Changes on our validator

  • Dave Winer
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 29, 2001
      A heads-up, our validator, http://validator.soapware.org/ is at the moment broken, but I'm fixing it.

      We've got the new version of our SOAP stack, the one that requires names on procedure parameters and pays no attention to order.

      When the breakage is cleared, if you've validated before you should re-test to be sure you still validate.

      It's also possible that some implementations that did not validate previously, now will.

      I should be finished with the changes and the docs, Murphy-willing, in about an hour.

      Seeya sooon!

      Dave
    • Dave Winer
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 29, 2001
        OK, the validator works again.

        The change notes are here:

        The validator now is running the code described in the Busy Developer's Guide to SOAP 1.1.

        Parameter names are significant, parameter order is not.

        The validator is here:

        All the other changes Jake made are deployed. He can tell you what they are.

        countTheEntities was documented but not implemented. I implemented it.

        We'll announce the changes on Scripting News first thing tomorrow morning.

        It would be great if we could also announce that some of the umpteen previously validated servers validate in the new way.

        There's also a good chance that some new implementations will validate.

        Whew!

        BTW, to Keith, the next thing on Jake's agenda after dinner is to address the issues you reported earlier today.

        Still diggin!

        Dave

        PS: What a whirlwind. This is the kind of coding I like.
      • Fredrik Lundh
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 29, 2001
          dave wrote:
          > OK, the validator works again.
          >
          > The change notes are here:
          >
          > http://soap.weblogs.com/validator1#changes32901
          >
          > The validator now is running the code described in the Busy Developer's
          > Guide to SOAP 1.1.

          > It would be great if we could also announce that some of the umpteen
          > previously validated servers validate in the new way.

          soaplib.py 0.9.1 still validates -- without a single change to
          the code.

          Cheers /F
        • Paul Kulchenko
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 29, 2001
            Hi, Dave!

            --- Fredrik Lundh <fredrik@...> wrote:
            > dave wrote:
            > > OK, the validator works again.
            > >
            > > The change notes are here:
            > >
            > > http://soap.weblogs.com/validator1#changes32901
            > >
            > > The validator now is running the code described in the Busy
            > Developer's
            > > Guide to SOAP 1.1.
            >
            > > It would be great if we could also announce that some of the
            > umpteen
            > > previously validated servers validate in the new way.
            >
            > soaplib.py 0.9.1 still validates -- without a single change to
            > the code.
            The same thing is true about SOAP::Lite. I've just added
            countTheEntities.

            Best wishes, Paul.

          • Dave Winer
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 29, 2001
              Great news Paul, and thanks Fredrik for testing..

              I'm done for the day, I'll be back bright and early to see what all changed.

              I'm feeling really good about the interop process now. I see there's a lot
              of stuff working now. That's so cool.

              See y'all tomorrow..

              Dave

              > > > The validator now is running the code described in the Busy
              > > Developer's
              > > > Guide to SOAP 1.1.
              > >
              > > > It would be great if we could also announce that some of the
              > > umpteen
              > > > previously validated servers validate in the new way.
              > >
              > > soaplib.py 0.9.1 still validates -- without a single change to
              > > the code.
              > The same thing is true about SOAP::Lite. I've just added
              > countTheEntities.
              >
              > Best wishes, Paul.

            • Fredrik Lundh
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 29, 2001
                paul wrote:
                > > soaplib.py 0.9.1 still validates -- without a single change to
                > > the code.
                >
                > The same thing is true about SOAP::Lite. I've just added
                > countTheEntities.

                I didn't even have to do that (ha! ;-)

                it was documented in the spec, but not implemented
                by their client. didn't realize that until I had the set
                up my server, of course...

                </F>

                PS. in case someone's interested, here's the *complete*
                validator implementation for Python:

                class Validator1:
                # see http://soap.weblogs.com/validator1

                def countTheEntities(self, str):
                return {
                "ctLeftAngleBrackets": str.count("<"),
                "ctRightAngleBrackets": str.count(">"),
                "ctAmpersands": str.count("&"),
                "ctApostrophes": str.count("'"),
                "ctQuotes": str.count('"')
                }

                def easyStructTest(self, struct):
                return struct["moe"] + struct["larry"] + struct["curly"]

                def echoStructTest(self, struct):
                return struct

                def manyTypesTest(self, *args):
                return args

                def moderateSizeArrayCheck(self, array):
                return array[0] + array[-1]

                def nestedStructTest(self, struct):
                entry = struct["year2000"]["month04"]["day01"]
                return entry["moe"] + entry["larry"] + entry["curly"]

                def simpleStructReturnTest(self, number):
                return {
                "times10": 10*number,
                "times100": 100*number,
                "times1000": 1000*number
                }
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 29, 2001
                  4s4c validates, all i had to do was add the counttheentities code, and
                  put in the new parameter names.

                  I'll put this up on soap.4s4c.com tomorrow.

                  On Fri, 30 Mar 2001 08:09:13 +0200, in soap you wrote:

                  >dave wrote:
                  >> OK, the validator works again.
                  >>
                  >> The change notes are here:
                  >>
                  >> http://soap.weblogs.com/validator1#changes32901
                  >>
                  >> The validator now is running the code described in the Busy Developer's
                  >> Guide to SOAP 1.1.
                  >
                  >> It would be great if we could also announce that some of the umpteen
                  >> previously validated servers validate in the new way.
                  >
                  >soaplib.py 0.9.1 still validates -- without a single change to
                  >the code.
                  >
                  >Cheers /F

                • Dave Winer
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 30, 2001
                    Fredrik I was wondering how your code could pass the validator without
                    changes now that we are in the "parameter names not order" era. If I were to
                    change the order of the parameters on the validator client, would that break
                    you? If so, there's a problem because according to the rules I can change
                    them at will, and you're supposed to still work. I didn't make these rules,
                    btw. Dave

                  • mstone@sqldata.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 30, 2001
                      I made several twists in our server (SQLData) and added the
                      countTheEntities function. Anyway, it is working now.

                      Cheers,

                      Mike