Where is web service going??

  • james chen
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 6, 2001
      hi all:

      I was having a discussing about web service and SOAP
      with a bunch of people and one question rise in the
      end.

      Where is web service going??

      The idea of web service sounds like "individual
      method" reuse, with the only exception it is on the
      web. If we look in the pass, history has proven that
      the chances of reusing an individual method are really
      low and most likely by the person who creates it
      only”.

      Even with all participating player such MS, SUN and
      IBM start to make their product base on SOAP for
      various reasons. The trouble is that they are building
      proprietary systems on top of SOAP, so one wonders if
      they will be interoperable in practice. For
      example, http is at the heart of web interaction, but
      developers still have to make separate considerations
      for Explorer and Netscape.

      Even all the venders make their API and xml interop,
      the question still remains who would be using those
      services. Even through the S/W vender can make their
      product base on web service / SOAP but it raises
      another concern, those functions would be very
      particular eg. Creating a spreadsheet.
      .

      Can all of you web service/ soap experts enlighten us
      ?

      Thanks
      james c

      < 每天都 Yahoo!奇摩 > www.yahoo.com.tw