttributes"/>
          <attribute ref="SOAP-ENC:offset"/>
          <attribute ref="SOAP-ENC:arrayType" wsdl:arrayType="int[]"/>
          </restriction>
          </complexContent>
          </complexType>

          So my (probably incorrect) WSDL file explicitly says nil is ok and what
          the element name should be. The WSDL file at whitemesa makes no comments
          on nils or the element name. I vaguely remember all the to-ing and fro-ing
          here. My memory was that this was all waiting for

          (1) How was SOAP going to finally do arrays

          (2) How WSDL was going to finally settle on specifying arrays after (1)
          (That is, at least the recommended way to write a WSDL file to
          do arrays - there might be more than one valid way of doing it
          in XML schema)

          I think its worth a WSDL file being able to say whether the contents of
          an array are nillable or not. It helps toolkits bind to the most
          appropriate programming language type. I think my toolkit currently
          uses the element name when forming packets, but ignores the element
          name when decoding packets.

          Alan
        • Kingsley Idehen
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
            Alan,

            Great.

            Kingsley

          • Rosimildo da Silva
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
              I am looking forward to hear what the group has to say about this, before I start making some
              re-work ( refactoring :-) ) of eSoap.

              Rosimildo.

              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                Hello,

                Have you seen:

                http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2001/12/19/wsdlwg.html

                yet? Bullet nbr 2 (literal/encoded) is relevant to this discussion.

                RC

              • Kirill Gavrylyuk
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                  Hi, all!
                  Bob is right, it is all again about rules of Section 5 and different use
                  of schema in case of literal and encoded modes of WSDL.
                  Schema in WSDL was never intended to specify how the message should look
                  like. It was to describe and abstract types used in abstract message.
                  The binding rules does the work of mapping abstract message to the wire.

                  Section 5 allows to have null elements in array(omit elements) and
                  doesn't require elements of array to have specific name.
                  WSDL just tells that parameter has a type of array - in encoded mode it
                  cannot tell anything more.

                  Given this reader should be able to parse any representation of array
                  allowed by section 5 and should return Fault if it doesn't support some
                  of its features.

                  Hopefully next versions of WSDL will remove distinction between encoded
                  and literal modes and SOAP 1.2 will makes array serialization rules more
                  strict. But those will be next versions of WSDL and SOAP.

                  Thanks.

                  yet? Bullet nbr 2 (literal/encoded) is relevant to this discussion.

                  RC

                  > On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 06:13:50PM -0600, Rosimildo da Silva wrote:
                  > > Rosimildo: IMHO, your test is *valid*. It looks one more "hole" in
                  > > this non-sense array rules of the SOAP spec.
                  >
                  > I think it also relates a bit to the WSDL file. I say this because the

                  > decision to allow nil's or not may be an application level decision.
                  > SOAP can encode them, but for interop testing, do we want them or not?

                  > The WSDL file is the contract at this application level.
                  >
                  > Hmmmmm. It looks like I am no longer using the standard WSDL file (it
                  > must have changed sometime) for arrays. The WSDL file at
                  > http://www.whitemesa.com/interop/InteropTest.wsdl says
                  >
                  > <complexType name="ArrayOfint">
                  > <complexContent>
                  > <restriction base="SOAP-ENC:Array">
                  > <attribute ref="SOAP-ENC:arrayType" wsdl:arrayType="int[]"/>
                  > </restriction>
                  > </complexContent>
                  > </complexType>
                  >
                  > The file I am using says
                  >
                  > <complexType name="ArrayOfint">
                  > <complexContent>
                  > <restriction base="SOAP-ENC:Array">
                  > <sequence>
                  > <element name="item" type="int" minOccurs="0"
                  > maxOccurs="unbounded" nillable="true"/> </sequence>
                  > <attributeGroup ref="SOAP-ENC:commonAttributes"/>
                  > <attribute ref="SOAP-ENC:offset"/>
                  > <attribute ref="SOAP-ENC:arrayType" wsdl:arrayType="int[]"/>
                  > </restriction>
                  > </complexContent>
                  > </complexType>
                  >
                  > So my (probably incorrect) WSDL file explicitly says nil is ok and
                  > what the element name should be. The WSDL file at whitemesa makes no
                  > comments on nils or the element name. I vaguely remember all the
                  > to-ing and fro-ing here. My memory was that this was all waiting for
                  >
                  > (1) How was SOAP going to finally do arrays
                  >
                  > (2) How WSDL was going to finally settle on specifying arrays after
                  (1)
                  > (That is, at least the recommended way to write a WSDL file to
                  > do arrays - there might be more than one valid way of doing it
                  > in XML schema)
                  >
                  > I think its worth a WSDL file being able to say whether the contents
                  > of an array are nillable or not. It helps toolkits bind to the most
                  > appropriate programming language type. I think my toolkit currently
                  > uses the element name when forming packets, but ignores the element
                  > name when decoding packets.
                  >
                  > Alan

                  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                        On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 06:02:58PM -0800, Kirill Gavrylyuk wrote:
                        > Hi, all!
                        > Bob is right, it is all again about rules of Section 5 and different use
                        > of schema in case of literal and encoded modes of WSDL.
                        > Schema in WSDL was never intended to specify how the message should look
                        > like. It was to describe and abstract types used in abstract message.
                        > The binding rules does the work of mapping abstract message to the wire.

