Re: [soapbuilders] more problems with reading whitemesa WSDL from IE 6

    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 1, 2001
      Hello,

      Again, it's US-ASCII, and I have never had any trouble, either with
      browsers or tools that consume it...

      The files hasn't been touched since June 27th.

      RC

      Message 2 of 25 , Aug 1, 2001
        Hello,

        The Round 2 "base" proposal [1] refers to the WSDL doc [2]
        which places them in namespace "http://soapinterop.org/xsd".

        Many of the endpoints vary from this, I've noticed, when looking
        at the WSDL docs they publish. This will cause problems for
        clients assuming that the namespace will be that given in the
        proposal.

        RC

        [1] http://www.whitemesa.com/interop/proposal2.html
        [2] http://www.whitemesa.com/interop/InteropTest.wsdl

        > hi guys,
        >
        > what are the rules for defining the target namespace
        > for ArrayOfxxx type definitions? for example, does it
        > matter which target namespace a WSDL definition places
        > the declaration of ArrayOfint, ArrayOfSOAPStruct, etc?
        >
        > it doesn't seem like it should matter, since it's
        > really the type of the element that's important, but
        > i'm interested to know if there's a rule somewhere
        > that should be used.
        >
        > cheers,
        > graham

      • graham glass
        Message 3 of 25 , Aug 1, 2001
          hi bob,

          thanks for the info, but that doesn't really answer
          my original question.

          if i create a web service that uses arrays, it's very
          possible that the XML types that the web service uses
          would come from a bunch of different namespaces. the interop
          demo is fairly artificial in that it places all types into
          a single namespace, which i doubt will be the norm.

          several of these structures in turn might use a type such
          as array of xsd:strings, which is a general type in the
          same spirit as xsd:string itself.

          so which namespace should the array of strings go into?
          it's a no brainer for string - this is defined as xsd:string.
          what about array of xsd:string? it seems weird to me for
          this to go into a domain-specific namespace.

          comments?

          cheers,
          graham

          Message 4 of 25 , Aug 1, 2001
            Graham,

            The short answer is that it doesn't matter in what namespaces the
            types reside if both sender and receiver are validating against the
            same schemas... often in the form of a WSDL doc.

            Take a look at the typing for the ASP.NET endpoint as given in:

            http://www.mssoapinterop.org/asmx/simpleb.asmx?wsdl

            The types are found in two different namespaces,
            "http://soapinterop.org/xsd" and
            "http://soapinterop.org/encodedTypes".

            This is fine. Type "ArrayOfString" is used as the type of an
            accessor for compound type "SOAPArrayStruct", so there is a
            dependency on a type from a different namespace
            (http://soapinterop.org/encodedTypes), but that ok since that
            schema is available.

            Since the array of string is a compound type, it needs to be defined
            in a schema somewhere. In the absence of some existent schema
            defining such "commonplace" compound types, one must roll his
            own every time, in a domain specific (or arbitrary) namespace.
            WSDL generators seem content enough to do this.

            This has come up before, and you are right... it seems a little odd
            to be cooking up a new type every time you need an array of
            xsd:int or whatever.

            Is this what you meant?

            RC

            Message 5 of 25 , Aug 1, 2001
              Hello,

              The standard WSDL defines the struct using the particle "all",
              the doc mentioned below defines it using "sequence".

              The idea was, I think, that the when the struct was serialized, the
              order in which the accessors appeared would be insignificant.

              I guess that's a bit of a conflict, strictly speaking. Using
              "sequence" would impose the ordering contraint.

              RC

              > hi guys,
              >
              > the SOAPStruct elements in the following WSDL are
              > not in the order specified by the standard WSDL
              > for the base interop.
              >
              > http://soapclient.com/interop/sqldatainterop.wsdl
              >
              > cheers,
              > graham

            • graham glass
              Message 6 of 25 , Aug 1, 2001
                hi bob,

                yes, it seems odd to be putting the type definition
                of something as general as "array of int" into a namespace
                that can vary on a per-WSDL basis.

                a rule such as "put the ArrayOfXXX" type definition into
                the same namespace as "XXX" would be a simple approach.

              • graham glass
                Message 7 of 25 , Aug 1, 2001
                  yes, it's the SQL data receiver that is complaining
                  when GLUE sends it arguments in the order based on
                  the shared WSDL file.

                  cheers,
                  graham

                  The standard WSDL defines the struct using the particle "all",
                  the doc mentioned below defines it using "sequence".

                  The idea was, I think, that the when the struct was serialized, the
                  order in which the accessors appeared would be insignificant.

                  I guess that's a bit of a conflict, strictly speaking. Using
                  "sequence" would impose the ordering contraint.

                  RC

                  > hi guys,
                  >
                  > the SOAPStruct elements in the following WSDL are
                  > not in the order specified by the standard WSDL
                  > for the base interop.
                  >
                  > http://soapclient.com/interop/sqldatainterop.wsdl
                  >
                  > cheers,
                  > graham

                • Sam Ruby
                  Message 8 of 25 , Aug 1, 2001
                    Sam Ruby wrote:

                    > One thing I noted is that attempting to invoke an undefined method
                    > (e.g. echoMap) results in a java.lang.NullPointerException.

                    Now echoMap hangs. Until this problem is resolved, I have removed kSOAP
                    from the list of endpoints that Apache clients will test against.

                    - Sam Ruby
                  • Matt Long
                    Message 9 of 25 , Aug 1, 2001
                      hi graham,

                      you would have to define a namespace for ArrayOf'Intrinsic-Types' and
                      everyone would have to recognize this, which certainly would be more
                      convenient than managing the schema for these cases.

                      -Matt

                    • Mike Stone
                      Message 10 of 25 , Aug 2, 2001
                        Hi Graham:

                        I will change the endpoint to use the shared WSDL and add R2 Group B methods soon....

                        Thanks!

                        Mike Stone