RE: [soapbuilders] Can SOAP do peer to peer comunications between PCs without a Web Server!

  • Jorgen Thelin
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 19, 2001
      Hi Zhang,

      Most SOAP Toolkits and Server products have facilities for listening for
      connections on a socket rather than needing a full blown web server, so yes
      P2P communication is entirely possible with SOAP.
      This is of course assuming there are no nasty firewalls in the way blocking
      access, but this is a common problem with all P2P communication schemes, and
      is not restricted to SOAP, although SOAP is of course one of the most
      "firewall friendly" communication schemes around.

      The complexity obviously comes in how to find the connection details in the
      first place - what host name and port should I use to contact you, for
      example?
      Ultimately some form of centralized or distributed "finder" service
      accessible through some "well known location(s)" would be needed in the
      general case.

      Hope this helps.

      Best Regards,

      - Jorgen

      ----
      Try Cape Clear for all your Web Services software needs.
      http://www.capeclear.com/
      CapeConnect - Enterprise-grade Web Services Runtime Platform.
      CapeStudio - Professional Web Services Development Suite.
      ----

      P.S. Your message is slightly off topic for SoapBuilders, which is intended
      for SOAP toolkit vendors to discuss interoperability issues. However, I
      can't think of another mailing list to recommend for this question at the
      moment.