RE: [soapbuilders] HP endpoint WSDL

  • CHEN,SHIH-CHANG (HP-NewJersey,ex2)
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 4, 2002
      Thanks for your response. I still have some question about the bugs you
      reported:

      I found lots of wsdl using the former one http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/,
      and http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema does not satify some. (XML spy)

      > -- many wsdl:part elements had name "arg1", had to be changed
      > to proper accessor name, e.g. "inputString".

      Is this required ? Should parameter name be flexible ?

      thanks,

      ShihChang
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 4, 2002

        > Thanks for your response. I still have some question about the bugs you
        > reported:
        >
        > > -- the default namespace is declared as
        > > http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/, this had to be changed to
        > > http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema so that the schema elements
        > > were in the right namespace.
        >
        > I found lots of wsdl using the former one http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/,
        > and http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema does not satify some. (XML spy)

        The issue is whether or not the default namespace value in scope
        is correct whenever it is applied. In this case the default
        namespace was set as "http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/", but
        when element<schema> is encountered with unprefixed localname,
        application of that default namespace placed "schema" into the
        wrong namespace. It would have been sufficient to add the default
        namespace declaration to the <schema> element as follows:

        <schema xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema ...>

        It happened to be the case that simply changing the default
        namespace decl in the <definitions> tag did the trick, since only
        the schema elements were unprefixed, all of the wsdl elements
        were already prefixed.

        > > -- many wsdl:part elements had name "arg1", had to be changed
        > > to proper accessor name, e.g. "inputString".
        >
        > Is this required ? Should parameter name be flexible ?

        No, SOAP parameter accessor names are significant [1], and are
        mapped to the names of the parameters in the RPC that the SOAP
        message represents. [2 The names are specified in the interop
        RPC method definitions at:

        http://www.whitemesa.com/interop/proposal2.html

        So the wsdl:part names in the wsdl:message elements should
        reflect this.

        RC

        [1] with the exception of the return value accessor.
        [2 http://www.w3.org/TR/SOAP/#_Toc478383533

        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 4, 2002
          All the wsdl bugs you reported should have been fixed on
          http://soap.bluestone.com/hpws/soap/EchoService.wsdl

          chen

        • Alan Kent
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
            I have put SIM results up at

            http://www.mds.rmit.edu.au/~ajk/soap/interop-results.htm

            CR's are mangled (common problem).
            echoIntegerArray with nulls failed (might be an invalid test so can ignore).
            echoStructArray failed (worth looking at)

            echoStructAsSimpleTypes from group B also failed - or has the WSDL file
            changed and I did not notice? I am expecting outputString etc but the
            end point is returning varString etc. Otherwise looks OK.

            Alan
          • Kingsley Idehen
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
              Bob et al,

              Here is an update of our endpoint re. The CR handling issue that you
              raised last time around:
              http://demo.openlinksw.com:8890/interop/services.wsdl
              Or
              http://demo.openlinksw.com:8890/Interop/services.wsdl

              Regards,
              Kingsley Idehen
              OpenLink Software
              http://www.openlinksw.com/virtuoso/whatis.htm
            • Alan Kent
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 06:00:08PM -0500, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
                > Bob et al,
                >
                > Here is an update of our endpoint re. The CR handling issue that you
                > raised last time around:
                > http://demo.openlinksw.com:8890/interop/services.wsdl
                > Or
                > http://demo.openlinksw.com:8890/Interop/services.wsdl

                Yes, works fine now. 100% of the SIM tests pass (except for my non-standard
                echoDuration test - nudge nudge, wink wink, I will say no more... :-)

                Alan
              • Rosimildo da Silva
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                    > Rosimildo: IMHO, your test is *valid*. It looks one more "hole" in this
                    > non-sense array rules of the SOAP spec. Look for example,
                    > eSoap: It maps array of integers to "std::vector< int >".

                    > What should I do ?

                    Raise a fault, obviously, since the application/schema does not specify
                    default values.
                    Encryption)
                    http://www.zolera.com
                  • Alan Kent
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                      On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 06:13:50PM -0600, Rosimildo da Silva wrote:
                      > Rosimildo: IMHO, your test is *valid*. It looks one more "hole" in this
                      > non-sense array rules of the SOAP spec.

