Re: [soapbuilders] Must multi-ref equivalence be preserved?

  • Sam Ruby
    Message 1 of 41 , Dec 3, 2001
      Noah Mendelsohn wrote:

      > I believe that both of the examples you give are covered by the schema
      > data types spec (latest version at) [1], which is referenced normatively
      > by SOAP 1.1. Schemas is very clear that there is a distinction between
      > the lexical and the value space for a type. Although {01, and 1} are
      > different lexical representations, they represent the same value.

      That takes care of the two easy examples.

      > I agree that SOAP could be clearer that what is intended in the encoding
      > is the values. As a member of the schema WG, I can say that I've been
      > disappointed that we didn't do a better job of specifying the exact
      > mappings. Although it's clearly implied that lexical 321 has the decimal
      > value 321, I don't think we anywhere say that it's not 123 or 213 or even
      > 589.

      Perhaps you are being flip. Let's take a look at a harder example. What
      would be the "natural" mapping of "2.00" be into Java?

      Per http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/first/jsr101/ , the mapping
      would be to BigDecimal.

      Per http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#decimal , the canonical
      representation in general prohibits trailing zeros. Specifically, the
      canonical representation for "2.00" is "2.0".

      Per,
      http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/api/java/math/BigDecimal.html#equals(java.lang.Object)

      , scale is significant. Specifically, "2.00" is not equal to "2.0".

      = = = = =

      My takeaway from this discussion is that by clearly specifying that
      trailing zeros are to be ignored, the clear and natural mapping that a Java
      programmer would assume for decimals is explicitly prohibited. IMHO, that
      would be a pity.

      - Sam Ruby
    • Sam Ruby
      Message 41 of 41 , Dec 3, 2001