RE: [soapbuilders] HP endpoint WSDL

  • CHEN,SHIH-CHANG (HP-NewJersey,ex2)
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 4, 2002
      All the wsdl bugs you reported should have been fixed on
      http://soap.bluestone.com/hpws/soap/EchoService.wsdl

      chen

    • Alan Kent
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
        I have put SIM results up at

        http://www.mds.rmit.edu.au/~ajk/soap/interop-results.htm

        CR's are mangled (common problem).
        echoIntegerArray with nulls failed (might be an invalid test so can ignore).
        echoStructArray failed (worth looking at)

        echoStructAsSimpleTypes from group B also failed - or has the WSDL file
        changed and I did not notice? I am expecting outputString etc but the
        end point is returning varString etc. Otherwise looks OK.

        Alan
      • Kingsley Idehen
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
          Bob et al,

          Here is an update of our endpoint re. The CR handling issue that you
          raised last time around:
          http://demo.openlinksw.com:8890/interop/services.wsdl
          Or
          http://demo.openlinksw.com:8890/Interop/services.wsdl

          Regards,
          Kingsley Idehen
          OpenLink Software
          http://www.openlinksw.com/virtuoso/whatis.htm
        • Alan Kent
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
            On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 06:00:08PM -0500, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
            > Bob et al,
            >
            > Here is an update of our endpoint re. The CR handling issue that you
            > raised last time around:
            > http://demo.openlinksw.com:8890/interop/services.wsdl
            > Or
            > http://demo.openlinksw.com:8890/Interop/services.wsdl

            Yes, works fine now. 100% of the SIM tests pass (except for my non-standard
            echoDuration test - nudge nudge, wink wink, I will say no more... :-)

            Alan
          • Rosimildo da Silva
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                > Rosimildo: IMHO, your test is *valid*. It looks one more "hole" in this
                > non-sense array rules of the SOAP spec. Look for example,
                > eSoap: It maps array of integers to "std::vector< int >".

                > What should I do ?

                Raise a fault, obviously, since the application/schema does not specify
                default values.
                Encryption)
                http://www.zolera.com
              • Alan Kent
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                  On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 06:13:50PM -0600, Rosimildo da Silva wrote:
                  > Rosimildo: IMHO, your test is *valid*. It looks one more "hole" in this
                  > non-sense array rules of the SOAP spec.

                  I think it also relates a bit to the WSDL file. I say this because the
                  decision to allow nil's or not may be an application level decision.
                  SOAP can encode them, but for interop testing, do we want them or not?
                  The WSDL file is the contract at this application level.

                  Hmmmmm. It looks like I am no longer using the standard WSDL file (it
                  must have changed sometime) for arrays. The WSDL file at
                  http://www.whitemesa.com/interop/InteropTest.wsdl says

                  <complexType name="ArrayOfint">
                  <complexContent>
                  <restriction base="SOAP-ENC:Array">
                  <attribute ref="SOAP-ENC:arrayType" wsdl:arrayType="int[]"/>
                  </restriction>
                  </complexContent>
                  </complexType>

                  The file I am using says

                  <complexType name="ArrayOfint">
                  <complexContent>
                  <restriction base="SOAP-ENC:Array">
                  <sequence>
                  <element name="item" type="int" minOccurs="0"
                  maxOccurs="unbounded" nillable="true"/>
                  </sequence>
                  <attributeGroup ref="SOAP-ENC:commonAttributes"/>
                  <attribute ref="SOAP-ENC:offset"/>
                  <attribute ref="SOAP-ENC:arrayType" wsdl:arrayType="int[]"/>
                  </restriction>
                  </complexContent>
                  </complexType>

                  So my (probably incorrect) WSDL file explicitly says nil is ok and what
                  the element name should be. The WSDL file at whitemesa makes no comments
                  on nils or the element name. I vaguely remember all the to-ing and fro-ing
                  here. My memory was that this was all waiting for

                  (1) How was SOAP going to finally do arrays

                  (2) How WSDL was going to finally settle on specifying arrays after (1)
                  (That is, at least the recommended way to write a WSDL file to
                  do arrays - there might be more than one valid way of doing it
                  in XML schema)

                  I think its worth a WSDL file being able to say whether the contents of
                  an array are nillable or not. It helps toolkits bind to the most
                  appropriate programming language type. I think my toolkit currently
                  uses the element name when forming packets, but ignores the element
                  name when decoding packets.

                  Alan
                • Kingsley Idehen
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                    Alan,

                    Great.

                    Kingsley

                  • Rosimildo da Silva
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                      I am looking forward to hear what the group has to say about this, before I start making some
                      re-work ( refactoring :-) ) of eSoap.

