HP endpoint WSDL

    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 4, 2002

      Testing reveals that the new WSDL at http://soap.bluestone.com/hpws/soap/EchoService.wsdl has some bugs:

      -- namespaces http://soapinterop.org (used as the targetNamespace of wsdl:definitions) and http://soapinterop.org/xsd are confused. Prefix "s0" is used throughout. I re-mapped namespace "s0" to the former and created a new prefix "s1" for the latter and changed the prefixes in the schema.

      -- the default namespace is declared as http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/, this had to be changed to http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema so that the schema elements were in the right namespace.

      -- attribute "elementFormDefault" was set to "qualified", had to be changed to "unqualified" in xsd:schema element.

      -- operation "echoVoid" lacked wsdl:output element in portType and binding. Even though it's a void return, there is still an output message (the empty "wrapper element" in the response).

      -- many wsdl:part elements had name "arg1", had to be changed to proper accessor name, e.g. "inputString".

      -- http://tempuri.org/ given as value of "namespace" attribute in soap:body elements, changed to http://soapinterop.org/.

      -- value of soap:operation "soapAction" had extra trailing slash.

      After making all of the changes and saving to a local file, the test client liked the WSDL, but didn't like the response messages because nowhere in the message is the value of "SOAP-ENV:encodingStyle" set. The test client expects to see it set to http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/ at some point in the envelope so that it is in force for the rpc "wrapper element" in the body. I think strictly speaking this isn't necessary, (if sender and receiver both understand that encoding is used), but I wonder how many other deserializers out there depend on finding this??

      RC
    • Tomas Bahnik
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 4, 2002
        I've used adjusted wsdl file with imports of standard interop wsdl to both
        namespaces. Responses from HP endpoint
        http://soap.bluestone.com/hpws/soap/EchoService to the base interop requests
        in most cases look like

        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 4, 2002
          Thanks for your response. I still have some question about the bugs you
          reported:

          I found lots of wsdl using the former one http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/,
          and http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema does not satify some. (XML spy)

          > -- many wsdl:part elements had name "arg1", had to be changed
          > to proper accessor name, e.g. "inputString".

          Is this required ? Should parameter name be flexible ?

          thanks,

          ShihChang
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 4, 2002

            > Thanks for your response. I still have some question about the bugs you
            > reported:
            >
            > > -- the default namespace is declared as
            > > http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/, this had to be changed to
            > > http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema so that the schema elements
            > > were in the right namespace.
            >
            > I found lots of wsdl using the former one http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/,
            > and http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema does not satify some. (XML spy)

            The issue is whether or not the default namespace value in scope
            is correct whenever it is applied. In this case the default
            namespace was set as "http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/", but
            when element<schema> is encountered with unprefixed localname,
            application of that default namespace placed "schema" into the
            wrong namespace. It would have been sufficient to add the default
            namespace declaration to the <schema> element as follows:

            <schema xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema ...>

            It happened to be the case that simply changing the default
            namespace decl in the <definitions> tag did the trick, since only
            the schema elements were unprefixed, all of the wsdl elements
            were already prefixed.

            > > -- many wsdl:part elements had name "arg1", had to be changed
            > > to proper accessor name, e.g. "inputString".
            >
            > Is this required ? Should parameter name be flexible ?

            No, SOAP parameter accessor names are significant [1], and are
            mapped to the names of the parameters in the RPC that the SOAP
            message represents. [2 The names are specified in the interop
            RPC method definitions at:

            http://www.whitemesa.com/interop/proposal2.html

            So the wsdl:part names in the wsdl:message elements should
            reflect this.

            RC

            [1] with the exception of the return value accessor.
            [2 http://www.w3.org/TR/SOAP/#_Toc478383533

            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 4, 2002
              All the wsdl bugs you reported should have been fixed on
              http://soap.bluestone.com/hpws/soap/EchoService.wsdl

              chen

            • Alan Kent
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                I have put SIM results up at

                http://www.mds.rmit.edu.au/~ajk/soap/interop-results.htm

                CR's are mangled (common problem).
                echoIntegerArray with nulls failed (might be an invalid test so can ignore).
                echoStructArray failed (worth looking at)

                echoStructAsSimpleTypes from group B also failed - or has the WSDL file
                changed and I did not notice? I am expecting outputString etc but the
                end point is returning varString etc. Otherwise looks OK.

