Re: [soapbuilders] Re: base64 encoding

  • Alan Kent
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 20, 2001
      On Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 07:20:00PM -0000, dominocal332 wrote:
      > There are a lot of us out here..looking for standardization/interop
      > for XML over SOAP.

      Yes. But I think the options are reducing if people are after
      a single *complete* solution.

      Document/literal encoding I believe is not a general answer because
      it does not support all XML constructs as others have pointed out.
      Eg: processing instructions are not permitted in SOAP. (This does
      not mean document/literal encoding is not useful, it just means
      its wont handle all XML documents.)

      So this leaves

      - string
      - base64
      - attachments

      Since attachments are not core SOAP and not everyone supports them,
      I don't think that is a good way forward. (Yet anyway)

      So you are really left with string or base64. Both I think are acceptable.
      But what it really means is that its just data to be sent. SOAP does not
      need to know that the data is XML at all. (Attachments are really the
      same decision - its a lump of data to be sent without SOAP needing to
      know its XML).

      So I think 'XML in SOAP' is really a non-issue. Its more 'text in
      SOAP (that just happens to be XML)'. So use anyway way that is
      convenient to send text. Oh, and use base64 if the encoding is
      important to preserve (eg: if you want to send and received UTF-16).

      My opinion anyway.

      Alan
    • ashish ranjan
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 23, 2001
        I am developing a client for .NET webservice. The webservice returns a
        byte[]. The soap response is given below.
        I am not getting the result. How to get the result??? steps??

        Any help will be highly appreciated.

        HTTP/1.1 200 OK
        ConOenType: text/xml; charset=utf-8

        <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
        <soap:Body>
        <readfileResponse xmlns="http://tempuri.org/">
        <readfileResult>base64Binary</readfileResult>
        </readfileResponse>
        </soap:Body>
        </soap:Envelope>

        Ashish