WSDL for SOAP attachments?

  • graham glass
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 3 4:45 PM
      does anyone have a sample WSDL that shows an RPC call that
      sends/receives SOAP attachments?

      cheers
      graham
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 3 5:21 PM
        > if i want to pass a MIME file between nodes, i can simply pass the URL of
        > the mime file to the server and the server can do an HTTP GET to load
        > the file.

        Sure, as long as the SOAP receiver can always trust that the SOAP sender
        will not send it a "malicious" URL that might (a) be something the
        client can't read, but the server can; (b) be something the server would
        be "embarassed" to fetch ('Graham, why is your server constantly going
        to "hotwax.com"?), etc.

        In addition, once the data is no longer directly included, it's
        inherently less reliable, it's hard to deal with signing/encryption,
        etc.

        Encryption)
        http://www.zolera.com
      • graham glass
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 3 8:40 PM
          hey, what's so bad about hotwax? ;-)

        • radosek@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 4 5:21 AM
            You can look at WASP Programmers Guide [1] - especially to the
            chapter 3.5. "Using MIME Multipart/Related Content Sending and
            Receiving" [2]. There is a WSDL example how MIME attachments are used
            in WSDL. This WSDL can be used for SOAP with Attachments as well.

            Comments?

            Radovan
            http://www.idoox.com

            [1] http://www.idoox.com/eap/wasp/doc/programmers_guide.html
            [2]
            http://www.idoox.com/eap/wasp/doc/htmldata/programmers_guide_body.html
            #ds_multipart

            --- In soapbuilders@y..., "graham glass" <graham@t...> wrote:
            > does anyone have a sample WSDL that shows an RPC call that
            > sends/receives SOAP attachments?
            >
            > cheers
            > graham
          • Matt Long
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 4 6:27 AM
              Hi Radovan,

              In example [2], the parts p0, p1 are typed base64Binary. my question is
              what impact if any would occur if the parts were typed hexBinary in the
              Idoox implementation?

              -Matt

            • djohnson
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 4 7:00 AM
                Hello All, Matt
              • Radovan Janecek
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 4 2:27 PM
                  Yes. You can try it out, just make this demo, replace
                  base64Binary by hexBinary in generated WSDL and run
                  the client. :-)

                  Sincerely

                  Radovan

                  http://im.yahoo.com
                • Pete Hendry
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 8 7:01 PM
                    Graham, sorry for the delay,

                    What about the cases where

                    - the document being attached is not from a file system
                    e.g. from a database (quite common)

                    - it is a file but it is secure. i.e. the client used some
                    sort of login over soap to access the service that is
                    providing the file. The deserialization code would
                    not know how to login to the website to retrieve the file

                    - the serverside code receives the object using some third
                    party code as an InputStream, a DataSource or whatever and
                    does not know how the data was stored

                    - the serverside code acts as a proxy to a back-end system
                    that returns the data - for example it may call a mainframe,
                    may call off to an external supplier, may use JMS, etc
                    (similar to first point but out of your control)

                    - the HTTP server hosting the file is down (but the service
                    is up)

                    - and of course, the WSDL for someone elses service that you
                    want to access specifies use of MIME

                    I'm sure there are more to add. Don't be so lazy (you've probably finished it by now ;) ).

                    Pete