how many schema versions do we need?

  • Fredrik Lundh
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 30, 2001
      to make life a bit easier for non-WSDL clients, how about limiting
      the number of Schema versions used by SOAP implementations?

      from what I can tell, the ILAB servers uses the following

      http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema (as per the current 1.1 spec)
      http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema (microsoft .net)
      http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema (most recent schema)

      I can live with two versions (soap 1.1 and latest), but having to
      support every intermediate schema version is starting to get on
      my nerves...

      as far as I can tell, the .NET stack is the only one using the 2000/10
      edition. can this be fixed? my life would be so much easier ;-)

      Cheers /F
    • Larsson Jan
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 30, 2001
        > I can live with two versions (soap 1.1 and latest), but having to
        > > support every intermediate schema version is starting to get on
        > > my nerves...

        I fully agree with this. Even the part about the nerves ;=)

        I have a requirement to keep my SOAP-implementation small and friendly to
        mobile devices.

        /Jan Larsson, Softronic AB
      • Dave Winer
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 30, 2001
          Fredrik that's one of many reasons we did the BDG. I'm curious if you plan
          to work with us on that? That's a serious question -- I asked Microsoft for
          their support, I am now asking for your support. Our customers and
          shareholders have been very very patient with us while we took this
          excursion into interop-land. If you'd like to propose an alternative to BDG,
          please do, but do it soon, we want to get on with delivering results from
          this process.

          Now I'll quote Claude Bullard [1]: "Thou shalt not deploy anything that has
          not been deployed before you deploy except if said deployment shall slow the
          deployment of the fastest among you."

          Dave

          [1] http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200103/msg01013.html

        • keithba@microsoft.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 30, 2001
            I agree with you. The latest Schema draft (2001), is what we have
            moved to in .NET land.

            --- In soapbuilders@y..., "Fredrik Lundh" <fredrik@p...> wrote:
            > to make life a bit easier for non-WSDL clients, how about limiting
            > the number of Schema versions used by SOAP implementations?
            >
            > from what I can tell, the ILAB servers uses the following
            >
            > http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema (as per the current 1.1 spec)
            > http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema (microsoft .net)
            > http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema (most recent schema)
            >
            > I can live with two versions (soap 1.1 and latest), but having to
            > support every intermediate schema version is starting to get on
            > my nerves...
            >
            > as far as I can tell, the .NET stack is the only one using the
            2000/10
            > edition. can this be fixed? my life would be so much easier ;-)
            >
            > Cheers /F
          • Mike Deem
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 30, 2001
              For what it is work, MSTK2 is flexible on this. We are entirely WSDL
              driven in both the client an service. On the wire, we use the same
              schema version as is specified in the WSDL. We also distinguish between
              1999/2000 and 2001 when it comes to data type names.

              I can put up 1999 versions of our client and service if this is an
              issue.

              == Mike ==

              to make life a bit easier for non-WSDL clients, how about limiting
              the number of Schema versions used by SOAP implementations?

              from what I can tell, the ILAB servers uses the following

              http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema (as per the current 1.1 spec)
              http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema (microsoft .net)
              http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema (most recent schema)

              I can live with two versions (soap 1.1 and latest), but having to
              support every intermediate schema version is starting to get on
              my nerves...

              as far as I can tell, the .NET stack is the only one using the 2000/10
              edition. can this be fixed? my life would be so much easier ;-)

              Cheers /F

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to