Toolkit support for HTTP cookies

  • jpflum@microsoft.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2001
      I am trying to determine how common support is in the various SOAP
      toolkits for handling HTTP cookies returned by a Web Service.
      Primarily, what support client side proxy code has for managing them
      and sending them back to the server when appropriate.

      The Microsoft.NET Frameworks makes it possible using the
      CookieContainer mechanism, which is a property of the
      SoapHTTPClientProtocol class, from which client proxies typically
      derive. It's not automatic, but very simple to use. The SOAP Toolkit
      2.0 on the other hand doesn't currently support cookies.

      I did a test using a client I wrote with Apache SOAP 2.2, and didn't
      see the client sending cookies on subsequent requests, so it appears
      that it doesn't support cookies either.

      What about other toolkits, Glue, IBM WSTK, etc.

      Thanks...
    • Paul Kulchenko
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2001
        Hi, jpflum@...!

        > I did a test using a client I wrote with Apache SOAP 2.2, and
        > didn't
        > see the client sending cookies on subsequent requests, so it
        > appears that it doesn't support cookies either.
        If it doesn't send by default it doesn't mean it doesn't support it
        :). SOAP::Lite also doesn't send cookies by default, but it's easy to
        switch it on:

        use HTTP::Cookies;

        my $soap = SOAP::Lite
        -> uri('urn:xmethodsInterop')
        -> proxy('http://services.xmethods.net/soap/servlet/rpcrouter',
        cookie_jar => HTTP::Cookies->new(ignore_discard => 1));
        print $soap->echoString('Hello')->result;

        cookie_jar line does what you want. with 'file' parameter cookies
        also can be stored on disk to keep them between sessions. Let me know
        if you need a client code for your endpoint.

        Best wishes, Paul.

        http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2001
          pocketSOAP doesn't support this. In the cases where i've needed
          session capabilities, i've always baked it into the SOAP layer, not
          the transport layer.

        • jpflum@microsoft.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 1, 2001
            I was incorrect about Apache SOAP 2.2. It does support cookies if
            SOAPHTTPConnection.setMaintainSession=true, and the same instance of
            the SOAPHTTPConnection is used for subsequent SOAP requests.

            Sorry for an confusion...