Re: [soapbuilders] HTTP Error codes

  • David Crowley
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 8, 2001
      There is also a fifth situation. 400 Bad Method + error message (not
      SOAP). The only way you can be reasonably sure that a SOAP message is
      being returned is if the result code is 200. IMHO the problem here is that
      a SOAP errors should not show up as a transport error. SOAP has it's way
      of dealing with errors using SOAPFault. HTTP has it's way of dealing with
      errors with the server return codes. And the two shouldn't be
      mixed. Because when you do, you end up in the strange situation you have
      now where if you get back a 500 code, sometimes you can parse the response
      and other times you can't. So SOAP has to know about the transport and the
      transport has to know about SOAP. I'm sure there was good reasoning behind
      the spec saying that 500 should be returned. Maybe someone has some
      insight there?

      David