                      I think it also relates a bit to the WSDL file. I say this because the
                      decision to allow nil's or not may be an application level decision.
                      SOAP can encode them, but for interop testing, do we want them or not?
                      The WSDL file is the contract at this application level.

                      Hmmmmm. It looks like I am no longer using the standard WSDL file (it
                      must have changed sometime) for arrays. The WSDL file at
                      http://www.whitemesa.com/interop/InteropTest.wsdl says

                      <complexType name="ArrayOfint">
                      <complexContent>
                      <restriction base="SOAP-ENC:Array">
                      <attribute ref="SOAP-ENC:arrayType" wsdl:arrayType="int[]"/>
                      </restriction>
                      </complexContent>
                      </complexType>

                      The file I am using says

                      <complexType name="ArrayOfint">
                      <complexContent>
                      <restriction base="SOAP-ENC:Array">
                      <sequence>
                      <element name="item" type="int" minOccurs="0"
                      maxOccurs="unbounded" nillable="true"/>
                      </sequence>
                      <attributeGroup ref="SOAP-ENC:commonAttributes"/>
                      <attribute ref="SOAP-ENC:offset"/>
                      <attribute ref="SOAP-ENC:arrayType" wsdl:arrayType="int[]"/>
                      </restriction>
                      </complexContent>
                      </complexType>

                      So my (probably incorrect) WSDL file explicitly says nil is ok and what
                      the element name should be. The WSDL file at whitemesa makes no comments
                      on nils or the element name. I vaguely remember all the to-ing and fro-ing
                      here. My memory was that this was all waiting for

                      (1) How was SOAP going to finally do arrays

                      (2) How WSDL was going to finally settle on specifying arrays after (1)
                      (That is, at least the recommended way to write a WSDL file to
                      do arrays - there might be more than one valid way of doing it
                      in XML schema)

                      I think its worth a WSDL file being able to say whether the contents of
                      an array are nillable or not. It helps toolkits bind to the most
                      appropriate programming language type. I think my toolkit currently
                      uses the element name when forming packets, but ignores the element
                      name when decoding packets.

                      Alan
                    • Kingsley Idehen
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                        Alan,

                        Great.

                        Kingsley

                      • Rosimildo da Silva
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                          I am looking forward to hear what the group has to say about this, before I start making some
                          re-work ( refactoring :-) ) of eSoap.

                          Rosimildo.

                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                            Hello,

                            Have you seen:

                            http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2001/12/19/wsdlwg.html

                            yet? Bullet nbr 2 (literal/encoded) is relevant to this discussion.

                            RC

                          • Kirill Gavrylyuk
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                              Hi, all!
                              Bob is right, it is all again about rules of Section 5 and different use
                              of schema in case of literal and encoded modes of WSDL.
                              Schema in WSDL was never intended to specify how the message should look
                              like. It was to describe and abstract types used in abstract message.
                              The binding rules does the work of mapping abstract message to the wire.

                              Section 5 allows to have null elements in array(omit elements) and
                              doesn't require elements of array to have specific name.
                              WSDL just tells that parameter has a type of array - in encoded mode it
                              cannot tell anything more.

                              Given this reader should be able to parse any representation of array
                              allowed by section 5 and should return Fault if it doesn't support some
                              of its features.

                              Hopefully next versions of WSDL will remove distinction between encoded
                              and literal modes and SOAP 1.2 will makes array serialization rules more
                              strict. But those will be next versions of WSDL and SOAP.

                              Thanks.

                              yet? Bullet nbr 2 (literal/encoded) is relevant to this discussion.

                              RC

                              > On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 06:13:50PM -0600, Rosimildo da Silva wrote:
                              > > Rosimildo: IMHO, your test is *valid*. It looks one more "hole" in
                              > > this non-sense array rules of the SOAP spec.
                              >
                              > I think it also relates a bit to the WSDL file. I say this because the

                              > decision to allow nil's or not may be an application level decision.
                              > SOAP can encode them, but for interop testing, do we want them or not?

