RE: [soapbuilders] SoapAction field in WSDL file

  • Yann Christensen
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 16, 2001
      There has been previous discussion in the SOAP community that the client
      should respect the SOAPAction value specified by the server. I don't
      think this is explicit anywhere in the spec, but it came up during SOAP
      1.2 discussions.

      Therefore, the client should always include the "SOAPAction=X" header.
      Note that for SOAP 1.1, the SOAPAction header is always required (for
      firewall filtering reasons), just the value is optional. In SOAP 1.2 I
      think there is going to be another mechanism for saying "this is a SOAP
      message". Firewall admins will have the joy of having to maintain two
      kinds of SOAP filters.

      Note, Microsoft ASP.NET web services by default rely on the proper
      SOAPAction value for routing, this behavior can be changed to route on
      the request element in the message but it is less efficient.

      -Yann
      Microsoft ASP.NET XML Web Services