                      Rosimildo.

                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                        Hello,

                        Have you seen:

                        http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2001/12/19/wsdlwg.html

                        yet? Bullet nbr 2 (literal/encoded) is relevant to this discussion.

                        RC

                      • Kirill Gavrylyuk
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                          Hi, all!
                          Bob is right, it is all again about rules of Section 5 and different use
                          of schema in case of literal and encoded modes of WSDL.
                          Schema in WSDL was never intended to specify how the message should look
                          like. It was to describe and abstract types used in abstract message.
                          The binding rules does the work of mapping abstract message to the wire.

                          Section 5 allows to have null elements in array(omit elements) and
                          doesn't require elements of array to have specific name.
                          WSDL just tells that parameter has a type of array - in encoded mode it
                          cannot tell anything more.

                          Given this reader should be able to parse any representation of array
                          allowed by section 5 and should return Fault if it doesn't support some
                          of its features.

                          Hopefully next versions of WSDL will remove distinction between encoded
                          and literal modes and SOAP 1.2 will makes array serialization rules more
                          strict. But those will be next versions of WSDL and SOAP.

                          Thanks.

                          yet? Bullet nbr 2 (literal/encoded) is relevant to this discussion.

                          RC

                          > On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 06:13:50PM -0600, Rosimildo da Silva wrote:
                          > > Rosimildo: IMHO, your test is *valid*. It looks one more "hole" in
                          > > this non-sense array rules of the SOAP spec.
                          >
                          > I think it also relates a bit to the WSDL file. I say this because the

                          > decision to allow nil's or not may be an application level decision.
                          > SOAP can encode them, but for interop testing, do we want them or not?

                          > The WSDL file is the contract at this application level.
                          >
                          > Hmmmmm. It looks like I am no longer using the standard WSDL file (it
                          > must have changed sometime) for arrays. The WSDL file at
                          > http://www.whitemesa.com/interop/InteropTest.wsdl says
                          >
                          > <complexType name="ArrayOfint">
                          > <complexContent>
                          > <restriction base="SOAP-ENC:Array">
                          > <attribute ref="SOAP-ENC:arrayType" wsdl:arrayType="int[]"/>
                          > </restriction>
                          > </complexContent>
                          > </complexType>
                          >
                          > The file I am using says
                          >
                          > <complexType name="ArrayOfint">
                          > <complexContent>
                          > <restriction base="SOAP-ENC:Array">
                          > <sequence>
                          > <element name="item" type="int" minOccurs="0"
                          > maxOccurs="unbounded" nillable="true"/> </sequence>
                          > <attributeGroup ref="SOAP-ENC:commonAttributes"/>
                          > <attribute ref="SOAP-ENC:offset"/>
                          > <attribute ref="SOAP-ENC:arrayType" wsdl:arrayType="int[]"/>
                          > </restriction>
                          > </complexContent>
                          > </complexType>
                          >
                          > So my (probably incorrect) WSDL file explicitly says nil is ok and
                          > what the element name should be. The WSDL file at whitemesa makes no
                          > comments on nils or the element name. I vaguely remember all the
                          > to-ing and fro-ing here. My memory was that this was all waiting for
                          >
                          > (1) How was SOAP going to finally do arrays
                          >
                          > (2) How WSDL was going to finally settle on specifying arrays after
                          (1)
                          > (That is, at least the recommended way to write a WSDL file to
                          > do arrays - there might be more than one valid way of doing it
                          > in XML schema)
                          >
                          > I think its worth a WSDL file being able to say whether the contents
                          > of an array are nillable or not. It helps toolkits bind to the most
                          > appropriate programming language type. I think my toolkit currently
                          > uses the element name when forming packets, but ignores the element
                          > name when decoding packets.
                          >
                          > Alan

                          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                                On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 06:02:58PM -0800, Kirill Gavrylyuk wrote:
                                > Hi, all!
                                > Bob is right, it is all again about rules of Section 5 and different use
                                > of schema in case of literal and encoded modes of WSDL.
                                > Schema in WSDL was never intended to specify how the message should look
                                > like. It was to describe and abstract types used in abstract message.
                                > The binding rules does the work of mapping abstract message to the wire.

                                While I agree completely with what you are saying (WSDL is about
                                the abstract message), I do have a slightly different opinion than
                                some others here on a semantic quible.

                                To me SOAP 5 says "here is how to turn a data structure into a wire
                                representation". WSDL says "here is the contract for semantic data
                                structures to be sent". So the WSDL defines methods, argument lsits,
                                structures, and arrays and SOAP-5 defines how to turn them into
                                a SOAP packet.