                Alan
              • Kingsley Idehen
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                  Bob et al,

                  Here is an update of our endpoint re. The CR handling issue that you
                  raised last time around:
                  http://demo.openlinksw.com:8890/interop/services.wsdl
                  Or
                  http://demo.openlinksw.com:8890/Interop/services.wsdl

                  Regards,
                  Kingsley Idehen
                  OpenLink Software
                  http://www.openlinksw.com/virtuoso/whatis.htm
                • Alan Kent
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                    On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 06:00:08PM -0500, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
                    > Bob et al,
                    >
                    > Here is an update of our endpoint re. The CR handling issue that you
                    > raised last time around:
                    > http://demo.openlinksw.com:8890/interop/services.wsdl
                    > Or
                    > http://demo.openlinksw.com:8890/Interop/services.wsdl

                    Yes, works fine now. 100% of the SIM tests pass (except for my non-standard
                    echoDuration test - nudge nudge, wink wink, I will say no more... :-)

                    Alan
                  • Rosimildo da Silva
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                        > Rosimildo: IMHO, your test is *valid*. It looks one more "hole" in this
                        > non-sense array rules of the SOAP spec. Look for example,
                        > eSoap: It maps array of integers to "std::vector< int >".

                        > What should I do ?

                        Raise a fault, obviously, since the application/schema does not specify
                        default values.
                        Encryption)
                        http://www.zolera.com
                      • Alan Kent
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                          On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 06:13:50PM -0600, Rosimildo da Silva wrote:
                          > Rosimildo: IMHO, your test is *valid*. It looks one more "hole" in this
                          > non-sense array rules of the SOAP spec.

                          I think it also relates a bit to the WSDL file. I say this because the
                          decision to allow nil's or not may be an application level decision.
                          SOAP can encode them, but for interop testing, do we want them or not?
                          The WSDL file is the contract at this application level.

                          Hmmmmm. It looks like I am no longer using the standard WSDL file (it
                          must have changed sometime) for arrays. The WSDL file at
                          http://www.whitemesa.com/interop/InteropTest.wsdl says

                          <complexType name="ArrayOfint">
                          <complexContent>
                          <restriction base="SOAP-ENC:Array">
                          <attribute ref="SOAP-ENC:arrayType" wsdl:arrayType="int[]"/>
                          </restriction>
                          </complexContent>
                          </complexType>

                          The file I am using says

                          <complexType name="ArrayOfint">
                          <complexContent>
                          <restriction base="SOAP-ENC:Array">
                          <sequence>
                          <element name="item" type="int" minOccurs="0"
                          maxOccurs="unbounded" nillable="true"/>
                          </sequence>
                          <attributeGroup ref="SOAP-ENC:commonAttributes"/>
                          <attribute ref="SOAP-ENC:offset"/>
                          <attribute ref="SOAP-ENC:arrayType" wsdl:arrayType="int[]"/>
                          </restriction>
                          </complexContent>
                          </complexType>

                          So my (probably incorrect) WSDL file explicitly says nil is ok and what
                          the element name should be. The WSDL file at whitemesa makes no comments
                          on nils or the element name. I vaguely remember all the to-ing and fro-ing
                          here. My memory was that this was all waiting for

                          (1) How was SOAP going to finally do arrays

                          (2) How WSDL was going to finally settle on specifying arrays after (1)
                          (That is, at least the recommended way to write a WSDL file to
                          do arrays - there might be more than one valid way of doing it
                          in XML schema)

                          I think its worth a WSDL file being able to say whether the contents of
                          an array are nillable or not. It helps toolkits bind to the most
                          appropriate programming language type. I think my toolkit currently
                          uses the element name when forming packets, but ignores the element
                          name when decoding packets.