                        While I agree completely with what you are saying (WSDL is about
                        the abstract message), I do have a slightly different opinion than
                        some others here on a semantic quible.

                        To me SOAP 5 says "here is how to turn a data structure into a wire
                        representation". WSDL says "here is the contract for semantic data
                        structures to be sent". So the WSDL defines methods, argument lsits,
                        structures, and arrays and SOAP-5 defines how to turn them into
                        a SOAP packet.

                        My claim is that a WSDL file defines restrictions on what is valid
                        to send. That is, "for method X you should send this abstract data
                        structure - anything else is not correct". The issue then is how
                        much power should there be in specifying the abstract data structure.

                        The point I was trying to make in my previous mail is that I feel that
                        a WSDL file should be able to specify whether elements in an array
                        can be nil or not. (Similarly for parameters.) SOAP-5 can encode nils,
                        but I think its useful for a WSDL file to be able to say "array elements
                        cannot be nil" if that is what the WSDL writer wants to do. This is
                        *not* contradictory to SOAP-5. SOAP-5 says "if there is a nil, here
                        is how to encode it". The WSDL file says "the abstract data structure
                        is not correct if the array contains nil values".

                        Its all quite confusing though with XML schema being used for
                        related but different purposes at both the WSDL and SOAP levels.

                        Bringing it back in line with the purpose of this list, with the
                        current WSDL file for interop testing it is not clear to me whether
                        nils in arrays are valid or not. I don't think its good though
                        to say "WSDL (abstract) array types always contain nils because
                        SOAP-5 can always support that". It should be more "WSDL arrays
                        can always contain nils because that is the way WSDL is defined."

                        I agree with the idea behinds Santa's list - it seems something relatively
                        simple is a lot more complex than it needs to be with many more options
                        than needed.

                        Alan
                      • Kirill Gavrylyuk
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                          Hi, Alan!
                          I agree with
                          "WSDL arrays can always contain nils because that is the way WSDL is
                          defined."
                          Yes we have only one way of defining Section 5 arrays recommended by
                          WSDL spec - which is used in the current interop wsdls. Any additional
                          restrictions on array declaration in schema are at least not specified
                          if not forbidden by the current binding between schema in WSDL and SOAP
                          Section 5.

                          So best interop under current WSDL spec would be achieved by following
                          what is specified there. But I agree that your points should be
                          definitely taken to the next version of WSDL spec.
                          Thank you

                          On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 06:02:58PM -0800, Kirill Gavrylyuk wrote:
                          > Hi, all!
                          > Bob is right, it is all again about rules of Section 5 and different
                          > use of schema in case of literal and encoded modes of WSDL. Schema in
                          > WSDL was never intended to specify how the message should look like.
                          > It was to describe and abstract types used in abstract message. The
                          > binding rules does the work of mapping abstract message to the wire.

                          While I agree completely with what you are saying (WSDL is about the
                          abstract message), I do have a slightly different opinion than some
                          others here on a semantic quible.

                          To me SOAP 5 says "here is how to turn a data structure into a wire
                          representation". WSDL says "here is the contract for semantic data
                          structures to be sent". So the WSDL defines methods, argument lsits,
                          structures, and arrays and SOAP-5 defines how to turn them into a SOAP
                          packet.

                          My claim is that a WSDL file defines restrictions on what is valid to
                          send. That is, "for method X you should send this abstract data
                          structure - anything else is not correct". The issue then is how much
                          power should there be in specifying the abstract data structure.

                          The point I was trying to make in my previous mail is that I feel that a
                          WSDL file should be able to specify whether elements in an array can be
                          nil or not. (Similarly for parameters.) SOAP-5 can encode nils, but I
                          think its useful for a WSDL file to be able to say "array elements
                          cannot be nil" if that is what the WSDL writer wants to do. This is
                          *not* contradictory to SOAP-5. SOAP-5 says "if there is a nil, here is
                          how to encode it". The WSDL file says "the abstract data structure is
                          not correct if the array contains nil values".

                          Its all quite confusing though with XML schema being used for related
                          but different purposes at both the WSDL and SOAP levels.

                          Bringing it back in line with the purpose of this list, with the current
                          WSDL file for interop testing it is not clear to me whether nils in
                          arrays are valid or not. I don't think its good though to say "WSDL
                          (abstract) array types always contain nils because SOAP-5 can always
                          support that". It should be more "WSDL arrays can always contain nils
                          because that is the way WSDL is defined."

                          I agree with the idea behinds Santa's list - it seems something
                          relatively simple is a lot more complex than it needs to be with many
                          more options than needed.

