ANN: XSOAP/Java 1.2 (aka SoapRMI for Java)

  • aslom@cs.indiana.edu
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2001
      hi,

      it is our pleasure to make available a major rewriting of SoapRMI
      that adds an extensible support for multiple security providers and
      currently supports Grid Security Infrastructure (GSI) through
      Java Commodity Grid Kit (CoG) and generic SSL/TLS with JSSE/JCE.

      XSOAP is extensible toolkit both in Java and C++ (the C++ version
      has not yet been released) that provides familiar and easy to use
      RMI API that implements simple remote-reference layer on top of SOAP
      however XSOAP is not limited to RMI and can be used ot access
      any SOAP 1.1 based web service and as it is extensible other
      protocols can be added. XSOAP contains also implementation
      of RMI registry (both secure and unsecure) but allows also
      to use JNDI (tested with OpenLDAP) to bind and lookup services.
      it has also support for multiple transports, custom soap
      serialization styles, user customizable and automatic XML-Java
      mappings and much more :-)

      the software is available at http://www.extreme.indiana.edu/soap/
      and the latest source (if you want to be on the cutting edge)
      can now be obtained also from anonymous CVS
      (see FAQ in XSOAP distribution).

      this is the first public release of new XSOAP and as such is
      not yet fully tested but as soon as we gather more experience
      and feedback new versions will follow.

      please send us your comments, suggestions for improvements
      (and bug reports and!) to our mailing list at:
      http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/soaprmi/

      on behalf of Extreme! Computing Lab team,

      alek

      ps. we are also working on castor support for xsoap to allow
      transporting literal XML that is described by XML schema
      (actually subset of XML schemas that castor recognizes...)