                          Alan
                        • Kingsley Idehen
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                            Alan,

                            Great.

                            Kingsley

                          • Rosimildo da Silva
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                              I am looking forward to hear what the group has to say about this, before I start making some
                              re-work ( refactoring :-) ) of eSoap.

                              Rosimildo.

                              Message 14 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                                Hello,

                                Have you seen:

                                http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2001/12/19/wsdlwg.html

                                yet? Bullet nbr 2 (literal/encoded) is relevant to this discussion.

                                RC

                              • Kirill Gavrylyuk
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                                  Hi, all!
                                  Bob is right, it is all again about rules of Section 5 and different use
                                  of schema in case of literal and encoded modes of WSDL.
                                  Schema in WSDL was never intended to specify how the message should look
                                  like. It was to describe and abstract types used in abstract message.
                                  The binding rules does the work of mapping abstract message to the wire.

                                  Section 5 allows to have null elements in array(omit elements) and
                                  doesn't require elements of array to have specific name.
                                  WSDL just tells that parameter has a type of array - in encoded mode it
                                  cannot tell anything more.

                                  Given this reader should be able to parse any representation of array
                                  allowed by section 5 and should return Fault if it doesn't support some
                                  of its features.

                                  Hopefully next versions of WSDL will remove distinction between encoded
                                  and literal modes and SOAP 1.2 will makes array serialization rules more
                                  strict. But those will be next versions of WSDL and SOAP.

                                  Thanks.

                                  yet? Bullet nbr 2 (literal/encoded) is relevant to this discussion.

                                  RC

                                  > On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 06:13:50PM -0600, Rosimildo da Silva wrote:
                                  > > Rosimildo: IMHO, your test is *valid*. It looks one more "hole" in
                                  > > this non-sense array rules of the SOAP spec.
                                  >
                                  > I think it also relates a bit to the WSDL file. I say this because the

                                  > decision to allow nil's or not may be an application level decision.
                                  > SOAP can encode them, but for interop testing, do we want them or not?

                                  > The WSDL file is the contract at this application level.
                                  >
                                  > Hmmmmm. It looks like I am no longer using the standard WSDL file (it
                                  > must have changed sometime) for arrays. The WSDL file at
                                  > http://www.whitemesa.com/interop/InteropTest.wsdl says
                                  >
                                  > <complexType name="ArrayOfint">
                                  > <complexContent>
                                  > <restriction base="SOAP-ENC:Array">
                                  > <attribute ref="SOAP-ENC:arrayType" wsdl:arrayType="int[]"/>
                                  > </restriction>
                                  > </complexContent>
                                  > </complexType>
                                  >
                                  > The file I am using says
                                  >
                                  > <complexType name="ArrayOfint">
                                  > <complexContent>
                                  > <restriction base="SOAP-ENC:Array">
                                  > <sequence>
                                  > <element name="item" type="int" minOccurs="0"
                                  > maxOccurs="unbounded" nillable="true"/> </sequence>
                                  > <attributeGroup ref="SOAP-ENC:commonAttributes"/>
                                  > <attribute ref="SOAP-ENC:offset"/>
                                  > <attribute ref="SOAP-ENC:arrayType" wsdl:arrayType="int[]"/>
                                  > </restriction>
                                  > </complexContent>
                                  > </complexType>
                                  >
                                  > So my (probably incorrect) WSDL file explicitly says nil is ok and
                                  > what the element name should be. The WSDL file at whitemesa makes no
                                  > comments on nils or the element name. I vaguely remember all the
                                  > to-ing and fro-ing here. My memory was that this was all waiting for
                                  >
                                  > (1) How was SOAP going to finally do arrays
                                  >
                                  > (2) How WSDL was going to finally settle on specifying arrays after
                                  (1)
                                  > (That is, at least the recommended way to write a WSDL file to
                                  > do arrays - there might be more than one valid way of doing it
                                  > in XML schema)
                                  >
                                  > I think its worth a WSDL file being able to say whether the contents
                                  > of an array are nillable or not. It helps toolkits bind to the most
                                  > appropriate programming language type. I think my toolkit currently
                                  > uses the element name when forming packets, but ignores the element
                                  > name when decoding packets.
                                  >
                                  > Alan

                                  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                                        On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 06:02:58PM -0800, Kirill Gavrylyuk wrote:
                                        > Hi, all!
                                        > Bob is right, it is all again about rules of Section 5 and different use
                                        > of schema in case of literal and encoded modes of WSDL.
                                        > Schema in WSDL was never intended to specify how the message should look
                                        > like. It was to describe and abstract types used in abstract message.
                                        > The binding rules does the work of mapping abstract message to the wire.

