Sparse array with null values

  • gavinbong@visto.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2001
      Given an array of say 3 items and all of the items are null;
      is this the correct serialization:

      <foo
      xsi:type="SOAP-ENC:Array"
      SOAP-ENC:arrayType="xsd:string[3]"
      xsi:null="true">
      </foo>

      or

      <foo
      xsi:type="SOAP-ENC:Array"
      SOAP-ENC:arrayType="xsd:string[3]">
      </foo>

      Thanks

      Gavin
    • Jacek Kopecky
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2001
        Gavin,
        In my opinion the second is the proper serialization because the
        first indicates that the array itself is not present, null.
        The difference in Java, for example, would be the one of

        String[] foo = null;
        or
        String[] foo = new String[3];

        There may be no difference here in some languages and SOAP
        itself doesn't say much on this topic.

        Jacek Kopecky

        Idoox
        http://www.idoox.com/

        On Thu, 2 Aug 2001 gavinbong@... wrote:

        > Given an array of say 3 items and all of the items are null;
        > is this the correct serialization:
        >
        > <foo
        > xsi:type="SOAP-ENC:Array"
        > SOAP-ENC:arrayType="xsd:string[3]"
        > xsi:null="true">
        > </foo>
        >
        > or
        >
        > <foo
        > xsi:type="SOAP-ENC:Array"
        > SOAP-ENC:arrayType="xsd:string[3]">
        > </foo>
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Gavin

      • Paul Kulchenko
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2, 2001
          Hi, gavinbong!

          Rather later than former. This is discussed periodically on this list
          and if later serializes array of null elements, former serializes
          null array (whatever it means in your language).

          Best wishes, Paul.

          http://phonecard.yahoo.com/