                              > The WSDL file is the contract at this application level.
                              >
                              > Hmmmmm. It looks like I am no longer using the standard WSDL file (it
                              > must have changed sometime) for arrays. The WSDL file at
                              > http://www.whitemesa.com/interop/InteropTest.wsdl says
                              >
                              > <complexType name="ArrayOfint">
                              > <complexContent>
                              > <restriction base="SOAP-ENC:Array">
                              > <attribute ref="SOAP-ENC:arrayType" wsdl:arrayType="int[]"/>
                              > </restriction>
                              > </complexContent>
                              > </complexType>
                              >
                              > The file I am using says
                              >
                              > <complexType name="ArrayOfint">
                              > <complexContent>
                              > <restriction base="SOAP-ENC:Array">
                              > <sequence>
                              > <element name="item" type="int" minOccurs="0"
                              > maxOccurs="unbounded" nillable="true"/> </sequence>
                              > <attributeGroup ref="SOAP-ENC:commonAttributes"/>
                              > <attribute ref="SOAP-ENC:offset"/>
                              > <attribute ref="SOAP-ENC:arrayType" wsdl:arrayType="int[]"/>
                              > </restriction>
                              > </complexContent>
                              > </complexType>
                              >
                              > So my (probably incorrect) WSDL file explicitly says nil is ok and
                              > what the element name should be. The WSDL file at whitemesa makes no
                              > comments on nils or the element name. I vaguely remember all the
                              > to-ing and fro-ing here. My memory was that this was all waiting for
                              >
                              > (1) How was SOAP going to finally do arrays
                              >
                              > (2) How WSDL was going to finally settle on specifying arrays after
                              (1)
                              > (That is, at least the recommended way to write a WSDL file to
                              > do arrays - there might be more than one valid way of doing it
                              > in XML schema)
                              >
                              > I think its worth a WSDL file being able to say whether the contents
                              > of an array are nillable or not. It helps toolkits bind to the most
                              > appropriate programming language type. I think my toolkit currently
                              > uses the element name when forming packets, but ignores the element
                              > name when decoding packets.
                              >
                              > Alan

                              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                                    On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 06:02:58PM -0800, Kirill Gavrylyuk wrote:
                                    > Hi, all!
                                    > Bob is right, it is all again about rules of Section 5 and different use
                                    > of schema in case of literal and encoded modes of WSDL.
                                    > Schema in WSDL was never intended to specify how the message should look
                                    > like. It was to describe and abstract types used in abstract message.
                                    > The binding rules does the work of mapping abstract message to the wire.

                                    While I agree completely with what you are saying (WSDL is about
                                    the abstract message), I do have a slightly different opinion than
                                    some others here on a semantic quible.

                                    To me SOAP 5 says "here is how to turn a data structure into a wire
                                    representation". WSDL says "here is the contract for semantic data
                                    structures to be sent". So the WSDL defines methods, argument lsits,
                                    structures, and arrays and SOAP-5 defines how to turn them into
                                    a SOAP packet.

                                    My claim is that a WSDL file defines restrictions on what is valid
                                    to send. That is, "for method X you should send this abstract data
                                    structure - anything else is not correct". The issue then is how
                                    much power should there be in specifying the abstract data structure.

                                    The point I was trying to make in my previous mail is that I feel that
                                    a WSDL file should be able to specify whether elements in an array
                                    can be nil or not. (Similarly for parameters.) SOAP-5 can encode nils,
                                    but I think its useful for a WSDL file to be able to say "array elements
                                    cannot be nil" if that is what the WSDL writer wants to do. This is
                                    *not* contradictory to SOAP-5. SOAP-5 says "if there is a nil, here
                                    is how to encode it". The WSDL file says "the abstract data structure
                                    is not correct if the array contains nil values".

                                    Its all quite confusing though with XML schema being used for
                                    related but different purposes at both the WSDL and SOAP levels.

                                    Bringing it back in line with the purpose of this list, with the
                                    current WSDL file for interop testing it is not clear to me whether
                                    nils in arrays are valid or not. I don't think its good though
                                    to say "WSDL (abstract) array types always contain nils because
                                    SOAP-5 can always support that". It should be more "WSDL arrays
                                    can always contain nils because that is the way WSDL is defined."

