alternative transports

    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 21, 2001

      Does anybody have any endpoints up available over transports other
      than HTTP ?, I have an SMTP endpoint up, anyone have any alternative
      transports running ? [raw TCP, DIME, Jabber etc]

      Thanks
      Simon
      www.pocketsoap.com
    • Paul Kulchenko
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 21, 2001
        Hi, Simon!

        I can bring up tcp, Jabber, POP3/SMTP enpoints pretty easily, but I
        need to babysit them (longrunning processes are forbidden where
        soaplite is hosted).

        Best wishes, Paul.

        http://personals.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 21, 2001
          Thanks Paul, do you have info on how the TCP transport works, do i
          just open a connection and send the envelope, etc ?

          Tx
          Simon

          On Sun, 21 Oct 2001 10:53:26 -0700 (PDT), in soap you wrote:

          >Hi, Simon!
          >
          >I can bring up tcp, Jabber, POP3/SMTP enpoints pretty easily, but I
          >need to babysit them (longrunning processes are forbidden where
          >soaplite is hosted).
          >
          >Best wishes, Paul.
          >
          >--- Simon Fell <soap@...> wrote:
          >> Hi,
          >>
          >> Does anybody have any endpoints up available over transports other
          >> than HTTP ?, I have an SMTP endpoint up, anyone have any
          >> alternative
          >> transports running ? [raw TCP, DIME, Jabber etc]
          >>
          >> Thanks
          >> Simon
          >> www.pocketsoap.com

          >> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          >Make a great connection at Yahoo! Personals.
          >http://personals.yahoo.com

        • Paul Kulchenko
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 21, 2001
            Hi, Simon!

            --- Simon Fell <soap@...> wrote:
            > Thanks Paul, do you have info on how the TCP transport works, do i
            > just open a connection and send the envelope, etc ?
            Pretty much. I don't use any headers, and to mark the end of
            transmition I close socket for writing, so another side can detect
            this and start sending (close socket when you're done). Shouldn't be
            difficult to implement. Everything else is the same as with HTTP. SSL
            support for TCP is also available. Let me know if you see it
            differently.

            Best wishes, Paul.

            http://personals.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 21, 2001
              anyone intereste in soap over beep?
              Encryption)
              http://www.zolera.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 21, 2001
                On Sun, 21 Oct 2001 17:08:42 -0400, in soap you wrote:

                >anyone intereste in soap over beep?

                yes, and i see that there's a C library now available for beep [last
                time i looked it was java only]

                www.pocketsoap.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 23, 2001
                  Hi Paul,

                  So that's the TCP one done [pretty trivial]. Any tips on getting your
                  Jabber server up and running, i have a clean W2k box here running
                  SOAP::Lite.

                  www.pocketsoap.com

                • dj.adams@gmx.net
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 29, 2001
                    --- In soapbuilders@y..., Simon Fell <soap@z...> wrote:
                    > Hi Paul,
                    >
                    > So that's the TCP one done [pretty trivial]. Any tips on getting
                    your
                    > Jabber server up and running, i have a clean W2k box here running

                    Hi

                    There's currently a discussion going on over on the Jabber RPC
                    interest group list [1] that's discussing the formalisation of SOAP
                    messages over Jabber.

                    I've re-written the SOAP::Transport::JABBER module of SOAP::Lite to
                    reflect the current way of thinking (from the list); I've also got a
                    couple of Perl modules that do exactly the same as the Perl modules
                    for Jabber-RPC [2], but for SOAP RPC (i.e. there's a
                    Jabber::SOAP::Client and a Jabber::SOAP::Server module). It uses
                    SOAP::Lite to perform the actual serialisation/deserialisation (can
                    you say "serdes", like "modem" for modulation/demodulation? ;-)

                    Bear in mind that the formalisation of SOAP messages over Jabber is
                    not complete. The Jabber::SOAP stuff, and my rewrite of the
                    SOAP::Transport::JABBER module reflects the RPC flavour of SOAP; the
                    use of Jabber to transport one-way (or multi-hop) SOAP messages (as
                    opposed to RPC request/response style) isn't there yet, as it's a
                    recent addition to the discussion.

                    Oh yeah, the SOAP::Transport::JABBER re-write also allows you to
                    build SOAP responders that connect to the Jabber server backbone as
                    components, rather than connecting as clients.