                                My claim is that a WSDL file defines restrictions on what is valid
                                to send. That is, "for method X you should send this abstract data
                                structure - anything else is not correct". The issue then is how
                                much power should there be in specifying the abstract data structure.

                                The point I was trying to make in my previous mail is that I feel that
                                a WSDL file should be able to specify whether elements in an array
                                can be nil or not. (Similarly for parameters.) SOAP-5 can encode nils,
                                but I think its useful for a WSDL file to be able to say "array elements
                                cannot be nil" if that is what the WSDL writer wants to do. This is
                                *not* contradictory to SOAP-5. SOAP-5 says "if there is a nil, here
                                is how to encode it". The WSDL file says "the abstract data structure
                                is not correct if the array contains nil values".

                                Its all quite confusing though with XML schema being used for
                                related but different purposes at both the WSDL and SOAP levels.

                                Bringing it back in line with the purpose of this list, with the
                                current WSDL file for interop testing it is not clear to me whether
                                nils in arrays are valid or not. I don't think its good though
                                to say "WSDL (abstract) array types always contain nils because
                                SOAP-5 can always support that". It should be more "WSDL arrays
                                can always contain nils because that is the way WSDL is defined."

                                I agree with the idea behinds Santa's list - it seems something relatively
                                simple is a lot more complex than it needs to be with many more options
                                than needed.

                                Alan
                              • Kirill Gavrylyuk
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                                  Hi, Alan!
                                  I agree with
                                  "WSDL arrays can always contain nils because that is the way WSDL is
                                  defined."
                                  Yes we have only one way of defining Section 5 arrays recommended by
                                  WSDL spec - which is used in the current interop wsdls. Any additional
                                  restrictions on array declaration in schema are at least not specified
                                  if not forbidden by the current binding between schema in WSDL and SOAP
                                  Section 5.

                                  So best interop under current WSDL spec would be achieved by following
                                  what is specified there. But I agree that your points should be
                                  definitely taken to the next version of WSDL spec.
                                  Thank you

                                  On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 06:02:58PM -0800, Kirill Gavrylyuk wrote:
                                  > Hi, all!
                                  > Bob is right, it is all again about rules of Section 5 and different
                                  > use of schema in case of literal and encoded modes of WSDL. Schema in
                                  > WSDL was never intended to specify how the message should look like.
                                  > It was to describe and abstract types used in abstract message. The
                                  > binding rules does the work of mapping abstract message to the wire.

                                  While I agree completely with what you are saying (WSDL is about the
                                  abstract message), I do have a slightly different opinion than some
                                  others here on a semantic quible.

                                  To me SOAP 5 says "here is how to turn a data structure into a wire
                                  representation". WSDL says "here is the contract for semantic data
                                  structures to be sent". So the WSDL defines methods, argument lsits,
                                  structures, and arrays and SOAP-5 defines how to turn them into a SOAP
                                  packet.

                                  My claim is that a WSDL file defines restrictions on what is valid to
                                  send. That is, "for method X you should send this abstract data
                                  structure - anything else is not correct". The issue then is how much
                                  power should there be in specifying the abstract data structure.

                                  The point I was trying to make in my previous mail is that I feel that a
                                  WSDL file should be able to specify whether elements in an array can be
                                  nil or not. (Similarly for parameters.) SOAP-5 can encode nils, but I
                                  think its useful for a WSDL file to be able to say "array elements
                                  cannot be nil" if that is what the WSDL writer wants to do. This is
                                  *not* contradictory to SOAP-5. SOAP-5 says "if there is a nil, here is
                                  how to encode it". The WSDL file says "the abstract data structure is
                                  not correct if the array contains nil values".

                                  Its all quite confusing though with XML schema being used for related
                                  but different purposes at both the WSDL and SOAP levels.

                                  Bringing it back in line with the purpose of this list, with the current
                                  WSDL file for interop testing it is not clear to me whether nils in
                                  arrays are valid or not. I don't think its good though to say "WSDL
                                  (abstract) array types always contain nils because SOAP-5 can always
                                  support that". It should be more "WSDL arrays can always contain nils
                                  because that is the way WSDL is defined."

                                  I agree with the idea behinds Santa's list - it seems something
                                  relatively simple is a lot more complex than it needs to be with many
                                  more options than needed.

