RE: [soapbuilders] question re: target namespaces for ArrayOfxxx

  • graham glass
    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 1, 2001
      hi bob,

      thanks for the info, but that doesn't really answer
      my original question.

      if i create a web service that uses arrays, it's very
      possible that the XML types that the web service uses
      would come from a bunch of different namespaces. the interop
      demo is fairly artificial in that it places all types into
      a single namespace, which i doubt will be the norm.

      several of these structures in turn might use a type such
      as array of xsd:strings, which is a general type in the
      same spirit as xsd:string itself.

      so which namespace should the array of strings go into?
      it's a no brainer for string - this is defined as xsd:string.
      what about array of xsd:string? it seems weird to me for
      this to go into a domain-specific namespace.

      comments?

      cheers,
      graham

      Message 2 of 25 , Aug 1, 2001
        Graham,

        The short answer is that it doesn't matter in what namespaces the
        types reside if both sender and receiver are validating against the
        same schemas... often in the form of a WSDL doc.

        Take a look at the typing for the ASP.NET endpoint as given in:

        http://www.mssoapinterop.org/asmx/simpleb.asmx?wsdl

        The types are found in two different namespaces,
        "http://soapinterop.org/xsd" and
        "http://soapinterop.org/encodedTypes".

        This is fine. Type "ArrayOfString" is used as the type of an
        accessor for compound type "SOAPArrayStruct", so there is a
        dependency on a type from a different namespace
        (http://soapinterop.org/encodedTypes), but that ok since that
        schema is available.

        Since the array of string is a compound type, it needs to be defined
        in a schema somewhere. In the absence of some existent schema
        defining such "commonplace" compound types, one must roll his
        own every time, in a domain specific (or arbitrary) namespace.
        WSDL generators seem content enough to do this.

        This has come up before, and you are right... it seems a little odd
        to be cooking up a new type every time you need an array of
        xsd:int or whatever.

        Is this what you meant?

        RC

        Message 3 of 25 , Aug 1, 2001
          Hello,

          The standard WSDL defines the struct using the particle "all",
          the doc mentioned below defines it using "sequence".

          The idea was, I think, that the when the struct was serialized, the
          order in which the accessors appeared would be insignificant.

          I guess that's a bit of a conflict, strictly speaking. Using
          "sequence" would impose the ordering contraint.

          RC

          > hi guys,
          >
          > the SOAPStruct elements in the following WSDL are
          > not in the order specified by the standard WSDL
          > for the base interop.
          >
          > http://soapclient.com/interop/sqldatainterop.wsdl
          >
          > cheers,
          > graham

        • graham glass
          Message 4 of 25 , Aug 1, 2001
            hi bob,

            yes, it seems odd to be putting the type definition
            of something as general as "array of int" into a namespace
            that can vary on a per-WSDL basis.

            a rule such as "put the ArrayOfXXX" type definition into
            the same namespace as "XXX" would be a simple approach.

          • graham glass
            Message 5 of 25 , Aug 1, 2001
              yes, it's the SQL data receiver that is complaining
              when GLUE sends it arguments in the order based on
              the shared WSDL file.

              cheers,
              graham

              The standard WSDL defines the struct using the particle "all",
              the doc mentioned below defines it using "sequence".

              The idea was, I think, that the when the struct was serialized, the
              order in which the accessors appeared would be insignificant.

              I guess that's a bit of a conflict, strictly speaking. Using
              "sequence" would impose the ordering contraint.

              RC

              > hi guys,
              >
              > the SOAPStruct elements in the following WSDL are
              > not in the order specified by the standard WSDL
              > for the base interop.
              >
              > http://soapclient.com/interop/sqldatainterop.wsdl
              >
              > cheers,
              > graham

            • Sam Ruby
              Message 6 of 25 , Aug 1, 2001
                Sam Ruby wrote:

                > One thing I noted is that attempting to invoke an undefined method
                > (e.g. echoMap) results in a java.lang.NullPointerException.

                Now echoMap hangs. Until this problem is resolved, I have removed kSOAP
                from the list of endpoints that Apache clients will test against.

                - Sam Ruby
              • Matt Long
                Message 7 of 25 , Aug 1, 2001
                  hi graham,

                  you would have to define a namespace for ArrayOf'Intrinsic-Types' and
                  everyone would have to recognize this, which certainly would be more
                  convenient than managing the schema for these cases.

                  -Matt

                • Mike Stone
                  Message 8 of 25 , Aug 2, 2001
                    Hi Graham:

                    I will change the endpoint to use the shared WSDL and add R2 Group B methods soon....

                    Thanks!

                    Mike Stone