                                        While I agree completely with what you are saying (WSDL is about
                                        the abstract message), I do have a slightly different opinion than
                                        some others here on a semantic quible.

                                        To me SOAP 5 says "here is how to turn a data structure into a wire
                                        representation". WSDL says "here is the contract for semantic data
                                        structures to be sent". So the WSDL defines methods, argument lsits,
                                        structures, and arrays and SOAP-5 defines how to turn them into
                                        a SOAP packet.

                                        My claim is that a WSDL file defines restrictions on what is valid
                                        to send. That is, "for method X you should send this abstract data
                                        structure - anything else is not correct". The issue then is how
                                        much power should there be in specifying the abstract data structure.

                                        The point I was trying to make in my previous mail is that I feel that
                                        a WSDL file should be able to specify whether elements in an array
                                        can be nil or not. (Similarly for parameters.) SOAP-5 can encode nils,
                                        but I think its useful for a WSDL file to be able to say "array elements
                                        cannot be nil" if that is what the WSDL writer wants to do. This is
                                        *not* contradictory to SOAP-5. SOAP-5 says "if there is a nil, here
                                        is how to encode it". The WSDL file says "the abstract data structure
                                        is not correct if the array contains nil values".

                                        Its all quite confusing though with XML schema being used for
                                        related but different purposes at both the WSDL and SOAP levels.

                                        Bringing it back in line with the purpose of this list, with the
                                        current WSDL file for interop testing it is not clear to me whether
                                        nils in arrays are valid or not. I don't think its good though
                                        to say "WSDL (abstract) array types always contain nils because
                                        SOAP-5 can always support that". It should be more "WSDL arrays
                                        can always contain nils because that is the way WSDL is defined."

                                        I agree with the idea behinds Santa's list - it seems something relatively
                                        simple is a lot more complex than it needs to be with many more options
                                        than needed.

                                        Alan
                                      • Kirill Gavrylyuk
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                                          Hi, Alan!
                                          I agree with
                                          "WSDL arrays can always contain nils because that is the way WSDL is
                                          defined."
                                          Yes we have only one way of defining Section 5 arrays recommended by
                                          WSDL spec - which is used in the current interop wsdls. Any additional
                                          restrictions on array declaration in schema are at least not specified
                                          if not forbidden by the current binding between schema in WSDL and SOAP
                                          Section 5.

                                          So best interop under current WSDL spec would be achieved by following
                                          what is specified there. But I agree that your points should be
                                          definitely taken to the next version of WSDL spec.
                                          Thank you

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jan 7, 2002
                                            I received xsd.double in group B echoStructAsSimpleTypes ( see part of
                                            response below ) from your endpoint http://demo.openlinksw.com:8890/interop
                                            which causes ClassCastException. Your wsdl states that outpuFloat is of type
                                            http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema:float

                                            Group B fail

                                            <SOAP:Body>
                                            <cli:echoStructAsSimpleTypesResponse xmlns:cli='http://soapinterop.org/'>
                                            <outputString xsi:type="xsd:string" dt:dt="string">wasp for
                                            java</outputString>
                                            <outputInteger xsi:type="xsd:int" dt:dt="int">5</outputInteger>

                                            <outputFloat xsi:type="xsd:double" dt:dt="double">1.234000</outputFloat>

                                            </cli:echoStructAsSimpleTypesResponse>
                                            </SOAP:Body>
                                            </SOAP:Envelope>

                                            Base is clean except for some precision loss in echoDecimal

                                            Tomas Bahnik
                                            Systinet
                                          • Kingsley Idehen
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jan 7, 2002
                                              Thomas,

                                              We will take a look.