                                  Alan

                                  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                                • Tomas Bahnik
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jan 7, 2002
                                    I received xsd.double in group B echoStructAsSimpleTypes ( see part of
                                    response below ) from your endpoint http://demo.openlinksw.com:8890/interop
                                    which causes ClassCastException. Your wsdl states that outpuFloat is of type
                                    http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema:float

                                    Group B fail

                                    <SOAP:Body>
                                    <cli:echoStructAsSimpleTypesResponse xmlns:cli='http://soapinterop.org/'>
                                    <outputString xsi:type="xsd:string" dt:dt="string">wasp for
                                    java</outputString>
                                    <outputInteger xsi:type="xsd:int" dt:dt="int">5</outputInteger>

                                    <outputFloat xsi:type="xsd:double" dt:dt="double">1.234000</outputFloat>

                                    </cli:echoStructAsSimpleTypesResponse>
                                    </SOAP:Body>
                                    </SOAP:Envelope>

                                    Base is clean except for some precision loss in echoDecimal

                                    Tomas Bahnik
                                    Systinet
                                  • Kingsley Idehen
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jan 7, 2002
                                      Thomas,

                                      We will take a look.

                                      Kingsley

                                    • Daniel Kulp
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jan 7, 2002
                                        On Friday 04 January 2002 04:24, CHEN,SHIH-CHANG (HP-NewJersey,ex2) wrote:
                                        > All the wsdl bugs you reported should have been fixed on
                                        > http://soap.bluestone.com/hpws/soap/EchoService.wsdl

                                        I've updated the XMLBus client results page at:
                                        http://interop.xmlbus.com:7002/results/index.html
                                        to include the HP Soap results.

                                        The array tests are all failing cause the namespaces in the result
                                        messages are defined wrong. Note the SOAP-ENC namespace definition
                                        inside the "return" element. With that namespace definition there, the
                                        xsi:type is wrong and the SOAP-ENC:arrayType attribute is then an invalid
                                        attribute. (The "SOAP-ENC" prefix is pointing to the "xsi" namespace) I
                                        believe if the second SOAP-ENC namespace definition is removed (it is
                                        defined correctly in the parent element) then the tests should pass.

                                        <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
                                        <SOAP-ENV:Envelope
                                        <SOAP-ENV:Body>
                                        <m1:echoIntegerArrayResponse
                                        xmlns:m1="http://soapinterop.org/"
                                        xmlns:s0="http://soapinterop.org/xsd"
                                        <return SOAP-ENC:arrayType="xsd:int[5]"
                                        xmlns:SOAP-ENC="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
                                        xsi:type="SOAP-ENC:Array">
                                        <item xsi:type="xsd:int">3836377</item>
                                        <item xsi:type="xsd:int">1250845</item>
                                        <item xsi:type="xsd:int">-4678540</item>
                                        <item xsi:type="xsd:int">2271716</item>
                                        <item xsi:type="xsd:int">-773413</item>
                                        </return>
                                        </m1:echoIntegerArrayResponse>
                                        </SOAP-ENV:Body>
                                        </SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

                                        Enjoy!

                                        --
                                        J. Daniel Kulp
                                        Principal Engineer
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jan 9, 2002
                                          Tomas,

                                          We have updated our interop endpoints at:
                                          http://demo.openlinksw.com:8890/Interop/services.wsdl
                                          And
                                          http://demo.openlinksw.com:8890/interop/services.wsdl

                                          The problems raised in your mail below have been addressed.

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jan 9, 2002
                                            > Tomas,
                                            >
                                            > We have updated our interop endpoints at:
                                            > http://demo.openlinksw.com:8890/Interop/services.wsdl
                                            > And
                                            > http://demo.openlinksw.com:8890/interop/services.wsdl
                                            >
                                            > The problems raised in your mail below have been addressed.

                                            The response is correct, the only problem is in your wsdl

                                            <message name="echoStructAsSimpleTypesResponse">
                                            <part name="outputString" type="xsd:string" />
                                            <part name="outputInteger" type="xsd:int" />
                                            <part name="outputFloat" type="xsd:float" />
                                            <part name="CallReturn" type="xsd:string" />
                                            ^^^^^^^^
                                            </message>

                                            and since your response is

                                            <SOAP:Body>
                                            <cli:echoStructAsSimpleTypesResponse xmlns:cli='http://soapinterop.org/'>
                                            <outputString xsi:type="xsd:string" dt:dt="string">wasp for
                                            java</outputString>
                                            <outputInteger xsi:type="xsd:int" dt:dt="int">5</outputInteger>
                                            <outputFloat xsi:type='xsd:float'>1.234</outputFloat>
                                            </cli:echoStructAsSimpleTypesResponse>
                                            </SOAP:Body>

                                            we get null for outputString. Just remove CallReturn part (as in the
                                            standard wsdl.)

                                            *********END OF RESPONSE ***********

                                            Tomas Bahnik

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jan 9, 2002