                    If you're interested, I could post the (early) code somewhere. I
                    haven't done yet due to, well, no excuse really ;-)

                    Kind regards
                    DJ

                    p.s. I don't have access to a W2K box, so I can't really advise on
                    compiling Jabber for it, but I'm pretty sure there have been some
                    recent messages on JDEV, the 'main' Jabber mailing list [3].

                    [2] http://www.pipetree.com/jabber/jrpc/
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 29, 2001
                      Thanks for the pointers, reading over them now. I would see supporting
                      one way async & multi-hop scenario's to be critical long term.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 30, 2001
                        I've just put up an experiment SOAP/Jabber server following the
                        proposal DJ outlines in the rpc-jig list. See [1]

                        [1]
                        http://mailman.jabber.org/pipermail/rpc-jig/2001-October/000047.html

                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 2, 2001
                          --- In soapbuilders@y..., Simon Fell <soap@z...> wrote:
                          > Thanks for the pointers, reading over them now. I would see
                          supporting
                          > one way async & multi-hop scenario's to be critical long term.

                          Hi Simon

                          Yes indeed, it looks that way is going to be quite interesting. Until
                          now, the SOAP-over-Jabber experiments have seemed pretty much to be
                          request/response style. If you (or anyone else on this list! :-) have
                          any thoughts or wishes etc - especially those that have already used
                          one-way async and multi-hop messages - please don't hesitate to let
                          the rpc-jig [1] list know, as all input and experience is welcome.

                          [That said, I think using a simple :x: based attachment to a Jabber
                          <message/> element is probably the right way to go for these types,
                          being the most generic and therefore the most flexible...]

                          Kind regards
                          DJ (sporadic 'net connection at the moment)

                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 2, 2001
                            On Fri, 02 Nov 2001 11:00:25 -0000, in soap you wrote:

                            >--- In soapbuilders@y..., Simon Fell <soap@z...> wrote:
                            >> Thanks for the pointers, reading over them now. I would see
                            >supporting
                            >> one way async & multi-hop scenario's to be critical long term.
                            >
                            >Hi Simon
                            >
                            >Yes indeed, it looks that way is going to be quite interesting. Until
                            >now, the SOAP-over-Jabber experiments have seemed pretty much to be
                            >request/response style. If you (or anyone else on this list! :-) have
                            >any thoughts or wishes etc - especially those that have already used
                            >one-way async and multi-hop messages - please don't hesitate to let
                            >the rpc-jig [1] list know, as all input and experience is welcome.
                            >
                            >[That said, I think using a simple :x: based attachment to a Jabber
                            ><message/> element is probably the right way to go for these types,
                            >being the most generic and therefore the most flexible...]
                            >
                            >Kind regards
                            >DJ (sporadic 'net connection at the moment)

                            I've been working from your proposal in rpc-jig[1]. Looking through
                            the jabber docs, it appears that <iq> implies a request/response
                            exchange [even though its over an async transport], is that correct ?
                            if so using <message> might be better, but that would probably need an
                            additional value for the type attribute defining.

                            [1]
                            http://mailman.jabber.org/pipermail/rpc-jig/2001-October/000016.html
                          • dj.adams@gmx.net
                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 5, 2001
                              > I've been working from your proposal in rpc-jig[1]. Looking through
                              > the jabber docs, it appears that <iq> implies a request/response
                              > exchange [even though its over an async transport], is that
                              correct ?
                              > if so using <message> might be better, but that would probably need
                              an
                              > additional value for the type attribute defining.

                              Hi Simon

                              You're right, and indeed later in the thread you pointed to on the
                              RPC-JIG mailing list, I (and others) seemed to agree that the
                              <message/> element could be used as well [1]. That is to say, the IQ
                              model is appropriate for request/response usages of SOAP, and the
                              message model is appropriate for the async, one-way and multi-hop
                              usages. There's no reason why we need to restrict ourselves to just
                              one Jabber element. I think I drew a parallel somewhere in that
                              thread to the split-personality of many of the standard jabber:
                              namespaces, e.g. jabber:x:oob and jabber:iq:oob.

                              May I humbly suggest we continue this on the RPC-JIG list, so as not
                              to lose focus or messages?

                              Thanks, and thanks for your input
                              dj

                              [1] http://mailman.jabber.org/pipermail/rpc-jig/2001-