                                              Kingsley

                                            • Daniel Kulp
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jan 7, 2002
                                                On Friday 04 January 2002 04:24, CHEN,SHIH-CHANG (HP-NewJersey,ex2) wrote:
                                                > All the wsdl bugs you reported should have been fixed on
                                                > http://soap.bluestone.com/hpws/soap/EchoService.wsdl

                                                I've updated the XMLBus client results page at:
                                                http://interop.xmlbus.com:7002/results/index.html
                                                to include the HP Soap results.

                                                The array tests are all failing cause the namespaces in the result
                                                messages are defined wrong. Note the SOAP-ENC namespace definition
                                                inside the "return" element. With that namespace definition there, the
                                                xsi:type is wrong and the SOAP-ENC:arrayType attribute is then an invalid
                                                attribute. (The "SOAP-ENC" prefix is pointing to the "xsi" namespace) I
                                                believe if the second SOAP-ENC namespace definition is removed (it is
                                                defined correctly in the parent element) then the tests should pass.

                                                <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
                                                <SOAP-ENV:Envelope
                                                <SOAP-ENV:Body>
                                                <m1:echoIntegerArrayResponse
                                                xmlns:m1="http://soapinterop.org/"
                                                xmlns:s0="http://soapinterop.org/xsd"
                                                <return SOAP-ENC:arrayType="xsd:int[5]"
                                                xmlns:SOAP-ENC="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
                                                xsi:type="SOAP-ENC:Array">
                                                <item xsi:type="xsd:int">3836377</item>
                                                <item xsi:type="xsd:int">1250845</item>
                                                <item xsi:type="xsd:int">-4678540</item>
                                                <item xsi:type="xsd:int">2271716</item>
                                                <item xsi:type="xsd:int">-773413</item>
                                                </return>
                                                </m1:echoIntegerArrayResponse>
                                                </SOAP-ENV:Body>
                                                </SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

                                                Enjoy!

                                                --
                                                J. Daniel Kulp
                                                Principal Engineer
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Jan 9, 2002
                                                  Tomas,

                                                  We have updated our interop endpoints at:
                                                  http://demo.openlinksw.com:8890/Interop/services.wsdl
                                                  And
                                                  http://demo.openlinksw.com:8890/interop/services.wsdl

                                                  The problems raised in your mail below have been addressed.

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Jan 9, 2002
                                                    > Tomas,
                                                    >
                                                    > We have updated our interop endpoints at:
                                                    > http://demo.openlinksw.com:8890/Interop/services.wsdl
                                                    > And
                                                    > http://demo.openlinksw.com:8890/interop/services.wsdl
                                                    >
                                                    > The problems raised in your mail below have been addressed.

                                                    The response is correct, the only problem is in your wsdl

                                                    <message name="echoStructAsSimpleTypesResponse">
                                                    <part name="outputString" type="xsd:string" />
                                                    <part name="outputInteger" type="xsd:int" />
                                                    <part name="outputFloat" type="xsd:float" />
                                                    <part name="CallReturn" type="xsd:string" />
                                                    ^^^^^^^^
                                                    </message>

                                                    and since your response is

                                                    <SOAP:Body>
                                                    <cli:echoStructAsSimpleTypesResponse xmlns:cli='http://soapinterop.org/'>
                                                    <outputString xsi:type="xsd:string" dt:dt="string">wasp for
                                                    java</outputString>
                                                    <outputInteger xsi:type="xsd:int" dt:dt="int">5</outputInteger>
                                                    <outputFloat xsi:type='xsd:float'>1.234</outputFloat>
                                                    </cli:echoStructAsSimpleTypesResponse>
                                                    </SOAP:Body>

                                                    we get null for outputString. Just remove CallReturn part (as in the
                                                    standard wsdl.)

                                                    *********END OF RESPONSE ***********

                                                    Tomas Bahnik

                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Jan 9, 2002