                                    I agree with the idea behinds Santa's list - it seems something relatively
                                    simple is a lot more complex than it needs to be with many more options
                                    than needed.

                                    Alan
                                  • Kirill Gavrylyuk
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                                      Hi, Alan!
                                      I agree with
                                      "WSDL arrays can always contain nils because that is the way WSDL is
                                      defined."
                                      Yes we have only one way of defining Section 5 arrays recommended by
                                      WSDL spec - which is used in the current interop wsdls. Any additional
                                      restrictions on array declaration in schema are at least not specified
                                      if not forbidden by the current binding between schema in WSDL and SOAP
                                      Section 5.

                                      So best interop under current WSDL spec would be achieved by following
                                      what is specified there. But I agree that your points should be
                                      definitely taken to the next version of WSDL spec.
                                      Thank you

                                      On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 06:02:58PM -0800, Kirill Gavrylyuk wrote:
                                      > Hi, all!
                                      > Bob is right, it is all again about rules of Section 5 and different
                                      > use of schema in case of literal and encoded modes of WSDL. Schema in
                                      > WSDL was never intended to specify how the message should look like.
                                      > It was to describe and abstract types used in abstract message. The
                                      > binding rules does the work of mapping abstract message to the wire.

                                      While I agree completely with what you are saying (WSDL is about the
                                      abstract message), I do have a slightly different opinion than some
                                      others here on a semantic quible.

                                      To me SOAP 5 says "here is how to turn a data structure into a wire
                                      representation". WSDL says "here is the contract for semantic data
                                      structures to be sent". So the WSDL defines methods, argument lsits,
                                      structures, and arrays and SOAP-5 defines how to turn them into a SOAP
                                      packet.

                                      My claim is that a WSDL file defines restrictions on what is valid to
                                      send. That is, "for method X you should send this abstract data
                                      structure - anything else is not correct". The issue then is how much
                                      power should there be in specifying the abstract data structure.

                                      The point I was trying to make in my previous mail is that I feel that a
                                      WSDL file should be able to specify whether elements in an array can be
                                      nil or not. (Similarly for parameters.) SOAP-5 can encode nils, but I
                                      think its useful for a WSDL file to be able to say "array elements
                                      cannot be nil" if that is what the WSDL writer wants to do. This is
                                      *not* contradictory to SOAP-5. SOAP-5 says "if there is a nil, here is
                                      how to encode it". The WSDL file says "the abstract data structure is
                                      not correct if the array contains nil values".

                                      Its all quite confusing though with XML schema being used for related
                                      but different purposes at both the WSDL and SOAP levels.

                                      Bringing it back in line with the purpose of this list, with the current
                                      WSDL file for interop testing it is not clear to me whether nils in
                                      arrays are valid or not. I don't think its good though to say "WSDL
                                      (abstract) array types always contain nils because SOAP-5 can always
                                      support that". It should be more "WSDL arrays can always contain nils
                                      because that is the way WSDL is defined."

                                      I agree with the idea behinds Santa's list - it seems something
                                      relatively simple is a lot more complex than it needs to be with many
                                      more options than needed.

                                      Alan

                                      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                                    • Tomas Bahnik
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jan 7, 2002
                                        I received xsd.double in group B echoStructAsSimpleTypes ( see part of
                                        response below ) from your endpoint http://demo.openlinksw.com:8890/interop
                                        which causes ClassCastException. Your wsdl states that outpuFloat is of type
                                        http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema:float

                                        Group B fail

                                        <SOAP:Body>
                                        <cli:echoStructAsSimpleTypesResponse xmlns:cli='http://soapinterop.org/'>
                                        <outputString xsi:type="xsd:string" dt:dt="string">wasp for
                                        java</outputString>
                                        <outputInteger xsi:type="xsd:int" dt:dt="int">5</outputInteger>

                                        <outputFloat xsi:type="xsd:double" dt:dt="double">1.234000</outputFloat>

                                        </cli:echoStructAsSimpleTypesResponse>
                                        </SOAP:Body>
                                        </SOAP:Envelope>

                                        Base is clean except for some precision loss in echoDecimal

                                        Tomas Bahnik
                                        Systinet
                                      • Kingsley Idehen
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jan 7, 2002
                                          Thomas,

                                          We will take a look.