                          Alan

                          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                        • Tomas Bahnik
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 7, 2002
                            I received xsd.double in group B echoStructAsSimpleTypes ( see part of
                            response below ) from your endpoint http://demo.openlinksw.com:8890/interop
                            which causes ClassCastException. Your wsdl states that outpuFloat is of type
                            http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema:float

                            Group B fail

                            <SOAP:Body>
                            <cli:echoStructAsSimpleTypesResponse xmlns:cli='http://soapinterop.org/'>
                            <outputString xsi:type="xsd:string" dt:dt="string">wasp for
                            java</outputString>
                            <outputInteger xsi:type="xsd:int" dt:dt="int">5</outputInteger>

                            <outputFloat xsi:type="xsd:double" dt:dt="double">1.234000</outputFloat>

                            </cli:echoStructAsSimpleTypesResponse>
                            </SOAP:Body>
                            </SOAP:Envelope>

                            Base is clean except for some precision loss in echoDecimal

                            Tomas Bahnik
                            Systinet
                          • Kingsley Idehen
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jan 7, 2002
                              Thomas,

                              We will take a look.

                              Kingsley

                            • Daniel Kulp
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jan 7, 2002
                                On Friday 04 January 2002 04:24, CHEN,SHIH-CHANG (HP-NewJersey,ex2) wrote:
                                > All the wsdl bugs you reported should have been fixed on
                                > http://soap.bluestone.com/hpws/soap/EchoService.wsdl

                                I've updated the XMLBus client results page at:
                                http://interop.xmlbus.com:7002/results/index.html
                                to include the HP Soap results.

                                The array tests are all failing cause the namespaces in the result
                                messages are defined wrong. Note the SOAP-ENC namespace definition
                                inside the "return" element. With that namespace definition there, the
                                xsi:type is wrong and the SOAP-ENC:arrayType attribute is then an invalid
                                attribute. (The "SOAP-ENC" prefix is pointing to the "xsi" namespace) I
                                believe if the second SOAP-ENC namespace definition is removed (it is
                                defined correctly in the parent element) then the tests should pass.

                                <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
                                <SOAP-ENV:Envelope
                                <SOAP-ENV:Body>
                                <m1:echoIntegerArrayResponse
                                xmlns:m1="http://soapinterop.org/"
                                xmlns:s0="http://soapinterop.org/xsd"
                                <return SOAP-ENC:arrayType="xsd:int[5]"
                                xmlns:SOAP-ENC="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
                                xsi:type="SOAP-ENC:Array">
                                <item xsi:type="xsd:int">3836377</item>
                                <item xsi:type="xsd:int">1250845</item>
                                <item xsi:type="xsd:int">-4678540</item>
                                <item xsi:type="xsd:int">2271716</item>
                                <item xsi:type="xsd:int">-773413</item>
                                </return>
                                </m1:echoIntegerArrayResponse>
                                </SOAP-ENV:Body>
                                </SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

                                Enjoy!

                                --
                                J. Daniel Kulp
                                Principal Engineer
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jan 9, 2002
                                  Tomas,

                                  We have updated our interop endpoints at:
                                  http://demo.openlinksw.com:8890/Interop/services.wsdl
                                  And
                                  http://demo.openlinksw.com:8890/interop/services.wsdl

                                  The problems raised in your mail below have been addressed.

                                  Regards,

                                  Kingsley Idehen
                                  OpenLink Software
                                  http://www.openlinksw.com/virtuoso/whatis.htm

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jan 9, 2002
                                    > Tomas,
                                    >
                                    > We have updated our interop endpoints at:
                                    > http://demo.openlinksw.com:8890/Interop/services.wsdl
                                    > And
                                    > http://demo.openlinksw.com:8890/interop/services.wsdl
                                    >
                                    > The problems raised in your mail below have been addressed.

                                    The response is correct, the only problem is in your wsdl

                                    <message name="echoStructAsSimpleTypesResponse">
                                    <part name="outputString" type="xsd:string" />
                                    <part name="outputInteger" type="xsd:int" />
                                    <part name="outputFloat" type="xsd:float" />
                                    <part name="CallReturn" type="xsd:string" />
                                    ^^^^^^^^
                                    </message>

                                    and since your response is

                                    <SOAP:Body>
                                    <cli:echoStructAsSimpleTypesResponse xmlns:cli='http://soapinterop.org/'>
                                    <outputString xsi:type="xsd:string" dt:dt="string">wasp for
                                    java</outputString>
                                    <outputInteger xsi:type="xsd:int" dt:dt="int">5</outputInteger>
                                    <outputFloat xsi:type='xsd:float'>1.234</outputFloat>
                                    </cli:echoStructAsSimpleTypesResponse>
                                    </SOAP:Body>

                                    we get null for outputString. Just remove CallReturn part (as in the
                                    standard wsdl.)

                                    *********END OF RESPONSE ***********

                                    Tomas Bahnik

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jan 9, 2002