Re: [soapbuilders] Re: kSOAP interop w. WM, Apache, SOAP4R

  • Sam Ruby
    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 1, 2001
      Stefan Haustein wrote:

      > From the kSOAP client perspective, Axis
      > works fine now... :-)

      And from the Axis perspective, kSOAP works fine now too! ;-)

      One thing I noted is that attempting to invoke an undefined method (e.g.
      echoMap) results in a java.lang.NullPointerException.

      - Sam Ruby
      Message 2 of 25 , Aug 1, 2001
        Hello,

        Again, it's US-ASCII, and I have never had any trouble, either with
        browsers or tools that consume it...

        The files hasn't been touched since June 27th.

        RC

        Message 3 of 25 , Aug 1, 2001
          Hello,

          The Round 2 "base" proposal [1] refers to the WSDL doc [2]
          which places them in namespace "http://soapinterop.org/xsd".

          Many of the endpoints vary from this, I've noticed, when looking
          at the WSDL docs they publish. This will cause problems for
          clients assuming that the namespace will be that given in the
          proposal.

          RC

          [1] http://www.whitemesa.com/interop/proposal2.html
          [2] http://www.whitemesa.com/interop/InteropTest.wsdl

          > hi guys,
          >
          > what are the rules for defining the target namespace
          > for ArrayOfxxx type definitions? for example, does it
          > matter which target namespace a WSDL definition places
          > the declaration of ArrayOfint, ArrayOfSOAPStruct, etc?
          >
          > it doesn't seem like it should matter, since it's
          > really the type of the element that's important, but
          > i'm interested to know if there's a rule somewhere
          > that should be used.
          >
          > cheers,
          > graham

        • graham glass
          Message 4 of 25 , Aug 1, 2001
            hi bob,

            thanks for the info, but that doesn't really answer
            my original question.

            if i create a web service that uses arrays, it's very
            possible that the XML types that the web service uses
            would come from a bunch of different namespaces. the interop
            demo is fairly artificial in that it places all types into
            a single namespace, which i doubt will be the norm.

            several of these structures in turn might use a type such
            as array of xsd:strings, which is a general type in the
            same spirit as xsd:string itself.

            so which namespace should the array of strings go into?
            it's a no brainer for string - this is defined as xsd:string.
            what about array of xsd:string? it seems weird to me for
            this to go into a domain-specific namespace.

            comments?

            cheers,
            graham

            Message 5 of 25 , Aug 1, 2001
              Graham,

              The short answer is that it doesn't matter in what namespaces the
              types reside if both sender and receiver are validating against the
              same schemas... often in the form of a WSDL doc.

              Take a look at the typing for the ASP.NET endpoint as given in:

              http://www.mssoapinterop.org/asmx/simpleb.asmx?wsdl

              The types are found in two different namespaces,
              "http://soapinterop.org/xsd" and
              "http://soapinterop.org/encodedTypes".

              This is fine. Type "ArrayOfString" is used as the type of an
              accessor for compound type "SOAPArrayStruct", so there is a
              dependency on a type from a different namespace
              (http://soapinterop.org/encodedTypes), but that ok since that
              schema is available.

              Since the array of string is a compound type, it needs to be defined
              in a schema somewhere. In the absence of some existent schema
              defining such "commonplace" compound types, one must roll his
              own every time, in a domain specific (or arbitrary) namespace.
              WSDL generators seem content enough to do this.

              This has come up before, and you are right... it seems a little odd
              to be cooking up a new type every time you need an array of
              xsd:int or whatever.

              Is this what you meant?

              RC

              Message 6 of 25 , Aug 1, 2001
                Hello,

                The standard WSDL defines the struct using the particle "all",
                the doc mentioned below defines it using "sequence".

                The idea was, I think, that the when the struct was serialized, the
                order in which the accessors appeared would be insignificant.

                I guess that's a bit of a conflict, strictly speaking. Using
                "sequence" would impose the ordering contraint.

                RC

                > hi guys,
                >
                > the SOAPStruct elements in the following WSDL are
                > not in the order specified by the standard WSDL
                > for the base interop.
                >
                > http://soapclient.com/interop/sqldatainterop.wsdl
                >
                > cheers,
                > graham

              • graham glass
                Message 7 of 25 , Aug 1, 2001
                  hi bob,

                  yes, it seems odd to be putting the type definition
                  of something as general as "array of int" into a namespace
                  that can vary on a per-WSDL basis.

                  a rule such as "put the ArrayOfXXX" type definition into
                  the same namespace as "XXX" would be a simple approach.

                • graham glass
                  Message 8 of 25 , Aug 1, 2001
                    yes, it's the SQL data receiver that is complaining
                    when GLUE sends it arguments in the order based on
                    the shared WSDL file.

                    cheers,
                    graham

                    The standard WSDL defines the struct using the particle "all",
                    the doc mentioned below defines it using "sequence".

                    The idea was, I think, that the when the struct was serialized, the
                    order in which the accessors appeared would be insignificant.

                    I guess that's a bit of a conflict, strictly speaking. Using
                    "sequence" would impose the ordering contraint.

                    RC

                    > hi guys,
                    >
                    > the SOAPStruct elements in the following WSDL are
                    > not in the order specified by the standard WSDL
                    > for the base interop.
                    >
                    > http://soapclient.com/interop/sqldatainterop.wsdl
                    >
                    > cheers,
                    > graham

                  • Sam Ruby
                    Message 9 of 25 , Aug 1, 2001
                      Sam Ruby wrote:

                      > One thing I noted is that attempting to invoke an undefined method
                      > (e.g. echoMap) results in a java.lang.NullPointerException.

                      Now echoMap hangs. Until this problem is resolved, I have removed kSOAP
                      from the list of endpoints that Apache clients will test against.

                      - Sam Ruby
                    • Matt Long
                      Message 10 of 25 , Aug 1, 2001
                        hi graham,

                        you would have to define a namespace for ArrayOf'Intrinsic-Types' and
                        everyone would have to recognize this, which certainly would be more
                        convenient than managing the schema for these cases.

                        -Matt

                      • Mike Stone
                        Message 11 of 25 , Aug 2, 2001
                          Hi Graham:

                          I will change the endpoint to use the shared WSDL and add R2 Group B methods soon....

                          Thanks!

                          Mike Stone