                                          Kingsley

                                        • Daniel Kulp
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jan 7, 2002
                                            On Friday 04 January 2002 04:24, CHEN,SHIH-CHANG (HP-NewJersey,ex2) wrote:
                                            > All the wsdl bugs you reported should have been fixed on
                                            > http://soap.bluestone.com/hpws/soap/EchoService.wsdl

                                            I've updated the XMLBus client results page at:
                                            http://interop.xmlbus.com:7002/results/index.html
                                            to include the HP Soap results.

                                            The array tests are all failing cause the namespaces in the result
                                            messages are defined wrong. Note the SOAP-ENC namespace definition
                                            inside the "return" element. With that namespace definition there, the
                                            xsi:type is wrong and the SOAP-ENC:arrayType attribute is then an invalid
                                            attribute. (The "SOAP-ENC" prefix is pointing to the "xsi" namespace) I
                                            believe if the second SOAP-ENC namespace definition is removed (it is
                                            defined correctly in the parent element) then the tests should pass.

                                            <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
                                            <SOAP-ENV:Envelope
                                            <SOAP-ENV:Body>
                                            <m1:echoIntegerArrayResponse
                                            xmlns:m1="http://soapinterop.org/"
                                            xmlns:s0="http://soapinterop.org/xsd"
                                            <return SOAP-ENC:arrayType="xsd:int[5]"
                                            xmlns:SOAP-ENC="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
                                            xsi:type="SOAP-ENC:Array">
                                            <item xsi:type="xsd:int">3836377</item>
                                            <item xsi:type="xsd:int">1250845</item>
                                            <item xsi:type="xsd:int">-4678540</item>
                                            <item xsi:type="xsd:int">2271716</item>
                                            <item xsi:type="xsd:int">-773413</item>
                                            </return>
                                            </m1:echoIntegerArrayResponse>
                                            </SOAP-ENV:Body>
                                            </SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

                                            Enjoy!

                                            --
                                            J. Daniel Kulp
                                            Principal Engineer
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jan 9, 2002
                                              Tomas,

                                              We have updated our interop endpoints at:
                                              http://demo.openlinksw.com:8890/Interop/services.wsdl
                                              And
                                              http://demo.openlinksw.com:8890/interop/services.wsdl

                                              The problems raised in your mail below have been addressed.

                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jan 9, 2002
                                                > Tomas,
                                                >
                                                > We have updated our interop endpoints at:
                                                > http://demo.openlinksw.com:8890/Interop/services.wsdl
                                                > And
                                                > http://demo.openlinksw.com:8890/interop/services.wsdl
                                                >
                                                > The problems raised in your mail below have been addressed.

                                                The response is correct, the only problem is in your wsdl

                                                <message name="echoStructAsSimpleTypesResponse">
                                                <part name="outputString" type="xsd:string" />
                                                <part name="outputInteger" type="xsd:int" />
                                                <part name="outputFloat" type="xsd:float" />
                                                <part name="CallReturn" type="xsd:string" />
                                                ^^^^^^^^
                                                </message>

                                                and since your response is

                                                <SOAP:Body>
                                                <cli:echoStructAsSimpleTypesResponse xmlns:cli='http://soapinterop.org/'>
                                                <outputString xsi:type="xsd:string" dt:dt="string">wasp for
                                                java</outputString>
                                                <outputInteger xsi:type="xsd:int" dt:dt="int">5</outputInteger>
                                                <outputFloat xsi:type='xsd:float'>1.234</outputFloat>
                                                </cli:echoStructAsSimpleTypesResponse>
                                                </SOAP:Body>

                                                we get null for outputString. Just remove CallReturn part (as in the
                                                standard wsdl.)

                                                *********END OF RESPONSE ***********

                                                Tomas Bahnik

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Jan 9, 2002